Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaeltacht for improving Irish?

• 22-06-2013 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Is there anyone here who found that the Gaeltacht helped improve his/her Irish? I'm tempting to go but I don't know if i'll get anything out of it. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

I haven't gone to one but any of my friends who have gone and improved went to a strict one! You might not want to pick a really strict one thinking less strict ones may be more fun but if you go to one where you constantly speak irish you will improve :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Is there anyone here who found that the Gaeltacht helped improve his/her Irish? I'm tempting to go but I don't know if i'll get anything out of it. :)

Absolutely, your Irish will improve greatly. Though I think it's important you go to one of the Strictly no English colleges like Spleodar or Coláiste na bhFiann. You won't benefit much otherwise. I went to Coláiste na bhFiann in Rath Cairn and had a brilliant time and also became fluent in the language.
    However it is probably more beneficial to your spoken Irish than your written as it is completely geared towards speaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭rox5

You would want to have a passion for learning Irish and be willing to work hard, even though it is during the holidays. I went to the Gaeltacht and learned f**k all out of it because I just had no passion to learn it at all and I was an immature kid who did not really want to go. I would put more work into these days if I ever had to go back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

I can definitely vouch for a trip to the Gaeltacht (namely Coláiste Ó Direáin on Inis Mór) if you're willing to make the effort to speak Irish. I was a D-C student in second year and went that summer and got a B in the Junior, and went subsequent years and am hoping for an A come August. Definitely go for it, but make the effort or it will be worth nothing. Good luck! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Thanks for all the opinions! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement