Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feeling really exhausted after the gym

• 22-06-2013 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hey everyone

I'm a fairly regular gymgoer, around 4 times a week usually, nothing special though, just enough to keep me in shape and ticking over as they say. On Wednesday night I did a leg session, heavy enough for me, although it didn't last any longer than 45 minutes. Since then I've been completely exhausted, bad doms in my legs which I expected but on top of that just really physically done in, couldn't concentrate at work, I usually do a fun run Saturday mornings, that went out the window. I actually feel hungover this morning although I haven't had a drink since last Saturday night. I was tip top going into the gym on Wednesday.

Anyone else ever experienced anything like this? I know it's nothing serious or long term, but its really annoying.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Maybe you just need a break for a few days?

How has your nutrition been?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

When was your previous leg session?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Undercover Brother

My nutrition's reasonable enough in general. It was actually really good all this week (or better than normal anyway) so it's not that. Until last night when I just couldn't be bothered cooking and got a takeaway. On a side note, anyone noticed the price of takeaways these days? I got a chicken fillet burger and chips from a side street place, over £7! Some of these chippy's have ideas above their station.

Up until Wednesday night I'd been having a really good couple of weeks, eating properly for the most part, gymming running, just 4 pints last Saturday so no hangovers etc. Then Wednesday just completely through me off. I think I'll just relax today again then hopefully back in the gym tomorrow.

Jev/N wrote: »
    When was your previous leg session?

Previous leg session the Friday before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Up until Wednesday night I'd been having a really good couple of weeks, eating properly for the most part, gymming running, just 4 pints last Saturday so no hangovers etc. Then Wednesday just completely through me off. I think I'll just relax today again then hopefully back in the gym tomorrow.

Pints arent going to help in any way, but I dont think thats the cause, unless you were out late and it threw your sleep off.

Id suggest its diet and training leading up to it. When you say gymming running what do you mean? gymming and running? Runing before a leg day may be why it was so tiring.
    Take the extra rest, eat 100% correctly and sleep a lot.
    Go back and repeat leg day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

I started to suffer with doms after I changed my leg programme. This week, I added in lunges with a barbell w/40kg. I feel crippled for 3 days after before I train legs again.

At least you know you bust your ass:pac:

Pints arent going to help in any way, but I dont think thats the cause, unless you were out late and it threw your sleep off.

Id suggest its diet and training leading up to it. When you say gymming running what do you mean? gymming and running? Runing before a leg day may be why it was so tiring.
    Take the extra rest, eat 100% correctly and sleep a lot.
    Go back and repeat leg day

I know its not a big deal, a break will do me good anyway. No it def wasn't the pints. Going into the gym on Wednesday night I felt like Usain Bolt. A couple of hours later I felt like crap and have done since. I was just wondering if anyone had experienced anything similar from one session. I'll get over it. Thanks for all the comments!

I know its not a big deal, a break will do me good anyway. No it def wasn't the pints. Going into the gym on Wednesday night I felt like Usain Bolt. A couple of hours later I felt like crap and have done since. I was just wondering if anyone had experienced anything similar from one session. I'll get over it. Thanks for all the comments!

Normally tho I'd be back in the gym Thursday and Friday nights. I haven't been able to this time. That's why I'm annoyed. Well not just that, I've been completely off form since in general

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

You might just be fighting something off and your system is a bit knackered as a result. It happens from time to time and may be totally unconnected to your exercise regime.

I felt just like that one day last year and actually dragged myself through a run feeling awful, and next day discovered Id a bladder infection.

You might just be fighting something off and your system is a bit knackered as a result. It happens from time to time and may be totally unconnected to your exercise regime.

I felt just like that one day last year and actually dragged myself through a run feeling awful, and next day discovered Id a bladder infection.

I thought it could be something like this. Its possible. It could just be one of those things that will never be explained. It was actually really hot and humid here the last few days (London). Maybe that had something to do with it. I don't really feel sick though, just tired and an aching body. Slightly more short tempered than usual lol. Anyway, it'll pass

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I thought it could be something like this. Its possible. It could just be one of those things that will never be explained. It was actually really hot and humid here the last few days (London). Maybe that had something to do with it. I don't really feel sick though, just tired and an aching body. Slightly more short tempered than usual lol. Anyway, it'll pass

Listen to your body, look after yourself, get some extra rest, drink plenty of fluids, keep your diet clean and if you still feel the same way mid next week go talk to your doc. Chances are whatever it is will have either developed or passed within a week. But sometimes we just get a bit under the weather - its a fact of the human condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Previous leg session the Friday before

Ah ok. If it was more than a week or so, I would have said that might have been the issue. I've always found legs to be the toughest and really feel it when there's been a gap between the last session

It's no harm taking a week+ off now and again. Longer rest periods are important too

Update! I'm feeling a lot better now, more energy, not as sore. Must have just been an anomaly the last couple of days. Prob get back into it tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

If your sleep and diet isn't 100% it will take longer to recover. you said your diet is good but who knows what your definition of good is. Make sure you try to get all the vitamins/minerals your body needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Update! I'm feeling a lot better now, more energy, not as sore. Must have just been an anomaly the last couple of days. Prob get back into it tomorrow.

