Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

free standing range cooker (ILVE)

Options
  • 22-06-2013 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi! i bought an expensive Ilve range gas/electric. it was over €2300. it was a big investment as i cook a lot, i thought this would be the cooker to see me out!! However when the oven has been on for a while the knobs for the gas hob become so hot you cant even hold them long enough to light the burners. Well, you can if you use an oven glove or tea towel. Also sometimes, to add to that problem, the burners take a good few seconds of ignition clicking for them to actually light. just wondering if anyone has one of these ranges.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭anuprising

most of these that I've worked on with this problem of the knobs heating up is due to the cooling fan failing , and on a lot of ranges they have two cooling fans

after cooking and you turn everything off do you hear a fan running or air blowing ?
    you should

• Registered Users Posts: 4 minbuggy

Hi!
    Thanks for response. Yeah 3 engineers have been sent. Cooling thing replaced twice. (Its 5 weeks old!) Second time with extra big motor as per instructions from Italy. I'm so disappointed as it cost so much. My women friends think I'm right to pursue it as they all found the knobs too hot to handle. The engineers and my hub and son are able to touch them for more than a few seconds. The vent is to the front of oven. I thought maybe the knobs are not properly insulated but engineers are adamant that's not prob. I wonder if this is a fault with this particular model. Shop have said they'll replace with a better model which I feel bad about. It seems to me to be a very basic fault...

Don't feel bad about it, one of the first pieces of consumer protection advice is, is the product fit for use.
    If you burn yourself on it during normal use, then it is not.
    If they are unable to repair the cooker, then take up the offer to have it replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭anuprising

is it a smeg range ?

sorry just seen its a ilve

go for the exchange as the distributors of ilve are c&f quadreant . they don't have there own service engineers ,so who ever goes out doesn't have specific product knowledge just general stuff ,and wont be too arsed to remedy a problem .
    its probably just a faulty stat not kicking the fan in , but if the 3 engineers couldn't find that I wouldn't let them at it any further

thanks for replying to that... i will go for the upgrade. they seem to have checked everything with a list of checks direct from the italian manufacturers. But I dont believe the feigned "surprise" in this.... like as if it has never happened with this model before!

• Advertisement

thanks Dolan baker
    i could manage it i suppose, but u have to think twice before handling the knobs. Even my brother's sailing-hardened fingers found it very hot so, yes, im going to go for the replacement. They must know this problem exists . i cant be the only one!

Advertisement