Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is she really too thin?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭JenEffy

Hard to find legs like that in any renaissance painting.

Actually the opposite is true. Generally people including womenhave gotten fatter but the "ideals" for women have gotten skinnier. I don't think these ideals reflect human desire.

During the Renaissance, the ideal was fat because it symbolised wealth. Hollywood's ideal for women have gotten skinnier. This girl is not skinny. She has what should be a normal body for her age, except 'normal' is now a size 16.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

JenEffy wrote: »
    During the Renaissance, the ideal was fat because it symbolised wealth. Hollywood's ideal for women have gotten skinnier. This girl is not skinny. She has what should be a normal body for her age, except 'normal' is now a size 16.

They were showing normal if fed women of the age. Not fatties. With the exception if Reubens.

That girls legs ( in photo 2) are not normal adult female legs. Her upper torso is too skinny for my taste and she has a distinct lack of curves. But that's subjective. The legs are objectively stick thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭JenEffy

They were showing normal if fed women of the age. Not fatties. With the exception if Reubens.

That girls legs ( in photo 2) are not normal adult female legs. Her upper torso is too skinny for my taste and she has a distinct lack of curves. But that's subjective. The legs are objectively stick thin.

The curviness of a woman's body has nothing to do with her weight. The VS model Candice is very skinny and has an extremely curvy body because her waist is so much smaller than her hips. It is not objective to say that that girl's legs are stick thin because they just aren't. I don't understand how you could say her upper torso is too skinny when she has pretty sizable boobs. I think the fact that it's normal to be overweight has warped people's brains. I don't understand how anyone could say that she's stick thin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

She'd defo gerreh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

This post has been deleted.

Yep, I agree.

I regularly saw other girls in my class in their bras and shorts and the girl in the picture had the same body as a few who were athletic students - into football and GAA, train a few times a week. She doesn't have the same body of the girl in my class who indeed, is too thin. Worringly anorexic, unfortunately.

Anyway, what does it matter. Fatness, thinness, healthy, attractive - it's all subjective. Unless you're a healthcare professional working in weight management/psychiatric illness etc...

I didn't read the posts on the FB page. I try to remain blissfully ignorant of ignorant people. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Shes still got a sizable pair of boobs so imho not too skinny! :) Wouldnt get any thinner though tbh!

Maybe its just a bad pic taking etc, but Id prefer to look like the before pic though tbh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Dizzicizzi

I am so sick of women's worth being perpetually wrapped up in a number on a scales, how much fat on what part of the body... Seriously, is she too thin? No. Was she too fat before? No.

Which one makes *her* happy? Which one makes *her* smile? Which one makes *her* feel great? Because that is the one that is best. Not what you think, not what I think, not what society thinks. F*ck what others think!

If people spent as much time worrying about their attitudes to the world, loving themselves and learning to respect others, we would live in a very different world. I am fat, I am happy, you don't like it? Don't look! It should be the same for what ever size people are, as long as they are happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

What are you talking about? Who made you the foremost authority of what a normal adult female should look like? My girlfriend is size 6 in most clothes she wears so according to your normality calculator she must be an abnormal adult female! Its one thing sayin what your preference is but another thing to be going around labelling whats normal and whats not.

• Site Banned Posts: 17 itsonlyus

She is normal weight, its heavier women who are jealous and just try to satisfy their vulnerabilities and think that heavy is the new Marlyn Monroe. I might be been a bit of a dick but its the truth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

itsonlyus wrote: »
    She is normal weight, its heavier women who are jealous and just try to satisfy their vulnerabilities and think that heavy is the new Marlyn Monroe. I might be been a bit of a dick but its the truth
    I think she's too thin from the hips down, and could not afford to be any thinner from the hips up, yet I think slim but curvy look the best. And I don't think overweight looks good. I don't think she looks well in the first pic either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 paddyc310

A she,s spot on good luck to her,,,,,

mewe wrote: »
    What are you talking about? Who made you the foremost authority of what a normal adult female should look like? My girlfriend is size 6 in most clothes she wears so according to your normality calculator she must be an abnormal adult female! Its one thing sayin what your preference is but another thing to be going around labelling whats normal and whats not.

