Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skipping/Jumping/Cutting Queues in Public

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

hardCopy wrote: »
    Try queuing for a ski lift on the continent. Absolute bedlam.

Irish people are very good queuers (sp?) in my experience.

I've never found it to be a problem in France or Austria to be honest. Italians tend to be a bit pushy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

Where have you got to be at 11.30pm that's so important??

Last orders.

I do agree with you though.
    I think actually it's that Irish people are generally too polite to say anything about it and therefore people think they can get away with it.

I've made a point of piping up when I see this kind of crap being done to me or anyone else, except of course if they are total knackers and doing so would cause more trouble.

If that b*tch tried to push past me on the bus OP, I would have stood my ground. Youd on't need any clever retort. Not even looked at her, just used my body strength to block her. If she pushed again I would turn around and push her back. Especially since you explained that you were getting off at the next stop too OP. Nobody has a right to touch off you intentionally or push past you. Next instance like that just turn into an evil pri*ck and stare her down, scream at her, make her sh*t herself, she won't be doing it anytime soon again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭ILikeFriday

I think the worst is when whoever is providing the service that is being queued for entertains it and sort of "ok's" it or even thinks of it in the first place.

I used to work for a guy who lets just say took a very different attitude to his friends/regulars than one-off customers. If an "important" person walked in, he would happily abandon serving someone else to give them priority. I think it looks terrible and makes everybody feel awkward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I think the worst is when whoever is providing the service that is being queued for entertains it and sort of "ok's" it or even thinks of it in the first place.

I used to work for a guy who lets just say took a very different attitude to his friends/regulars than one-off customers. If an "important" person walked in, he would happily abandon serving someone else to give them priority. I think it looks terrible and makes everybody feel awkward.
    Funny you should say that. My Mum has to have a pint of blood taken for medical reasons every few months and today was one of those days. She has it done as a private patient as well. Anyway as she was sitting waiting for the proceedure to be done a different consultant who'd been passing the room recognised another patient who'd arrived after her. The consultant asked him what he was in for and he was instantly skipped ahead of my mother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

The ones for the bus are the worst. Arrive there just as the bus is arriving and proceed to try and skip an entire queue of people. Konbheads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Slightly OT but I've noticed the arrival of the foreign students. Fun and games as they walk six-a-breast and expect you to walk in the road. Head for the small ones and laugh as they bounce off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Last year I was flying back from Spain with Aer Lingus and we had a few problems. Our plane was delayed by 30+ minutes and we had to move to another gate. When it came to queue to board, 4 queues formed resulting in people jumping the queues. People in wheelchairs etc should have been allowed on first but this was not the case. The Spanish boarding staff had to call the police and said nobody would be boarding the plane until one queue was formed. Whilst this was been done people were still trying to jump the queue. What's the rush to get on board you already have your seat assigned.

I also hate when you are trying to get of the dart and people are pushing past you to get on. Once I was getting of the dart and someone tried to push past me. I said out loud excuse me for trying to get of the dart and I proceeded to push them back. I just had enough that day and I had to take a stand.

I can remember years ago somebody in a cab pulled up outside an ATM which I was queuing at and asked me is it ok to go ahead of me as they were in a rush and the taxi was on the meter. I replied it's fine with me as long as the rest in the queue don't mind. He did not bother asking anyone else and went to the back of the queue with a not so happy face. He probably thought I was a soft touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Two Tone from Limehouse

Here's a question. If you go to get car wash and go into to shop to pay, then come out and see somebody has 'baggsed' the car wash by parking up and then going in to get the ticket, thus getting ahead if you do you have a right to complain?? Thus happened to me twice in last two weeks, and second time very nearly ended up violently

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Two Tone from Limehouse

Is it ok to 'bags ' a car wash by parking up and then going in to get ticket? Twice somebody has done this to me in last month and second time I list the head. Who's right? I think it's well taking a liberty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Is it ok to 'bags ' a car wash by parking up and then going in to get ticket? Twice somebody has done this to me in last month and second time I list the head. Who's right? I think it's well taking a liberty

Yes. Of course it's okay. Your other options in my locals are to park at a pump or blare on the horn. Neither is to be advised. If you want to get your car washed and have to pay inside the shop, put your car in the queue, pay, return to the vehicle and proceed.

Do not tell the attendant you'll be inside and go to have coffee for 20 minutes. That really pisses off the person behind you when your car is next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Slightly OT but I've noticed the arrival of the foreign students. Fun and games as they walk six-a-breast and expect you to walk in the road. Head for the small ones and laugh as they bounce off.
    i just walk straight into them at speed. they have no concept of "other people" or common courtesy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Loving the passive aggressive solutions for dealing with queue jumpers.

My solution is simple, speak clearly and loudly enough for those around to hear that I am calling out a queue jumper, never get hysterical or threatening.

Generally I find Irish people to be pretty patient for the most part when it comes to queuing, English people are excellent to the point of being over polite.

Americans can be sneaky if you don't watch them but usually react with good grace when their error is pointed out.

Don't get me started on Belgians, Dutch or Danish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

in general, Spanish people cannot queue, they just dont get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

in general, Spanish people cannot queue, they just dont get it

Que?

Advertisement