Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman Austria 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Reputation says Austria

Weather says Austria

Course probably Austria

Kona qual probably UK

So down to cost differences and whichever race date suits you best as a fair diff there June vs sept.

If Sept , Mallorca may be worth considering also.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I assume there is no choice in IM when it's borderline wetsuit/non wetsuit?
    If it's too warm in general, you can't choose to not wear a wetsuit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I assume there is no choice in IM when it's borderline wetsuit/non wetsuit?
    If it's too warm in general, you can't choose to not wear a wetsuit?

My understanding is you can still wear the wetsuit but you can't get a qualification spot. I may be wrong but I thought that was the rule.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

pgibbo wrote: »
    My understanding is you can still wear the wetsuit but you can't get a qualification spot. I may be wrong but I thought that was the rule.
    In 2012 wetsuits were banned altogether. I think it depends on the water temp. I presume it was over the maximum for permitted wetsuits then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

If you are american. (well in an american race).

Europe? HTFU this is ironman, next you will want swim breaks on pontoons.

• Advertisement

Just got my Christmas card from Hotel Dermuth. Really disappointed I binned Austria 2013.

tunney wrote: »
    If you are american. (well in an american race).

Europe? HTFU this is ironman, next you will want swim breaks on pontoons.

I merely stated what I believed to be the rule. I wasn't implying that it was what I wanted or what I would expect ;) No point signing up for the distance if you can't swim it without a wetsuit IMO :D

I merely stated what I believed to be the rule.

It is the rule for the north american IMs. Wetsuits at any temperature but no slots. They also have pontoons for rests in case people get tired in the swim.

It is the rule for the north american IMs. Wetsuits at any temperature but no slots. They also have pontoons for rests in case people get tired in the swim.

Really???? :eek: I thought you were slagging my crap swimming :D Apologies

No, deadly serious
    Anchored resting rafts to be strategically placed along the swim course (please note that athletes will NOT be disqualified by resting on these floats).

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon-news/articles/2013/05/swimsmart-initiative.aspx#axzz2SnyxkCEv

• Advertisement

General triathlon rules allow competitors to rest on kayaks without dq as long as they don't gain any forward movement or advantage.

Not saying I agree with it but the rules are clear.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Oryx wrote: »
    In 2012 wetsuits were banned altogether. I think it depends on the water temp. I presume it was over the maximum for permitted wetsuits then.

Yeah what I was wondering was, in the case tunney mentioned, could people have gone non-wetsuit?

Yeah what I was wondering was, in the case tunney mentioned, could people have gone non-wetsuit?

In Austria (and Frankfurt) there is the assumption that you can swim. Don't want to wear a wetsuit then don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hey now.....;)

The rules I am familiar with in the US are that age groupers can wear a wetsuit and qualify for prizes/slots if the water temp is 78 F or less. If the temp is between 78.1 F and 84 F, then age groupers can wear wet suits, but are not eligible for prizes/slots. And at temps above 84 F wet suits are NOT allowed for safety/health reasons. Elite athletes apparently have to follow different water temp rules.

http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/rulebook.aspx

No. He wasn't slagging you. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭altercor

Wetsuits were banned outright in Zurich this year. I can't remember exactly the temp but think it was in the region of 28.5c No choice on wetsuit/no wetsuit. I think I remember a comment that the choice depended on the race/country's federation. I could be wrong there.. THere seems to be a discrepency from race to race on one or two things in the rules. It made for a tough (slow) swim for me but Lake Zurich: What a place to do an OW swim without a suit! Amazing feeling.

For me to go from training all year in a pool and sometimes wishing I had two suits on to keep warm anytime I went in to the OW to being able to swim in a clear, warm lake without a constricting suit was really cool. I did a training swim without the suit in the days leading up to the event over there and it was just amazing!

Shame about what happened for the rest of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I see next year they are allowing 800 age-groupers start with the pros at 6.45am rather than at 7am. Presume this is to cut down the madness at the start. So by my calculations, if there's 2,200 competitiors, 800 start first, then 1400 take off 15 minutes later. It's first come first served with regards to who gets in the first wave, not reliant on times etc

Think I might aim to be towards the back of the first wave, a lot of people will overtake me for sure, but at least I'll avoid the massive mess I've heard about at the start.

Quick question tho, how will the clock at the finish line know my finish time? Is the finish time clock set to the starters or age groupers wave start? Obviously I'll have the chip timing me, but I'd like it to be right for the photo :)
    Registration for the first starting wave at the IRONMAN Austria 2014
    Like the year before we will have a first and second starting wave this year again in order to secure an even fairer race.

What is new?
    The first starting wave at the IRONMAN Austria 2014 will be raised to 800 starter.

Registration criteria:
    After the principle – first come, first served. The first 800 athletes who register for the first starting wave, after the registration opens will get the slot. There is no need of prove that a certain race time was achieved in a previous IRONMAN race.