Normal is a mathematical term.

In general people get angry with the unrealistically thin models shown on TV. This is the first thread where people are getting angry about claims about over skinny legs.

This whole thing is probably a fraud anyway. 5 weeks of fat loss based on some kinda diet fruit or pill or something. That's maybe where's the anger should go.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I can only assume that those commenting on the facebook page have never seen an anorexic person in their life, because that girl is far from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

This has been said many, many times already in this thread.

• Site Banned Posts: 17 itsonlyus

This has been said many, many times already in this thread.

sorry :o

awec wrote: »
    I can only assume that those commenting on the facebook page have never seen an anorexic person in their life, because that girl is far from it.

I don't think anybody said anorexic. Except as a straw man to attack.

In any case this is where it all comes from. Its not working out that did it, so so much for getting super athletically toned in 5 weeks. Its eating a pumpkin like fruit.

http://www.womensfitness-ie.com/special-report/

JenEffy wrote: »
    The curviness of a woman's body has nothing to do with her weight. The VS model Candice is very skinny and has an extremely curvy body because her waist is so much smaller than her hips. It is not objective to say that that girl's legs are stick thin because they just aren't. I don't understand how you could say her upper torso is too skinny when she has pretty sizable boobs. I think the fact that it's normal to be overweight has warped people's brains. I don't understand how anyone could say that she's stick thin.

Skinny and boob sizes are not exclusionary. As for curves, yes some women have them while slim, but I am not sure what that says for any argument.

And her legs are not athletic, try a google search for Female Athletes Legs - safe search on of course - and its clear the upper thighs of athletic women are more pronounced.

I see this woman as 25+. If she is 16, then the argument is different.

But its a sham anyways. Probably not the same two people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

sorry :o

Aw gawd, I feel mean now. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

Jesus christ i know loads of girls who eat whatever they want and are skinnier than her. She looks well. She'd be fine with either a few extra or a few less pounds.

I think the fact that she has to make an effort to be a healthy weight makes people argue that she has some sort of obsession with her weight and is therefore unhealthy when she's slim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

kilkenny12 wrote: »
    Jesus christ i know loads of girls who eat whatever they want and are skinnier than her. She looks well. She'd be fine with either a few extra or a few less pounds.

I think the fact that she has to make an effort to be a healthy weight makes people argue that she has some sort of obsession with her weight and is therefore unhealthy when she's slim.

Let's be a bit more realistic here. She has a healthy figure in the second picture.

However, if she lost that much weight and toned up that much in only 5 weeks (which I highly doubt tbh), she's not healthy, she crash dieted and over-exercised. Healthy weight loss and toning tends to be slower and made from sustainable lifestyle changes, not quick fix diets.

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    Let's be a bit more realistic here. She has a healthy figure in the second picture.

However, if she lost that much weight and toned up that much in only 5 weeks (which I highly doubt tbh), she's not healthy, she crash dieted and over-exercised. Healthy weight loss and toning tends to be slower and made from sustainable lifestyle changes, not quick fix diets.

Ye definitely, but none of those commentors really care about how she did it. If she had done it over 5 months in a healthy way, people would still say the same things about her body.:(

Ye definitely, but none of those commentors really care about how she did it. If she had done it over 5 months in a healthy way, people would still say the same things about her body.:(

I dunno. I wouldn't comment too negatively on it, except to say that I don't believe for a second that her body changed that much in 5 short weeks, but if I saw that as a before and after pic within 5 months, I'd comment purely to compliment. Maybe some people (not all of them, because some are just bell-ends) just know full well that the model didn't lose that weight in that time, and are poking fun at it because of that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There's no fun about it though. I've read through a lot of those comments and they are based entirely on her looks. Not questioning how she could have done it.

