Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weed Identifier

• 22-06-2013 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Couldn't find a proper thread to use so feel free to merge this one.

I'm having a problem with the following 2 weeds. I moved into my current house almost a year ago and noticed them growing out of 2 raised rockery beds where there's couple of plants growing. They were wrapped around a rose bush and some long grass type plant. I took them off and pulled off and pulled up all the leaves and covered the bed with a black plastic sheet.

I did the same about a month ago, but then following the good weather a few weeks ago they just took off! I can see some coming out of the gap in the plastic where the plants are, not to mention the few that are growing out through the gaps in the rock. I can also see the few covered by the plastic actually pushing it up now.

So any advice on getting rid of them, which I'm assuming isn't going to be an easy fix, is much appreciated!

DSC_0241_zpsd7defcb0.jpg

DSC_02402_zpscde1dc7a.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

Can't think of the name of the second one, but the first is bindweed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭gk5000

Think the second one is Ground Elder.

For both, keep digging/pulling it up at source.
    They are both invasive, so at least conrtol it and do not let them spread beyond where they are already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

gk5000 wrote: »
    Think the second one is Ground Elder.

For both, keep digging/pulling it up at source.
    They are both invasive, so at least conrtol it and do not let them spread beyond where they are already.

That's the one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Every tiny bit of bindweed will sprout with enthusiasm. The best treatment is to gather long strands of it together, loosely push it into a plastic bag or bucket and douse with systemic weedkiller. Then leave it for a couple of weeks. The weedkiller will work back and kill the roots. You will probably have to do it a couple of times to get it all, but it will do it in the end. If you lift that black plastic you will probably find a mat of tangled roots and stems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Bastards the pair of them!

• Advertisement
Advertisement