Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Montpelier Hill, D7 a safe area?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

reprazant wrote: »
    It was pretty obvious that Makikomi didn't know what he was talking about when he posted the picture above tbf.

I don't get you?.

Look for a transient person the area is mostly ok, come, go and mind your own business and just get on with things.

Outside of that the area is rough, pretty bloody rough. I spend most of my day, and some evenings in the area, I have done for the last 29yrs..

T.Mays is closed?, few will have shed any tears ~ Billy May might have ;)

OP best of luck, you should be fine.. But my personal opinion is that the area is a dive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Best days of my life where spent living in O'Devaney. I lived there from when I was 4 until I was 21. Had fantastic neighbours and friends. It is sad to see what has become of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Do the prostitutes work all day or certain hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

If you are infact moving to the area, you should check out Little Italy (http://littleitalyltd.com/) in nearby Smithfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

Neeson wrote: »
    Do the prostitutes work all day or certain hours?

From casual observations from living in the area in the past, could be anytime during the day, as already said, not that common a sight as it used to be. See the odd one or maybe 2 walking about during the day and up to around 9pmish

Police have done a great job and moving them over the years now, so its not really a concern these days

• Advertisement

How can you tell them apart from other citizens who are not looking for sexual things? From what they wear or do you observe them walking up and down the same bit of path?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭ooter

my advice would be to walk up parkgate street if it's dark when you get off the luas at the museum and turn right on to infirmary road and then right on to montpelier hill.
    if it's bright you can turn right at the millenium pub up the hill and then left on to montpelier hill but at night that end can be very quiet,much better to go the other way in my opinion.

ooter wrote: »
    if it's bright you can turn right at the millenium pub up the hill and then left on to montpelier hill but at night that end can be very quiet,much better to go the other way in my opinion.

So there would be more women found if you turn left at the millennium pub? What street is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Dord wrote: »
    If you are infact moving to the area, you should check out Little Italy (http://littleitalyltd.com/) in nearby Smithfield.

What a great place! never knew about this store.

Thanks for posting! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Neeson wrote: »
    How can you tell them apart from other citizens who are not looking for sexual things? From what they wear or do you observe them walking up and down the same bit of path?

They don't dress any differently from anyone else. You can distinguish the non-working women because they're the ones walking very quickly through the area with their head down and going out of their way not to make eye contact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Get the 39 bus from ebay to blackhall place its 2 min walk from meuseum luas stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Neeson please stop fishing for information about prostitutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

January wrote: »
    Neeson please stop fishing for information about prostitutes.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11 clueless999

Hi All,

It's been 4 years from the last post here & I would like to check out some updated opinion on Arbour Hill. I am new to Ireland & looking to buy on St Bricins Park - it is opposite some development & near a new block of council house. Have you any idea if it is safe e.g. female walking home alone at 9pm from the Luas, break-in issue, car damage, raising kids, etc.

I am not looking for the perfect or poshest neighborhood, as long as it doesn't affect residents' safety I am fine (i.e. if I will not be mugged or my car window not smashed). Based on what I have read so far the area seems alright. Appreciate your insight here.

Thank you.

It's been 4 years from the last post here & I would like to check out some updated opinion on Arbour Hill. I am new to Ireland & looking to buy on St Bricins Park - it is opposite some development & near a new block of council house. Have you any idea if it is safe e.g. female walking home alone at 9pm from the Luas, break-in issue, car damage, raising kids, etc.

Are you aware that arbour hill houses a prison for sex offenders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Between the Prison, the Army barracks, and the new court theres probably more members of the security services based in that location than any other area in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

I don't think she's looking to move into the prison

• Registered Users Posts: 15,962 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This should be in the up and coming areas of Dublin thread.

OP check the place out night and day. It is so close to the city it sounds wonderful, but maybe for a reason. I dunno. It could be like Foxrock for all I know.

You have to do a bit of legwork yourself, but I think it's ok. The flats in O Devaney Gardens are either being refurbished or flattened I don't know.

The location for getting to the city is ace.

But there could be other issues. It is close to Stoneybatter, the hipster paradise lol.

Someone else might know more. But location wise it is great for sure. And will be on the map in five years as a great place to live, maybe just not right now.

So now is the time to buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Hi All,

I am not looking for the perfect or poshest neighborhood, as long as it doesn't affect residents' safety I am fine (i.e. if I will not be mugged or my car window not smashed). Based on what I have read so far the area seems alright. Appreciate your insight here.

Thank you.

Parked my car along the street outside the estate day and overnight on and off for 9 months and never had an issue with it nor seen other car's targeted. This surprised me at times as you do see odd characters and roaming kids a lot in the area. But never have I or my partner felt unduly unsafe. Only two incidents of notes anecdotally was a guy who stood at the entrance to that estate in the dark a few nights in a row with his bag in a tree for reasons unknown. He eventually stopped appearing. Then of course my partner's experienced with an over eager man up the road vigorously stroking himself in her direction. But more peculiarities than moments of danger. You still get a small bit of prostitution activity but nothing like times gone past. That estate seems a quiet and settled little corner of the city. Depends who moves into that housing block being redone I guess. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I live about a mile from that area and I think that it's generally safe and quiet. It's kind of up and coming and is very close to town and the Phoenix Park.

Donal55 wrote:
    Between the Prison, the Army barracks, and the new court theres probably more members of the security services based in that location than any other area in the country.

I just thought seeing how the op is new to Ireland, they may not know. It would turn some people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I'd say that area is very up and coming. There is a large student accommodation complex planned just to the south of St Bricin's Park which will breathe new life into the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I just thought seeing how the op is new to Ireland, they may not know. It would turn some people off.

Why?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Note for OP: by up and coming, people mean that the area has its fair share of muggers and junkies but theres a game sprinkling of bagel bars, art collectives and artisan food shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Note for OP: by up and coming, people mean that the area has its fair share of muggers and junkies but theres a game sprinkling of bagel bars, art collectives and artisan food shops.

Actually I'm not aware if any of that exists in Montpelier Hill! I just meant that there is redevelopment in the pipework.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 clueless999

Thanks all. Based on the responses i gather there are some elements of anti social behavior, but not criminal. Which I think is fine.

Also, I have heard that O'Devaney Gardens council flats may be moved into the new block in St Bricins. Do you know anything about this? In any case, by accessibility on Goggle map the area is quite some way from O'Devaney Gardens, so do I still need to be wary?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Thanks all. Based on the responses i gather there are some elements of anti social behavior, but not criminal. Which I think is fine.

Also, I have heard that O'Devaney Gardens council flats may be moved into the new block in St Bricins. Do you know anything about this? In any case, by accessibility on Goggle map the area is quite some way from O'Devaney Gardens, so do I still need to be wary?

No need to worry about O'Devaney Gardens, imo.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Alessandra87

Hi, is any of you familiar with the park lodge apartments (at the top of Infirmary Road)? Is it OK to live there?
    Thanks Alessandra

• Advertisement
Advertisement