Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is she really too thin?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Loosing 12Kg in 5 weeks and people are worried she's too thin.

Don't worry it's a crash diet , so the usual thing is for all that weight to pile back on again

Also looks happier in the first picture

Also at this stage I filter out any weight loss photos where the it changes from side to front view because it's not comparing like with like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Also looks happier in the first picture

That's because she's out having a good time and posing for a photo someone else is taking. The second photo, she's concentrating on getting a photo set up to show her body.

The only thing I really find dubious about the whole thing is "5 weeks," the links from that facebook page to the magazines website didn't seem to work for me. So think there's an element of a set up about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Not too thin health wise, but too thin to be sexy or attractive. But the latter is subjective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Wow this has made me very angry....I don't know how "legit" it is but I hope it isn't because that is just down right pure bullying, poor girl.

she's just right in the 2nd picture, she should have put a more flattering 2nd picture to contrast, a smile, better lighting, maybe not a bikini ( not that she doesn't look great, I think there wouldn't have been as much abuse from fat middle aged women, this specifically sparked up the jealousy IMO)

This is a very worrying mentality that we have in our country among women....and men too I'm sure! I just haven't noticed it, my ex and her sisters/mothers ate fast food every 2nd day and got fatter and fatter and would complain about their weight but do nothing about it. The overeating was justified by their false sense of security, complementing each other and criticizing "slim" celebrities on the television, in a manner that resembles those Comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

She's not too skinny in the second pic, she looks good. Imo she would look even better if she started squatting and built up her legs a bit but that's just me nitpicking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I would definitely not call her too skinny in the 2nd pic.
    But to my personal taste, she looks a lot better in the first. That's just me, though, if she's happy, good for her. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

From the FB comments, this one is a cracker
    two different girls being used for this,da parting of the hair is da big giveaway,.sm dont be fooled.

Pssssttttt..........2nd pic is a mirror shot Einstein

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

The first one is overweight, the second is what a normal person is supposed to look like (I suppose a bit more muscle tone would be preferable). If you think otherwise your perception has been altered by too much exposure to fat people.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That's because she's out having a good time and posing for a photo someone else is taking. The second photo, she's concentrating on getting a photo set up to show her body.
    TBH if dieting was going to affect someone's personality then nah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

She's overweight in the first picture. No discussion needed about it really. I'm not saying she's morbidly obese, I'm not saying she's massively distorted but she is carrying a bit more fat than she should be. A lot of the population are unfortunately. I don't agree with the notion that women should conform to a particular body-type to feel self-worth but to be honest men and women today are often not active enough and have a poor, carb-heavy diet.

That's just the fact of the matter and the growing weight of our population should be something we can discuss without being accused of trying to force women into an unattainable body-type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Reminds me of when I started lifting weights and drinking protein drinks. I was prolly around 15 and a typical teenage whippet.

My ma was like, oh God you're too big now, you look ridiculous. I think I was still a medium size t shirt, not even remotely big!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Ush1 wrote: »
    Reminds me of when I started lifting weights and drinking protein drinks. I was prolly around 15 and a typical teenage whippet.

My ma was like, oh God you're too big now, you look ridiculous. I think I was still a medium size t shirt, not even remotely big!:pac:

Yep. All mothers seem to get like that unfortunately and unable to differentiate between body fat percentage for that matter. "Oh you're after getting as fat!"

"My body fat is lower than when I started training mam."

"I don't care what it is. You look awful etc etc"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

She looks good, very fit and toned.

She is thin. I think we need to lose the negative connotations of the word, there's nothing wrong with being thin!

:rolleyes: at all the "jellus wimminz" comments though.

She looks good, very fit and toned.

She is thin. I think we need to lose the negative connotations of the word, there's nothing wrong with being thin!

Are there any positive connotations with ANY word describing a female body shape?
    Cause I can't think of any. It's either thin and skinny, which is negative, or curvy and voluptious, which is negative...

Hips to feet borderline emaciated? Jesus, you'd have a heart attack if you saw my 40kg girlfriend.

First time you've mentioned having a girlfriend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

At the risk of being labelled a stalker :o, no it isn't. He has said this a few times before.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Are there any positive connotations with ANY word describing a female body shape?
    Cause I can't think of any. It's either thin and skinny, which is negative, or curvy and voluptious, which is negative...

I consider ''slim', 'svelte' and 'voluptuous' to have positive connotations. I'm sure there are others too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I consider ''slim', 'svelte' and 'voluptuous' to have positive connotations. I'm sure there are others too.

I used voluptuous to describe a woman once and she didnt talk to me for a week. I did mean it as a compliment. But - it has connotations of fat. ( in reality it means curvy)

• Advertisement

Bh the way skinny is not really attractive in guys either. Better than fat but not as good as toned, fit etc.

Cf the Mr Muscle add.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Its funny on the facebook pic, its all girls saying shes too thin. For whatever my opinion is worth, shes definitely not to thin and fair play to her.
    Which brings us back to the face or body thread :D

I would, too, but people on here... well, not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

I call shenanigans. She lost an average of over 5 pounds per week and no loose skin.

Correct. Not the same person. Skin too smooth in second pic.

Bh the way skinny is not really attractive in guys either. Better than fat but not as good as toned, fit etc.

Cf the Mr Muscle add.

It's a matter of taste, as with all things.

I'm neither into skinny guys (I've had bruises before, ouch) nor into toned. I like them sturdy, and with a little belly if possible.
    But as I said, that's personal taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

She's not too thin - and that's coming from a curvy female.

I also thought this article (http://www.independent.ie/woman/miss-usa-contestants-slammed-for-being-too-skinny-29359929.html) was complete rubbish. Most of the models are considerably muscly! I don't think any of them are too thin except Miss Alabama maybe. Look at their thighs! They are all surprisingly muscly and toned.

Such nonsense and it is just people being jealous. Although rapid weight loss and stupid fad diets get on my nerves. It is ridiculous to try and lose that much weight in 5 weeks...the minute you start eating regularly you will pile it back on!! There should be no such thing as 'on a diet', a diet should be what you eat each day. Weightwatchers, unislim, slimming world, all a waste of time! Eat healthy and exercise and try and eat 5 to 6 small meals a day, be grand! :)

• Advertisement

maguic24 wrote: »
    She's not too thin - and that's coming from a curvy female.

I also thought this article (http://www.independent.ie/woman/miss-usa-contestants-slammed-for-being-too-skinny-29359929.html) was complete rubbish. Most of the models are considerably muscly! I don't think any of them are too thin except Miss Alabama maybe. Look at their thighs! They are all surprisingly muscly and toned.

Such nonsense and it is just people being jealous. Although rapid weight loss and stupid fad diets get on my nerves. It is ridiculous to try and lose that much weight in 5 weeks...the minute you start eating regularly you will pile it back on!! There should be no such thing as 'on a diet', a diet should be what you eat each day. Weightwatchers, unislim, slimming world, all a waste of time! Eat healthy and exercise and try and eat 5 to 6 small meals a day, be grand! :)

I'd thank that one twice if I could :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

if she'd lost that much in 5 weeks there would be loose skin left that would take time to tighten up

there isn't so IMHO its a con.

and yes, again IMHO pic 2 is not attractive. she has no femininity in her shape (apart from her bust) like a 12 year old boy with boobs.

not for me thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Looks fine in both pictures.

Fair play to the girl, she wanted to lose weight. She has lost weight, if shes happy with herself now then fair play to her.

It's very unstable on your body to lose so much weight so quick but !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

There is no way she lost that weight in 5 weeks, fb has loads of those diet pill scams. She was probably been following a programme for 6 months with a nutritionist and personal trainer. She has lost of lot of weight and looks amazing.

I still cannot believe people are suggesting she looks healthier in the first pic. Overweight is not healthy regardless of your sexual preferences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I liked her better before, but she doesn't look unwell in the second shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭CroatoanCat

I don't think she looks too thin at all. She is slender and toned and looks impressively healthy.

I also thinks she looks pretty in the first pic and not really "unhealthy" at all. I totally get that she would be too large for some people's personal tastes, but I wouldn't agree she is unhealthy. I'd be surprised if her BMI was more than 27 there, which would put it at the lower end of the overweight category. Overweight, as opposed to obesity, poses no significant health risks, as I understand it. In fact, some research shows that being slightly overweight may actually offer some health benefits. The real danger of being overweight is the danger as one ages, through complacency or perhaps failing to address poor eating or lifestly habits, of creeping into obesity, which is when the real risks, both immediate and long-term, come into play.

TL;Dr: She is a lovely size and shape now. Also attractive, in my subjective view, before and, although perhaps slightly overweight, hardly unhealthy. :)

Itwasntme. wrote: »
    At the risk of being labelled a stalker :o, no it isn't. He has said this a few times before.

That was my point. It was sarcastic.

I don't think she looks too thin at all. She is slender and toned and looks impressively healthy.

I also thinks she looks pretty in the first pic and not really "unhealthy" at all. I totally get that she would be too large for some people's personal tastes, but I wouldn't agree she is unhealthy. I'd be surprised if her BMI was more than 27 there, which would put it at the lower end of the underweight category. Underweight, as opposed to obesity, poses no significant health risks, as I understand it. In fact, some research shows that being slightly overweight may actually offer some health benefits. The real danger of being overweight is the danger as one ages, through complacency or perhaps failing to address poor eating or lifestly habits, of creeping into obesity, which is when the real risks, both immediate and long-term, come into play.

TL;Dr: She is a lovely size and shape now. Also attractive, in my subjective view, before and, although perhaps slightly overweight, hardly unhealthy. :)

Except for mixing up overweight and underweight, great post.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Regardless of the size debate and regardless of how long it took her, I say fair play to anyone who can make that kinda commitment.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I think its a lot to do with the photo. She's standing awkwardly straight on to the mirror - if she stood slightly sideways and did any of the normal poses women do, she's look a better and probably not get so many negative comments. There are millions of girls way more skinny that look way more attractive. I don't think she's 'too skinny' but its hardly a jaw dropping figure - however fair play to her regardless. Fact of the matter is that put the same clothes on her in a nightclub and skinny her will get a lot more attention than her previous non skinny version.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭JenEffy

She's nowhere near "too thin". I wouldn't even call her skinny. People are so obese that normal is now seen as skinny. FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

I don't see anything wrong with "curvy", though if it's come to have negative connotations maybe people say "curvy" when they mean fat, idk. Though I might be a bit too uncritical about these things, like I don't see anything inherently negative about "plump" either. To me "plump" is kind of a pleasant word. I guess it depends on the context or intent behind it.

starling wrote: »
    I don't see anything wrong with "curvy", though if it's come to have negative connotations maybe people say "curvy" when they mean fat, idk.

Curvy is great if used appropriately (ie. coke bottle figure), but it's been kinda misappropriated in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SandraRomain

Fat bi###es be hating.

I can't believe there are this many posts scrutinising that poor woman's body, and the comments on facebook are absolutely sick. What way were some of those people dragged up to think they have a right to talk about another human being like that - nevermind in a place that she will read it.

Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

I can't believe there are this many posts scrutinising that poor woman's body, and the comments on facebook are absolutely sick. What way were some of those people dragged up to think they have a right to talk about another human being like that - nevermind in a place that she will read it.

Jesus.

Her transformation is being used to advertise a fitness page and sell a weight loss product. She's most likely getting paid to endorse the product so like any model, she is going to be the recipient of all kinds of comments.

Itwasntme. wrote: »
    Her transformation is being used to advertise a fitness page and sell a weight loss product. She's most likely getting paid to endorse the product so like any model, she is going to be the target of all kinds of comments.

It doesn't make it ok for people to describe her the way they do on FB, nothing makes that ok - be you a model, an actress, a doctor, a scientist, a race car driver. People who can talk about another woman like that have serious issues.

JenEffy wrote: »
    She's nowhere near "too thin". I wouldn't even call her skinny. People are so obese that normal is now seen as skinny. FFS.

Hard to find legs like that in any renaissance painting.

Actually the opposite is true. Generally people including womenhave gotten fatter but the "ideals" for women have gotten skinnier. I don't think these ideals reflect human desire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It doesn't make it ok for people to describe her the way they do on FB, nothing makes that ok - be you a model, an actress, a doctor, a scientist, a race car driver. People who can talk about another woman like that have serious issues.
    People like that have always existed, it's just that nowadays their ignorance, jealousy, bigotry, whatever you want to call it, is out in the open for everyone to see.

I can't believe there are this many posts scrutinising that poor woman's body

Well, it's the subject of the thread. I think if you go public with something like this, well, you can't really control what happens once it hits the public domain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Found the "she looks under nourished,society needs to cop on" comment quite funny :pac: She looks great and fair play to her. Not all but a lot of women who put down other women who are slim do it from a place of jealousy because they have issues with their own weight and its so obvious and laughable really.

I heard it from a girl in work only a couple of weeks ago who clearly has issues with her own weight and attends weight watchers on and off gossiping with the other girls about her flatmate who was a fair bit overweight and has lost around 2 stone and how she's gone too far and ya can really see it around her neck and blah blah blah... I'm not sayin everyone should be slim and people can look well in all different kinds of shapes and sizes. Just don't like people putting others down because of there own insecurities and issues...especially when its someone who was overweight and they've done something positive like getting fitter and healthier.

I recognise sarcasm.. She's a big part of my life and as an expat who hasn't been in Ireland in quite a while, some of my posts might mention her.

I recognise sarcasm.. She's a big part of my life and as an expat who hasn't been in Ireland in quite a while, some of my posts might mention her.

Most of them do though! I have a BF, and for a while was very isolated. I still hope never to get to the stage of mentioning him in 80% of my posts! To each their own though, I guess!

• Advertisement

Most of them do though! I have a BF, and for a while was very isolated. I still hope never to get to the stage of mentioning him in 80% of my posts! To each their own though, I guess!

If you read this one thread, then yea. Go through my post history and come back with a real statistic.

Why exactly do you think I mention my gf by the way? It's rarely if ever off-topic.

Advertisement