Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Montpelier Hill, D7 a safe area?

Options
  • 22-06-2013 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi guys,
    I am moving to Dublin from Dundalk (I am Italian) and I will work from 14.30 until 23.00! I am a little bit worried as I am not familiar with the city centre at night. I am moving to Dublin 7, Montpelier Hill and I have heard it is not the best area to live.
    I would get a bus from eBay to the city centre and then the luas from Abbey Str to the stop Museum.
    Can somebody help me? Does anyone knows this spot of the city?
    Thank you very much.

Patrizia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Montpelier hill and the surrounding areas still have a bit of a problem with street prostitution,it wouldn't be as bad as say ten years ago,but its still there,for yourself as a young woman it might be wise to look at other parts of the city to live before committing to that particular area.smithfield is near by,its also on the luas line and you might find it to be a lot safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

It's a bit of a dodgy area, o'devaney gardens is kind of a no go tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I would try Smithfield or Stoneybatter, Mountpelier Hill is a bit scary and I certainly wouldn't like to walk around there at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Wassermann

Thank you guys!
    I got the room already as I did not like the others I reviewed. I just hope the best. The apartment is 5 minutes away from luas stop Museum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Wassermann wrote: »
    Thank you guys!
    I got the room already as I did not like the others I reviewed. I just hope the best. The apartment is 5 minutes away from luas stop Museum.

Did you pay a deposit already? 5 minutes through a dodgy area is an awful long time. I really wouldn't advise living there

• Advertisement

No, not yet. The girl I will share the apt with said she walks back home at night and nothing happened to her so far

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

A friend of mine lived just off Montpelier Hill a few years back and she liked it there. Yes, there are some dodgy places close by but IMO Montpelier hill itself is ok. One big advantage is that it's a very central and accessible location - very close to the LUAS red line, Heuston Station, the Phoenix Park and of course the city centre.

BTW if you're going to be working in eBay in Blanchardstown then you won't really need to change the bus to luas - the 39, 38 and 37 and 70 busses all pass through Stoneybatter and its just a short walk from there to Montpelier Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Personally I wouldn't like to live there and I really wouldn't feel safe walking around at night with or without a companion. O'Devaney gardens is scary and bleak enough during the day let alone at 11pm.

Could you move further in towards the city along the North Circular maybe? Or, as another poster suggested, further towards the river Liffey around Smithfield?

I say this as someone who lived down near the flats between the Mater and Temple St hospital for long enough, and never had a moments worry or trouble.

Great to hear!!!!!
    I don't really know Stoneybatter, would it be safe to walk at night from there?
    Thanks a million

mmm
    The thing is, I did not find any other accomodation near the city centre, a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

If people think Montpelier Hill is dodgy or scary they must have lived very sheltered lives. Grand place to live. Close to town, Phoenix Park on your doorstep. Don't know why people are bringing up O'Devaney Gardens either. You don't have to go near O'Devaney walking from the Museum Luas stop to Montpelier Hill

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Billy Mays wrote: »
    If people think Montpelier Hill is dodgy or scary they must have lived very sheltered lives. Grand place to live. Close to town, Phoenix Park on your doorstep. Don't know why people are bringing up O'Devaney Gardens either. You don't have to go near O'Devaney walking from the Museum Luas stop to Montpelier Hill

the op is a woman,who'll have to walk around there alone at night,prostitution is still an issue there,the residents around there have been campaigning for years to get rid of the kerb crawlers out of the area,as local woman,in somecases schoolgirls in uniform were and still are being accosted,even during daylight hours and propositioned by these scumbags,and anybody that's familiar with the area Will know this well.put it this way i wouldn't be comfortable with my girlfriend/sister/daughter etc walking around there.especially at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

put it this way i wouldn't be comfortable with my girlfriend/sister/daughter etc walking around there.especially at night.

And during the day you've the vermin coming to the CCJ, the place is scrawling with scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

I have a mixed opinion on the area, have known it almost 20 years on a daily basis, a lot lot safer now than in the past. As mentioned before most of the prostitution is now gone from the area and there are quite a few police cars and on foot patrolling the area 24 /7

During the day, arbour hill is busy with prison guards, people walking their dogs, and people who live in the area.

It isn't really that much dangerous or dodgy to other areas compared to a few years back

With regards to walking home, is it safe for a woman to walk home late at night on their own in any area? There are taxis, luas, busses etc

Just be vigilante of your surroundings which should go without saying and you will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

And during the day you've the vermin coming to the CCJ, the place is scrawling with scum.

Bloody solicitors and barristers; definitely wouldn't want to be mixing with them. Or the journalists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

My gf lives in Montpelier hill and it's a lovely spot, just as nice as my own area in Drumcondra. One thing I will say is that Montpelier Place is a very rough part and I wouldn't ever walk through it

Getting the 46A from Phibsorough over their last week and as we were passing through a load of kids started firing rocks at the bus breaking one of the windows

I took a photo of this poor thing on Montpelier Hill two weeks ago, not two minutes walk from the CCJ and across the road from Army Head Quarters.

259779.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I lived there for two years in the early 2000s and never had any problems. There was far more street prostitution there at the time and I was a young woman. You'll be grand.

I took a photo of this poor thing on Montpelier Hill two weeks ago, not two minutes walk from the CCJ and across the road from Army Head Quarters.

259779.jpg

:D

Not Montpelier Hill

Not Montpelier Hill

You're right, Montpelier Gardens.. Beside O'Devaney.

• Advertisement

You're right, Montpelier Gardens.. Beside O'Devaney.