You worked hard/been working hard relative to your ability & started to burn out. You then took a break & you feel better, no voodoo there! You need to deload/take a break every so often or this will happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dellyshoyle

sounds to me like you have a cold , this combined with a tough workout can make you feel lethargic no doubt!

rest up, stretch well and drink lots of water!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 1014

Can anyone tell me if the traveller living in Dromard a problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Hey everyone

I'm a fairly regular gymgoer, around 4 times a week usually, nothing special though, just enough to keep me in shape and ticking over as they say. On Wednesday night I did a leg session, heavy enough for me, although it didn't last any longer than 45 minutes. Since then I've been completely exhausted, bad doms in my legs which I expected but on top of that just really physically done in, couldn't concentrate at work, I usually do a fun run Saturday mornings, that went out the window. I actually feel hungover this morning although I haven't had a drink since last Saturday night. I was tip top going into the gym on Wednesday.

Anyone else ever experienced anything like this? I know it's nothing serious or long term, but its really annoying.

I hear ya! I did a leg session yesterday and I was so tired after it. I can't sit down today, my ass hurts like hell....

I think you just need to take a break, recharge your batteries!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,308 ✭✭✭COH

1014 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if the traveller living in Dromard a problem?

Has he been sleeping 8 hours a night? How is his diet? Does he even lift!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭imnothim

so many smart reply's ........ cant chooose one ......... its almost too easy ........ aaaaaarrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

Started working out about 4 wks ago and had a very similar experience to what you explained in your post. Felt grand going to the gym but after a tough leg session I almost got sick. When I got home my girlfriend commented on how pale and unwell I looked and I ended up crashing on the bed for a few hours! But I think its because the legs contain some of the largest muscles and when you work them hard you take a lot out of your body and use a lot of O2 which makes you feel faint and sick. I often yawn a lot when doing a leg work out, not cos I'm tired but my body is craving oxygen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Wailin wrote: »
    Started working out about 4 wks ago and had a very similar experience to what you explained in your post. Felt grand going to the gym but after a tough leg session I almost got sick. When I got home my girlfriend commented on how pale and unwell I looked and I ended up crashing on the bed for a few hours! But I think its because the legs contain some of the largest muscles and when you work them hard you take a lot out of your body and use a lot of O2 which makes you feel faint and sick. I often yawn a lot when doing a leg work out, not cos I'm tired but my body is craving oxygen

This sounds more like depleted glycogen levels than anything else.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    This sounds more like depleted glycogen levels than anything else.

Hmm I doubt it. Glycogen really only depletes with endurance activities such as running. Weight training isn't endurance as such. Its depletion of something though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Hmm I doubt it. Glycogen really only depletes with endurance activities such as running. Weight training isn't endurance as such. Its depletion of something though!

This is not correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Why, do your muscles run on another fuel when they see weights?

Why, do your muscles run on another fuel when they see weights?

Always some smartarse like you on every topic on boards isn't there.

He is right though, you don't flick off consuming glycogen when you pick up a weight.

He is right though, you don't flick off consuming glycogen when you pick up a weight.

Yeah maybe he is right, but what's with the smart attitude, and he's a moderator too. Boards is all about giving information or getting advice not putting people down.

Yeah maybe he is right, but what's with the smart attitude, and he's a moderator too. Boards is all about giving information or getting advice not putting people down.

Boards (like 99% of forums) is all about making a smart comment to get thanks and nitpicking other peoples' posts. Haven't you learned that ;)

In general mods are just other people, that can be smartassed, lovely or mean as the feeling takes them. Only when they are posting as a mod should you expect them to be professional - otherwise they are posters like you and me.

• Advertisement

Boards (like 99% of forums) is all about making a smart comment to get thanks and nitpicking other peoples' posts. Haven't you learned that ;)

In general mods are just other people, that can be smartassed, lovely or mean as the feeling takes them. Only when they are posting as a mod should you expect them to be professional - otherwise they are posters like you and me.

Your right of course! Just bugs the hell out of me when someone is right and I'm wrong and they know it lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

That cause there is always someone talking out their arse to sound smart. I dont mod this forum BTW, also your inferal of my tone is your problem.

Advertisement