Which as you've mentioned above, 5 weeks if so, is a bit odd to me as well.

There's no fun about it though. I've read through a lot of those comments and they are based entirely on her looks. Not questioning how she could have done it.

Which as you've mentioned above, 5 weeks if so, is a bit odd to me as well.

It's advertising, though, they're going to give an impossibly short time frame.

My bootcamp group are fantastic, and I've lost a load of weight and inches since joining 7 months ago. They do it in blocks of eight weeks. They asked to put my before/after pics on their Facebook. My before pic is a pic of me when I was 11 and a half stone heavier, 3 years ago. :rolleyes: It's all about advertising and enticing people, so of course they're gonna say she did it in an impossibly short period of time.

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    I dunno. I wouldn't comment too negatively on it, except to say that I don't believe for a second that her body changed that much in 5 short weeks, but if I saw that as a before and after pic within 5 months, I'd comment purely to compliment. Maybe some people (not all of them, because some are just bell-ends) just know full well that the model didn't lose that weight in that time, and are poking fun at it because of that?

Yeah maybe. Even looking at the comments here about her legs looking like sticks and "abnormal for a women's body" is just wrong. And going into detail about how she has no curves! Having more body fat doesn't give you more curves. Toning up makes you curvy, or else it's just natural. Either way, it has nothing to do with body fat so what does it matter!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I get that, but there can be a lot of problems generated by misleading people with quick results. Nothing in those comments queried such a thing or showed any kind of curiousity about what happened, or attempted to debunk the short time frame. It was all just bile.

I get that, but there can be a lot of problems generated by misleading people with quick results. Nothing in those comments queried such a thing or showed any kind of curiousity about what happened, or attempted to debunk the short time frame. It was all just bile.

Well, that's not true. Here's one that popped straight up when I clicked the link -
    How can A fitness page promote such a drastic weight loss in 5 weeks..too much too fast but she does look great

Plenty of bile, but also some sensible comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

No shes not too thin at all. she has a nice toned body, clearly she got her body from exercising not starving herself.

• Advertisement

bb1234567 wrote: »
    No shes not too thin at all. she has a nice toned body, clearly she got her body from exercising not starving herself.

If the advertisement is true that she got it in 5 weeks, she sure as hell didn't get it from exercising and no starvation. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

Yeah maybe. Even looking at the comments here about her legs looking like sticks and "abnormal for a women's body" is just wrong. And going into detail about how she has no curves! Having more body fat doesn't give you more curves. Toning up makes you curvy, or else it's just natural. Either way, it has nothing to do with body fat so what does it matter!!

Exactly your basic body shape isn't going to change that much, now matter how much weight you lose. Which is why you can't "spot-reduce" or change from an ectomorph to an endomorph or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

bb1234567 wrote: »

No she did not get this body in five weeks from exercising she is saying that she got it from some crash diet, 12 kg in five weeks clearly extremely unhealthy .

All good except if it actually is the same girl this was not achieved in five weeks but over a longer period of time so is misleading .

A few on here have called her body fit , toned and athletic . I would not consider her body in these terms at all . There is little or no muscle definition evident in her body and her legs in particular lack muscle mass . She is not too skinny but she is not fit and toned either . In fact i would say if her body fat was measured it would come out as particularly high for her weight /bmi .

Most people who lose large amounts of weight quickly also lose muscle as well as fat and end up what is deemed skinny fat . Low weight but high body fat etc . I am not saying this girl is that but she is not fit ,toned and athletic either .

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

This is toned. Shes just an average girl who isnt fat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

DaveDaRave wrote: »

That's toned to the point that your boobs have disappeared and you've had to replace them with implants, and they have so little fat on their chests that you can see the ripples of the saline sac, as exhibited by the girl on the far right. That's not fit or toned in a good way, that's obsessive madness.

