Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car running without thermostat

• 22-06-2013 10:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34

Hi there,

Recently I realized I had no water in radiator on my car and fill it up.I brought the car into garage and the mechanic told me that the problem may be with a thermostat.Basically he removed it and told me there's no need to be replaced with a new one.What kind of problems may I have running the car without the thermostat?
    I know the purpose of having it but what are the possible problems I may experience without having one?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Not much of a mechanic that would say your car doesn't need a thermostat. Why would all manufacturers install them then? Sure, it'll run without it but not properly.

The engine will warm up slower and there is no control to keep it up to the right temp when running which will have implications for emissions and also cause premature engine wear.

I wouldn't mind if it was an expensive part but they're only a few euro. OP I think you should replace the thermostat. Oh and your mechanic too!

Keep a close eye on your coolant too as the thermostat may not be the reason it was lost. What car by the way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

As above, the car likely will never get to operating temp, running cool all the time which increases fuel consumption (though at around 80c its said there is a tiny increase in power over 90c). If it stays at very low temps, engine wear is increased.

EDIT: Googling, its stated not only will it take longer to heat up, but it may actually keep heating up and overheat as there is so little flow restriction the coolant is pumped too fast through the radiator and not cooled enough. There is a balance between volume/litre per second and time to dissipate heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Your mechanic is an ass and is more than likely not qualified and working buck-shee.

Without a thermostat the car will over fuel as the ECU will always operate in closed loop mode as if the engine was cold. You will see a noticeable increase in your fuel use especially in winter and the over furling will eventually kill the cat converter and O2 sensor.

I'd strongly advise you to go to another garage/mechanic and get a thermostat fitted and more importantly never bring your car back to that clown you call a mechanic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 smetol

Matt Simis wrote: »
    As above, the car likely will never get to operating temp, running cool all the time which increases fuel consumption (though at around 80c its said there is a tiny increase in power over 90c). If it stays at very low temps, engine wear is increased.

EDIT: Googling, its stated not only will it take longer to heat up, but it may actually keep heating up and overheat as there is so little flow restriction the coolant is pumped too fast through the radiator and not cooled enough. There is a balance between volume/litre per second and time to dissipate heat.

Thanks for the advice guys.The car is Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.0 and suddenly the water ''disapear''.The mechanic did some ''air power'' test but there's no leakage in the hoses.
    My mistake was I just realized that when I was driving and ''red'' indicator(no cooland) on dashboard gave me an warning.I stopped the car and tow it to the garage.I hope I didn't f..d up the engine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

CJC999 wrote: »
    Your mechanic is an ass and is more than likely not qualified and working buck-shee.

Without a thermostat the car will over fuel as the ECU will always operate in closed loop mode as if the engine was cold. You will see a noticeable increase in your fuel use especially in winter and the over furling will eventually kill the cat converter and O2 sensor.

I'd strongly advise you to go to another garage/mechanic and get a thermostat fitted and more importantly never bring your car back to that clown you call a mechanic.

He may have been a mechanical wizard for all you know. Assuming its a modern car fair enough, as many elements are more dependant on ECU requirements than the first principles of car engine design. There was a time when the car engine had no waterpump or thermostat. They ran fine, and like everything were developed over time. It would have been common practise years ago to remove a 'stuck closed' thermostat, till a replacement was fitted. All that would happen is the engine would run cool. In the days when a mechanical fan cooled the radiator there was less chance of an engine overheating (with no stat) than on a modern electrofan type.
    In some cases the thermostat was never replaced, and a 'gasket' with small holes would be fitted, to slow water flow.
    Never judge someone's ability simply based on your own knowledge. There is ALWAYS someone out there you has more experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

swarlb wrote: »
    He may have been a mechanical wizard for all you know. Assuming its a modern car fair enough, as many elements are more dependant on ECU requirements than the first principles of car engine design. There was a time when the car engine had no waterpump or thermostat. They ran fine, and like everything were developed over time. It would have been common practise years ago to remove a 'stuck closed' thermostat, till a replacement was fitted. All that would happen is the engine would run cool. In the days when a mechanical fan cooled the radiator there was less chance of an engine overheating (with no stat) than on a modern electrofan type.
    In some cases the thermostat was never replaced, and a 'gasket' with small holes would be fitted, to slow water flow.
    Never judge someone's ability simply based on your own knowledge. There is ALWAYS someone out there you has more experience.

True, he may have been a mechanical wizard but it's still brutally bad advice to give to the OP.

IMO the pertinent point in your post is the bit in bold above and within that, the part about "till a replacement was fitted". I don't sense anything in the OP that suggested that this was temporary which makes it bad advice. I am around long enough to have seen quite a bit of this evolution you speak about and unless the OPs car starts with a handle, then the thermostat should be replaced and not omitted from the system. Any advice to the contrary for a part costing so little, suggests poor mechanical advice whatever about ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Avns1s wrote: »
    True, he may have been a mechanical wizard but it's still brutally bad advice to give to the OP.

IMO the pertinent point in your post is the bit in bold above and within that, the part about "till a replacement was fitted". I don't sense anything in the OP that suggested that this was temporary which makes it bad advice. I am around long enough to have seen quite a bit of this evolution you speak about and unless the OPs car starts with a handle, then the thermostat should be replaced and not omitted from the system. Any advice to the contrary for a part costing so little, suggests poor mechanical advice whatever about ability.

Fair enough, and I agree with you, its the naming of people as 'idiots' or 'muppets' which I object to. Bad, or good advice can be commented upon without resource to bad manners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

What kind of idiot tells you don't need a thermo? Thats grand for stock car racing but everyday? The car will never warm up right or hold a steady temperature.... My TD is more tolerant of no thermo and it still ran like crap without one

Thats piss poor advice, seek a better mechanic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

The coolant is going somewhere that needs to be fixed. It may have a leak when hot and evaporating hence not being able to see the leak. Thermostat needed for engine and emmission control. Check rad cap and rad for leak.

Advertisement