Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman Austria 2014

Options
  • 22-06-2013 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to do an Ironman next year and this looks the most appealing (I have weighed up the pros and cons of Ironman V Challenge events so please don't go off topic).

Has anybody here experienced it? Course looks fine, more worried bout logistics. Does it really sell out in 10-15mns? Goes on sale next weekend.

Also, seems bout equidistant drive from Venice and Vienna, are there companies that organize transfers or is car rental a must?

And finally, heard mixed reports about accommodation? Myself and the other half would likely be looking for a 3* hotel off 3/4 days, are they in short supply in Klagenfurt?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I'm looking to do an Ironman next year and this looks the most appealing (I have weighed up the pros and cons of Ironman V Challenge events so please don't go off topic).

Has anybody here experienced it? Course looks fine, more worried bout logistics. Does it really sell out in 10-15mns? Goes on sale next weekend.

Also, seems bout equidistant drive from Venice and Vienna, are there companies that organize transfers or is car rental a must?

And finally, heard mixed reports about accommodation? Myself and the other half would likely be looking for a 3* hotel off 3/4 days, are they in short supply in Klagenfurt?

Cheers

I did this race 3 years ago. It sells out pretty quick (think it was done in 20mins that year). If you know someone there this year, they can register you onsite the day after this years race.

When I went we flew and rented a car. You can look into using Nirvana Europe if you're happy to pay more and have some of the logistics taken out of it (they'll sort transfers, ground transport, and accommodation). Alternatively, you could use the company who are transporting bikes to european races and fly+drive without the additional trouble of lugging a bike box.

Cant comment on accommodation, we rented an apartment in the town when we were there. It's a lovely spot, but its a small town so wouldn't be setting off with the sort of expectations you might have for a standard city break.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Any other boardsies sign up for this? Went on sale at 11pm last night - not sold out yet it appears.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Any other boardsies sign up for this? Went on sale at 11pm last night - not sold out yet it appears.
    Havent got the shillings for it for 2014, but I would love to do it again. I'm sure another few locals will be doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Yep, signed up last night.

A long way away but initial nerves of 'wtf have I just done ' are in play :D

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gilleek2

Cheers

Did this in '11 & '12, swim can be non wetsuit as it was in '12 altho that was the 1st time in 15 years.
    Bike course has a couple of lumps in it but nothing like what you can find in Wicklow. Couple of rolly bits too. Wouldnt call them hills but they're not flats either. Road surface is lovely in general.
    Run is virtually flat except for a couple of 100m sections along the canal which after 200k become hard as hell! Run is well shaded too(c.70%) especially as you run from the finish area towards the town.

Because they know they have you by the short and curlies hotels jack the prices right up! Stayed in Hotel Porcia Palais in '11 and the Hotel Sandwirth last year. Both lovely but neither were cheap. Both in the town & 200/300m from the bike shop (Mountainbiker.at) for last minute tweeks!

Get a room with air con just in case it's hot.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the advice. Sounds an awesome race from what I've heard (only people seem to complain about is the canal at the end of the swim?). I'm signed up anyway so need to start looking at both logistics and training schedule now.

For logistics, I started looking at a few hotels (would barely call them that) who are quoting €95 for a double room - the gf is coming too. Sounds reasonable enough. Although 4 night minimum stay. Looking at apartments too.

For training, I've come from a 3.39 Connemarathon and 5.38 Skerries HIM this year so looking to just maintain the fitness this year (possibly another Olympic Triathlon and Dublin Marathon). Break of sorts then till Christmas, before jacking it back up in the new year. Thinking at the moment of doing Tri An Mhi HIM (probably 6 weeks before IM) and Cork Marathon (probably 4 weeks before IM) next year. Does that sound enough time to taper/recover?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Cheers for the advice. Sounds an awesome race from what I've heard (only people seem to complain about is the canal at the end of the swim?). I'm signed up anyway so need to start looking at both logistics and training schedule now.

For logistics, I started looking at a few hotels (would barely call them that) who are quoting €95 for a double room - the gf is coming too. Sounds reasonable enough. Although 4 night minimum stay. Looking at apartments too.