When is the start?
    The start is on the 30th June 2014 at 6:45 am together with all professional athletes.

Important information:
    Please note that it is not possible to change the starting wave, once you have registered for it.
    Furthermore we would like to ask you, not to register for the first starting wave if you are a slow swimmer.

Start of registration:
    Tuesday, 21st of January 2014 at 12am CET

How's everyone's preperations going for this? NeedsTraining, kat2171, tridying, iarmhi1975, are ye all still going? 17 weeks left.

I've been ticking away nicely. Since Christmas I've been swimming in UCD pool 3 times a week, 2 bike sessions (1 long, 1 short) as well as one spinning session a week, and 3 runs (1 long, 1 short, 1 interval) a week. Been building them up nicely and haven't missed too much.

Feeling good about the swim and run, cycle is still a bit slower than I'd like (averaging about 24km/h at the moment but putting some of that down to weather, traffic, hilly routes etc). Hopefully it'll be a lot easier to get out for long cycles in April, May, June.

Plan for me from here gets a bit mixed - 3 stags and a wedding in the next 5 weeks is a spanner in the works, clean sweep then for April, May, June. Hoping to do Tour De Foothills, Orwell Radonne, TriAthy Double Olympic (planning not to do all the run), and then Killiney Ironman Swim.

Have flights booked to Munich on the Friday, 5hr train then to Klagenfurt.

Which wave did you get into?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 iarmhi1975

Shedite 27

Im still going but lucky as I had a couple of falls on the bike. One due to black ice the other due to a stupid cyclist and not this stupid cyclist.

I am running reasonably well for the heart rate that I am training at and have seem the pace per km come down and that is good.

Swimming well for my abilities and I am happy with that too. However, my biking is poor at the moment and I am not happy with my averages at all. I have been working on the base and concentrating on cadence before I add any power but it still seems poor. Hopefullly I have enough time for it to come right.

Very hard to get out on the bike with the weather conditions that we are facing.

Currently its 3 swims, 3 bikes(2 turbo and 1 outdoor), 3 runs and 1/2 gyms depending on the work week.

Like yourself I am planning Double Athy and also not planning on full run there as I don't like the surface of the run. I didn't know about the swim in Killiney nor the Tour de Foothills so I will look them up.

What kind of setup on the bike works in Austria. I have no idea how severe the hills are?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Heading to Austria too , only booked hotel last Friday .

Training going ok, using the Don Fink plan at intermediate level, swimming about 2 1/2 sessions per total about 140mins . Bike sessions are 3 per week usually on the Turbo (begining to hate the sight of it), I tag a brick onto 1 of these and 1 long 3hr+ spin Sunday in usually shi*e weather , thats been tough as the averages are way down . Runs are ticking over usually 3 per week but getting the long weekend run which is at about 90/100mins .Looking forward to the brighter mornings to get early morning sessions to halp balance the schedule , currently traing 6 days a week which is a drag with Monday been a rest day but I might change that around to get Sunday in as a rest day with the family.
    Planning on the Connemara half marathon , Joey Hannon and the Athy Double at training pace .

I am not planning on setting the world on fire in Austria and if I can get around in about 13:30 I will be happy .
    I haven't booked the flights yets but no option fills me with joy looking at the way the flights are set out .
    How many nights are people staying ? I am tentatively staying for 5 nights (Thurs-Tue).

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    Which wave did you get into?
    Went with the first wave. I'm a decent swimmer so shouldn't be too out of my depth. Reckon with a 15min start there shouldn't be too many from wave 2 passing me.
    iarmhi1975 wrote: »
    What kind of setup on the bike works in Austria. I have no idea how severe the hills are?
    The hills don't seem to be too bad. Toughest bit I see is about a 2k section around St.Egyden (bout 60k and 150k point) on the map that varies from 3%-10%. Plenty of other ramps by the looks of things, but nothing worse than that.
    How many nights are people staying ? I am tentatively staying for 5 nights (Thurs-Tue).
    I'm currently only there 3 nights (Fri-Mon). Hoping to stay a few more afterwards but need the oh to confirm her travel plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Went with the first wave. I'm a decent swimmer so shouldn't be too out of my depth. Reckon with a 15min start there shouldn't be too many from wave 2 passing me.

The hills don't seem to be too bad. Toughest bit I see is about a 2k section around St.Egyden (bout 60k and 150k point) on the map that varies from 3%-10%. Plenty of other ramps by the looks of things, but nothing worse than that.

I'm currently only there 3 nights (Fri-Mon). Hoping to stay a few more afterwards but need the oh to confirm her travel plans.

hills are not an issue at all, nothing that you need to change set up for IMO

i did three days, would recommend another one if possible, even two

• Registered Users Posts: 16 csmi

Going to Austria to support hubbie. Any tips on good view spots etc etc?? It's his first ironman.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭delboyfagan

csmi wrote: »
    Going to Austria to support hubbie. Any tips on good view spots etc etc?? It's his first ironman.