That's not just toned. That's having so little body fat that you don't have periods, never mind natural breasts. That's a line up of implants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭aca101

I've only read the first few pages of this thread so maybe someone else has pointed this out; is it not blindingly obvious that she didn't change from the picture on the left to on the right in just 5 weeks as some of the cretins on FB seem to think.

She might have well have lost kg in 5 weeks (even this seems a bit of a stretch) but there is no way in hell there is 12kg difference between the two photos. That's under 2 stone of a drop, there's a least 3.5 stone upwards of a weight loss between those 2 photos.

aca101 wrote: »
    I've only read the first few pages of this thread so maybe someone else has pointed this out; is it not blindingly obvious that she didn't change from the picture on the left to on the right in just 5 weeks as some of the cretins on FB seem to think.

She might have well have lost kg in 5 weeks (even this seems a bit of a stretch) but there is no way in hell there is 12kg difference between the two photos. That's under 2 stone of a drop, there's a least 3.5 stone upwards of a weight loss between those 2 photos.

Yes. It's a weight-loss ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

They are at the other extreme of the spectrum and are in a fitness bikini competition . In order to achieve this it would take months of training maybe doing a bulk and then a cut with very strict diet and hours daily of training .

Examples of more realistic athletic toned physique would be http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://www.i-want-abs.com/images/female-six-pack.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.i-want-abs.com/Female-Toning.php&h=400&w=220&sz=20&tbnid=Pksk-j-C7zTLBM:&tbnh=91&tbnw=50&zoom=1&usg=__rTSFWR4BlaNMG3XAzR3nOYttq1s=&docid=a5wdXIwgxco-KM&sa=X&ei=Yt3JUfrjDYKwhAeO34GwCA&ved=0CDEQ9QEwAA&dur=5466

Or another real life example would be the likes of Jessica Biel and toned and athletic body

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'm not saying I wouldn't, but number 21's fake tits look ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I am happy if they are happy, but personally I cannot abide definition on the female torso.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I think she's too thin from the hips down,
    The legs are objectively stick thin.
    She's standing with a really awkward narrow-stanced and straight-footed manner that's causing her legs to rotate internally and obscuring her hip adductors from view. Try standing in front of a mirror and alternating between pointing your knees outwards, buckling them inwards and maintaining a neutral stance. The difference n apparent leg size is remarkable.

Her legs are fine. I don't find them especially attractive but they are not "objectively stick thin." (And wouldn't be unless they were actually comparable in diameter to an average-sized stick.)

I am happy if they are happy, but personally I cannot abide definition on the female torso.

It's funny but what's pleasing to the eye isn't always pleasing to the touch. A little bit of "cushioning" on a woman feels way better than trying not to break a scrawny bony yoke in bits.

Nearly all the people on Operation Transformation lost more than 12kg in 5 weeks and they all did it healthily. Granted they did it under medical supervision.
    Originally Posted by alibab viewpost.gif
    No she did not get this body in five weeks from exercising she is saying that she got it from some crash diet, 12 kg in five weeks clearly extremely unhealthy.

That said, I prefer her in the first pic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Strange the way people think they're allowed to comment on a person's appearance in a negative way if they are slim. If someone told me I was too slim for their liking I'd be inclined to tell them to fcuk right off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

No wonder women feel constant pressure to look a certain way with all the ridiculous obsessing people do about their weight. Too thin, too fat, not toned enough, too toned.

Where are the threads nitpicking over pictures of men with their kit off?

Originally Posted by DaveDaRave
    alibab wrote: »
    They are at the other extreme of the spectrum and are in a fitness bikini competition . In order to achieve this it would take months of training maybe doing a bulk and then a cut with very strict diet and hours daily of training .

And judging by the photo, a daily bath in Ronseal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I think that she is a little too thin. However, I am not sure that the photographs are real. 12kg is less than two stone and there is definitely more than two stone difference between the overweight and underweight pictures.

Couple of months in the gym, and she'll be bang on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

jesus no... she is fine...god i am thinner than that that's worrying..i accept all body types...

Advertisement