Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

perennial wallflower hardy?

• 22-06-2013 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Bought a wallflower maeve bowles but websites say it isn't fully hardy. If I grow in a planter and bring indoors during frosts would it survive a few years?
    If so, how big a pot should I keep it in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

seefin wrote: »
    Bought a wallflower maeve bowles but websites say it isn't fully hardy. If I grow in a planter and bring indoors during frosts would it survive a few years?
    If so, how big a pot should I keep it in?

The plant gets pretty big, you'd need a decent sized container and moving it in and out will become a chore believe me. Stick it in the ground it will be much happier. It's simple from cuttings and you can take some now, overwinter those so if the mother plant doesn't survive you have plenty more. I read you can protect them over winter with a cloche in prolonged frosts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

padi89 wrote: »
    The plant gets pretty big, you'd need a decent sized container and moving it in and out will become a chore believe me. Stick it in the ground it will be much happier. It's simple from cuttings and you can take some now, overwinter those so if the mother plant doesn't survive you have plenty more. I read you can protect them over winter with a cloche in prolonged frosts.

saved me from buying a pot,thanks! Will buy a fleece instead and take a chance.thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I love these but they only look good for 2 seasons or so

Advertisement