:confused:

So going by your logic Findlater Street and Kinahan Street are dodgy areas cos they're near O'Devaney Gardens?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Wassermann wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I am moving to Dublin from Dundalk (I am Italian) and I will work from 14.30 until 23.00! I am a little bit worried as I am not familiar with the city centre at night. I am moving to Dublin 7, Montpelier Hill and I have heard it is not the best area to live.
    I would get a bus from eBay to the city centre and then the luas from Abbey Str to the stop Museum.
    Can somebody help me? Does anyone knows this spot of the city?
    Thank you very much.

Patrizia

Hi

I live on Montpelier Hill. It's fine there are two homeless hostels in the area so sometimes you have slightly dodgy characters coming in or out of there but they have never caused any hassle or shown any interest in passers by to be honest.

O'Devaney Gardens isn't great but you would have no reason to walk through there and that borders North Circular Road and Stoneybatter as well as being close to Montpelier Hill.

The neighbours are quite a varied bunch but I don't find it dodgy at all to be fair.
    I've lived there for 6 years and never had any hassle.

The street itself is poorly lit so in the dead of winter it can be a bit dark walking along but not particularly scary.

The Gardai patrol regularly.
    There are still occasionally street prostitutes working on the corner but actually they tend to be on Arbor Hill rather than Montpelier Hill and again will have absolutely zero interest in you.

If you're definitely moving there and have any questions feel free to send me a private message.

You might even be moving into my apartment block

Call me Al wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't like to live there and I really wouldn't feel safe walking around at night with or without a companion. O'Devaney gardens is scary and bleak enough during the day let alone at 11pm.

Could you move further in towards the city along the North Circular maybe? Or, as another poster suggested, further towards the river Liffey around Smithfield?

I say this as someone who lived down near the flats between the Mater and Temple St hospital for long enough, and never had a moments worry or trouble.

on a point of information you would have no reason at all to ever go near O'Devaney Gardens if living on Montpelier Hill.

I should know as I live there.

In fact O'Devaney Gardens backs onto Stoneybatter so you're at as much risk there as Montpelier Hill applying your rationale.

Certainly there are some problems in O'Devaney but at the same time I have walked through there in tennis gear and not gotten hassle from any of the locals. So, like most parts of Dublin it's a mixed bag. My neighbours include a middle class gay couple , a green party TD, an elderly gent who washes the footpath outside his house every day, some old school true blue Dubs, some new Irish, some migrant workers and some young professionals.

It's honestly fine and not massively different to Smithfield or Stoneybatter

Only good thing about the kip is its got the Manor Takeaway in Prussia St (expensive but fresh and tasty) and Nemasta Indian take away in Smithfield.. Avoid T.Mays shop unless you like to drink your take out cider in a brown bag.

Only good thing about the kip is its got the Manor Takeaway in Prussia St (expensive but fresh and tasty) and Nemasta Indian take away in Smithfield.. Avoid T.Mays shop unless you like to drink your take out cider in a brown bag.

In all reality how likely is an Italian woman who will be working 14.30 - 23:00 be basing her decision on where to live on a ramshackle off license ?
    Mays has been closed for ages anyway and when it was open was overpriced so best avoided by everyone really.

Nancy Hands and Ryans on Parkgate St are both decent pubs with good food.
    Junos is a nice cafe / bar, The Phoenix Park hotel have a reasonably good restaurant.
    The Aisling hotel do a good reasonably priced carvery lunch, even The Galway Hooker bar in Heuston is pretty ok

Seven Social and Wuff have great food and ambience

Lilliput Stores is a lovely deli. The cafe in the museum is also very good.

The Joinery and Liliput Press have some cool events if you're more arty farty

Dice bar is great, Walshes and Mulligans in Stoneybatter are good too

A new bar called Bigs has opened on Ellis Quay and so far it looks like it's going to be a good live music venue

Superquinn and Tesco are both a short walk away and there is a Spar plus a Londis less than 5 minutes walk away

There are loads of take aways that deliver to the area including the excellent Camile based in Phibsboro.

I'm a fan of Namaste India too

Anywhere central and reasonably populated is going to have its issues but it's not especially kippy in my opinion

This post and the above response from Laneyh demonstrates that you really haven't a clue what you're talking about. To claim that the only good thing about the area are two take aways and then mentioning an off license that has been closed for well over a year is laughable. Have you ever even been in any of the establishments Laneyh mentions above? You're coming across as a massive snob here to be honest with you.

This post and the above response from Laneyh demonstrates that you really haven't a clue what you're talking about. To claim that the only good thing about the area are two take aways and then mentioning an off license that has been closed for well over a year is laughable. Have you ever even been in any of the establishments Laneyh mentions above? You're coming across as a massive snob here to be honest with you.

I'm not even interested in challenging the individual posts, I'm just fed up of the constant negativity on here.
    Most times that someone asks about an area its because they have some idea that it might be a bit rough around the edges.
    (I've not seen too many posts asking what Foxrock is like to live in)

Naturally that is going to trigger mixed response depending on whether people have good or bad experiences there personally.

However, if people are going to just trot out blanket statements that don't offer much insight into the area or practical advice it renders these threads useless.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but keeping it relevant would be good.

The advice I would give anyone thinking of moving anywhere is to go there at night time , walk around and see whether they feel comfortable.
    Call into the Garda station and ask them whether you should have any concerns. Google the place name and see what stories crop up
    After that just go with your gut.

I'm also glad I'm not from O'Devaney Gardens and reading this thread it would appear that they're automatically criminalized simply for where they reside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

It was pretty obvious that Makikomi didn't know what he was talking about when he posted the picture above tbf.

Advertisement