Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to do with.... celeriac

Options
  • 22-06-2013 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

I have access to large amount of celeriac I can get very cheap. Any idea what could I make/how to preserve this unusual veg? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Rachel Khoo of The Little Paris Kitchen made an apple and celeriac salad which I found really refreshing and works amazing with grilled meat, or picnic.

Celeriac and Apple Salad
    8oz celeriac, grated (fine matchsticks rather than traditional grater give best result)
    1 dessert apple, grated, as above
    5 tbsp sunflower oil
    2 tbsp white wine vinegar
    1 heaped tsp grainy mustard
    a pinch of sugar
    salt & pepper

Put celeriac and apple in a bowl. Mix the rest of the ingredients together and pour the vinaigrette over the apple and celeriac, and toss together. Taste for seasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

It is lovely mashed either on its own or mixed with mashed potato.

I also have roasted it using this recipe
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/roastceleriacwithmar_85617

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Mashed or salad, as mentioned above. Celeriac soup is lovely, too. My mum used to parboil slices of celeriac which were then breaded and shallow fried, yumm! A bit like this: http://hawthornevalleyfarm.org/recipe/breaded-and-fried-celeriac

• Registered Users Posts: 17,589 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

It's great in soup. One of my staple soups is celeriac with onion, celery, leek, carrot, parsnip and fennel seeds. One time I came back from a big shop and realised I forgot to buy it and the soup was just meh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I've made this Jamie Oliver recipes a few times and it's really really tasty:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/smashed-celeriac

Also celeriac makes great rosti - either mixed with just apple or with potato and apple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

its much better puréed rather than mashed. So peel, cut into cubes, boil till tender and then use a boat motor (hand blender) to puree with warm milk, butter, salt and pepper and nutmeg.

it so good with steak, roast beef, duck, or lamb.

Great with scallops too.

Love celeriac! Its so tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Rachel Khoo of The Little Paris Kitchen made an apple and celeriac salad which I found really refreshing and works amazing with grilled meat, or picnic.

Celeriac and Apple Salad
    8oz celeriac, grated (fine matchsticks rather than traditional grater give best result)
    1 dessert apple, grated, as above
    5 tbsp sunflower oil
    2 tbsp white wine vinegar
    1 heaped tsp grainy mustard
    a pinch of sugar
    salt & pepper

Put celeriac and apple in a bowl. Mix the rest of the ingredients together and pour the vinaigrette over the apple and celeriac, and toss together. Taste for seasoning.

That's what's usually called a remoulade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

duploelabs wrote: »

Learn something new everyday :) Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

And there was me calling such things 'slaw'!

Isn't remoulade a sauce, rather like Tartar Sauce?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭celtic-chick

Some people make chips out of it too.

And there was me calling such things 'slaw'!

Isn't remoulade a sauce, rather like Tartar Sauce?
    A slaw could be any vegetables sliced finely and bound usually with an emulsion sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A slaw could be any vegetables sliced finely and bound usually with an emulsion sauce

and a remoulade?

and a remoulade?

Pertains to the main ingredient being celeriac

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Pertains to the main ingredient being celeriac
    Don't think so, dude. Remoulade is, generally, a mayonnaise-based sauce with chopped pickles and suchlike in it. Celeri remoulade is a dish of celeriac in a mustard remoulade sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Don't think so, dude. Remoulade is, generally, a mayonnaise-based sauce with chopped pickles and suchlike in it. Celeri remoulade is a dish of celeriac in a mustard remoulade sauce.

I think its both. Used to refer to the salad and the sauce.

Advertisement