For training, I've come from a 3.39 Connemarathon and 5.38 Skerries HIM this year so looking to just maintain the fitness this year (possibly another Olympic Triathlon and Dublin Marathon). Break of sorts then till Christmas, before jacking it back up in the new year. Thinking at the moment of doing Tri An Mhi HIM (probably 6 weeks before IM) and Cork Marathon (probably 4 weeks before IM) next year. Does that sound enough time to taper/recover?

Canal is nice, very nice atmosphere.

Breaking util Christmas is a bad idea, Oct/Nov/Dec is when the work is done.

HIM 6 weeks out sounds like a bad idea

Marathon 4 weeks out is so ridiculous an idea I think you must be trolling

tunney wrote: »
    Breaking util Christmas is a bad idea, Oct/Nov/Dec is when the work is done.

HIM 6 weeks out sounds like a bad idea

Marathon 4 weeks out is so ridiculous an idea
    hmmm, cheers for the reply.

That was my long term plan, felt if I continued training from now to then I'd burn out so was planning a "break" of sorts (ie still going for a few 8 mile runs, swim sessions, spinning classes etc a week, just not the long cycles/runs)

I always find I recover quite quickly after events, and most training plans seem to suggest that type of distance.

From Ironman.com ...."If possible, include an Olympic or half-distance race about six to eight weeks before your Ironman."
    Most training plans would include max runs of 20miles anyway, the extra 6 is hardly gonna break the camel (or my) back at that stage.

Cheers for the feedback anyway, I'll have a rethink

tunney will come back with his own comments, but for me, a marathon at all in a training plan, is unneccesary. Its not the mileage, its the pacing. In a race situation you will probably run too hard, and even if you don't, yes, that extra six miles will certainly matter. In the bulk of a training plan (4 weeks out is peak) you will be training tired all of the time and on an edge in terms of burnout/injury. A marathon is too much of an ask at that point.

That said, I did a double oly 4 weeks out from Austria last year, and it was fine, it was a confidence booster, if anything. It did mean my last peak week was torture though, as I was tired, and whether it affected my IM I will never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gilleek2

Oryx wrote: »
    tunney will come back with his own comments, but for me, a marathon at all in a training plan, is unneccesary. Its not the mileage, its the pacing. In a race situation you will probably run too hard, and even if you don't, yes, that extra six miles will certainly matter. In the bulk of a training plan (4 weeks out is peak) you will be training tired all of the time and on an edge in terms of burnout/injury. A marathon is too much of an ask at that point.

That said, I did a double oly 4 weeks out from Austria last year, and it was fine, it was a confidence booster, if anything. It did mean my last peak week was torture though, as I was tired, and whether it affected my IM I will never know.

I did Tri an Mhi and Athy Double last year c. 6 & c. 4 weeks from race day and i think i was fine, bettered my 2011 time and moved up 400+ places on a challenging day. Marathon unnecessary. 4 weeks from the race is nuts! Do Dublin this Autumn and leave it at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭smithwicks

I would recommend Hotel Dermuth in Portschach if you end up renting a car. It's 11km outside klagenfurt on the Krumpendorf side (run route). I paid €623 for 6 nights half board. They also had a 4am breakfast on race morning.

You will be able to rent a car for €100-€150. It was nice to have one to recce the cycle route and for spinning around in general.

I'm a bit wired by nature so staying away from klagenfurt pre race was a great thing. Portschach is a lovely town, right on the like also. Nice and chilled

Ps. Food is pricey so get half board if you can. Lunch was €40-50 for 2 @ expo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Think everyone in our club has done Tri an Mhi in the run up to Austria and Frankfurt this year and last. Including miller82 who just did 10 hours and one of the girls who dipped under 10:30....

• Registered Users Posts: 43 kat2171

Signed up for Austria aswell. First IM.
    Planning on going with other half and 3 kids.
    Just wondering if anyone can recommend any self catering apts!
    Any other advice appreciated.

Rough plan of staying away for 2 wks. Maybe 4/5 days at race then spending a wk somewhere else... mostly concerned with accommodation for race at this stage... Kids are 4,6 and 8.
    Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭tridying

I have signed up for 2014 , anyone interested in sharing transport from airport to race venue feel free to contact me :) , haven't done Austria , so accommodation advise welcome !!