CSMI - I would say stay at start finish line - wouldn't bother going out on bike course as not much of an atmosphere around it. I have done it 3 times and there has never been great crowds around even for the 2 'climbs'. That's all they are - climbs. Nothing, absolutely nothing, for anyone to worry about.

Not much to see re swim start unless u can get him to wear a funny colored hat and spot him in the canal. Thais my suggestion. Get a completely one off multi-colored hat and put it on him as he gets in the water. The a least u can walk around a km and see him in the canal.

Re bike - not worth hassle of travelling out to hill. Stay at village (travel into klagenfurt in between) and see him at turnaround (hafway point is in vilaage).

The run course is great for spectating - like a figure of 8 almost and u can spot him numerous times on the run.

Enjoy - usually roasting so bring the suncream.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 csmi

Thanks mil for that.
    Hope training is going well for all of ye:-)

I'm doing IM for the first time in Austria, trying to plan logistics at the moment for my gf. What is the best plan of attack for spectators?

In the build up, is the area athletes only? The briefing, registration, bike racking etc. My plan was to head out on the Saturday morning to get all of the above done, but I'd like to keep herself alongside me if it's an option - keep her involved etc.

For race day then, I think my chances of getting her out of bed for the swim are slim. For the bike is she better off getting the bus up the mountain or just hang around the turn point in town? Is there much of an atmosphere on the hills?

Marathon we'll just let her wander, but post race, again, I assume the recovery area is athletes only? Do I have to recover, have drink, pizza, rack bike, pack gear and then head out to meet herself, or are spectators allowed in to that area?

The recovery tent and transition are a good bit apart. Arrange to meet outside recovery and she can walk with you to collect your bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Shedite27 wrote: »
    In the build up, is the area athletes only? The briefing, registration, bike racking etc. My plan was to head out on the Saturday morning to get all of the above done, but I'd like to keep herself alongside me if it's an option - keep her involved etc.

For race day then, I think my chances of getting her out of bed for the swim are slim. For the bike is she better off getting the bus up the mountain or just hang around the turn point in town? Is there much of an atmosphere on the hills?

Marathon we'll just let her wander, but post race, again, I assume the recovery area is athletes only? Do I have to recover, have drink, pizza, rack bike, pack gear and then head out to meet herself, or are spectators allowed in to that area?

as far as i can remember the only area she cant go to is the transition area.
    I dont remember them checking anything to get in to the briefing
    I would say bring her along, i dont think you'll have to abandon her too much. when you are in transition she can head down towards the cafes and restaurants down the road (walking away from lake - you'll figure it when you get there)

encurage her to get to the swim start. The buzz and hype is unreal. i know it early and a long day, but i'm not sure i have ever felt such a buzz around an event and the swim start looks amazing. granted i was racing so my adrenaline was popping out of my eye balls, but its still an amazing spectacle.
    Its also an absolutely stunning area by the lake, so she can hang there.

after that, its probably best if she heads to the runway between water exit and transition - again , all will become clear.

Its great banter out on the bike course and there are some lunatics out supporting but she would be fairly isolated out there and if she is on her own it might be a bit cr44p, but i have no idea how easy it is to get in and out from the hills. if she doesnt manage that, yeah the turn around point is best

The run, she can just wander around the run course for the few hours or head up to one of the cafes/bars up in the village that is right on the course.

its very spectator friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

How is the training going for everyone?
    Are bodies starting to feel tired yet?

Anyone Dublin (or great Dublin area) based?

When are you guys flying to Austria? What routes are ye taking?

I'm flying into Vienna on Thursday and driving down. Leaving Klagenfurt on the day after IM to head back to Vienna for a few nights. Think herself may need to drive back up :o

• Advertisement

How is the training going for everyone?
    Are bodies starting to feel tired yet?

Anyone Dublin (or great Dublin area) based?

When are you guys flying to Austria? What routes are ye taking?

I'm flying into Vienna on Thursday and driving down. Leaving Klagenfurt on the day after IM to head back to Vienna for a few nights. Think herself may need to drive back up :o
    Training is grand, knee is in a bit of pain but managing it with a lot of stretching and foam rollers. Other than that, yeah muscles are tiring but I guess that's part of the course.

I'm flying Dublin-Munich and back, train the rest of the way. Don't have a lot of time to take off for it unfortunately (financial year end starts Tuesday 1st July), so leaving Dublin Friday AM, back Monday PM. Would love to have stayed in the area longer. Next time.

How's the training going yourself? Any cycle routes fromDublin you're using to mimic the Austria course? I find the Wicklow mountains needlessly adding big hills, need more practice at long rolling areas than big hills. I'm heading from Dublin out to Naas (via backroads), down around Blessington and back the N81 most weekends (variants to get different distances). One thing I'm really noticing is the difference a road surface makes. Can't wait for the lovely tarmac I've heard of from Klagenfurt

Advertisement