What distance markers are on the course for IM Austria?

Is the marathon marked in km/miles?

What distance markers are on the course for IM Austria?

Is the marathon marked in km/miles?

Europe == KMs

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

HIM 6 weeks out is a great idea - IMO its will give you a good sense for the level you are at across all 3 disciplines and help focus your last block leading into the race.

Don't mind the distance markers in Austria, if they are anything like this year they cant be replied on.

trinewbie wrote: »
    HIM 6 weeks out is a great idea - IMO its will give you a good sense for the level you are at across all 3 disciplines and help focus your last block leading into the race.

Don't mind the distance markers in Austria, if they are anything like this year they cant be replied on.
    In 2012 I particularly remember the last km of the run being the longest km I ever did. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 iarmhi1975

kat2171 wrote: »
    Signed up for Austria aswell. First IM.
    Planning on going with other half and 3 kids.
    Just wondering if anyone can recommend any self catering apts!
    Any other advice appreciated.

Rough plan of staying away for 2 wks. Maybe 4/5 days at race then spending a wk somewhere else... mostly concerned with accommodation for race at this stage... Kids are 4,6 and 8.
    Tks

I have signed up as well and initially looked at this place(Wahaha Paradise)when we were considering bringing the children. They offer full board and half board in apartments and it looks as if there would be plenty to do for the children

Best of Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Everyone have acomodation booked at this stage?

I am looking at 2 places (of the few still available)

Hotel Seehof and Hotel Sonnenhof. Anyone have any knowledge of these hotels or stay there before?

Very few reviews on the web about them.

Cheers

• Advertisement

Yup, booked into Carinthia Stadthotel - €150 a night for a double room.

Flight prices seem very high at the moment - bout €250 to Vienna. Presume you might pick up a bargain closer to the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭tridying

when is everyone heading out to Klangenfurt ? im thinking the Thursday ?

As you've probably seen elsewhere the TI calendar for next year is out. Looking at a half distance event in the run-up to Austria. Options seem to be....
    - 25th May -> Lough Cutra (Half Distance)
    - 31st May -> TriAthy (Double Olympic)
    - 7th June -> Tri an Mhi (Half Distance)

Would Tri an Mhi 3 weeks before Ironman be madness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

As you've probably seen elsewhere the TI calendar for next year is out. Looking at a half distance event in the run-up to Austria. Options seem to be....
    - 25th May -> Lough Cutra (Half Distance)
    - 31st May -> TriAthy (Double Olympic)
    - 7th June -> Tri an Mhi (Half Distance)

Would Tri an Mhi 3 weeks before Ironman be madness?

Yes it would. No need to do a HIM before a full.

I did Athy double, and I felt it set me up well. Tri an mhi is that it is just at the start of your taper anyway, you could see that as a plus, but if it were my decision Id be doing races further back.

Oryx wrote: »
    I did Athy double, and I felt it set me up well. Tri an mhi is that it is just at the start of your taper anyway, you could see that as a plus, but if it were my decision Id be doing races further back.
    Yeah Tri an Mhi was on my draft plan when it was mid-May. Will have to rethink now.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Got notification today that i got one of the "lottery" places for 2014 and I have 5 days to pay the €485 + fee .
    It will be my 1st Ironman .
    Would you recommend this or Weymouth in Sept?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Personally I'd go to Austria as it's an established race with a very good reputation. It gets great reviews in general. The only concern might be the chance on a non-wetsuit swim

pgibbo wrote: »
    The only concern might be the chance on a non-wetsuit swim
    Which, trust me, is not as bad as it sounds.

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    Personally I'd go to Austria as it's an established race with a very good reputation. It gets great reviews in general. The only concern might be the chance on a non-wetsuit swim

Any european race might be!

In 2009 (or was it 2010) we were told "the late is too hot for wetsuits in general, but there is one spot *over there* in the shade of that tree that its just acceptable so we measured it there.

For 90% non wetsuit == disaster, which is why its a good idea to learn to swim properly and get your body position and kick right. The really boring, painful crappy stuff that people avoid but that actually makes you able to swim.

Advertisement