Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should I do? Child safety

Options
  • 22-06-2013 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭

So my partner told me his work friend shared a photo on Facebook of his daughter in her "new, big girl carseat" his daughter is 3 and half months old. I was totally shocked and just couldn't believe it.
    I'm not really friends with these people so I can't really go and bring it up with the mum or dad.
    I thought maybe they had just bought it early and maybe weren't using it but my dp said he told that dad he thought she was too young for that seat, his reply was "no it's grand she hates the rearfacing so moved her to the next one
    I guess my biggest concern is the safety of this little baby. I can't stop thinking about it and worry if anything happened I'd feel so guilty for not saying or doing something but I don't know what I should do or to just mind my own business. What should I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I dont know what "dp" means? I assume its your friend?

Your friend has already expressed to the person that the car seat is not appropriate. I am sure he will not be the only one to express it. The RSA have a very clear document stating the correct type of car seat to use for what age child. If your friend wishes to bring that document to the guys attention its here. But I dont see why you would be getting involved at all if you dont know them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Have a look here: http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Road-Safety/Campaigns/Current-road-safety-campaigns/No-Child-Car-Seat---No-Excuse/ especially the 'how it works' and 'downloads' sections.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Road-Safety/Campaigns/Current-road-safety-campaigns/No-Child-Car-Seat---No-Excuse/How-it-works/
    Rearward facing baby seat

Weight range: for babies up to 13 kgs (29 lbs)
    General age range: from birth to 12-15 months
    Seat details: provide protection for baby's head neck and spine

Forward facing child seat

Weight range: for kids 9-18 kgs (20-40 lbs)
    General age range: 9 months - 4 years

"no it's grand she hates the rearfacing" - a three month old knows nothing about direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I had this with my uncle and his girlfriend when their baby was young. They moved him into the forward facing car seat but it was both forward facing and rear facing one if you know what I mean. When I saw it I nearly freaked out at them "what the f*ck is he doing forward facing?!" "oh he hates rear facing, screams but loves forward facing".

I explained how his little neck wasn't strong enough to cope if they were in a crash. "Oh but we won't be" and that was that... they never turned him rear facing again. Poor little mite was lucky, but what else could I do? Is social services too severe? I didn't know who their PHN was or I would have rang her and asked her advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

Sorry dp is my partner. He works with the dad, he's better friends with his brother so he knows them well enough. Don't known the mum too well they are not long together. My partner only mentioned that he didn't think she is big enough for forward facing, he said she is big 18lbs so she had to move her.
    January I thought the same what can i or should I even do but the thought of something happening and i did nothing is awful

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think one of you could coment with the rsa link maybe?
    A 3 1/2 onth old has no preference and 20lb is massive for that age.
    My 2 1/2 year old is rear facing and knows no different so it does not bother her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

So, let me get this straight. It's your boyfriend's, colleague's, girlfriend's baby? Yeah... You bear no responsibility here. Forget about it. They have been told it's dangerous.

I guess I see what you mean pwurple but i just feel like its so insafe and just worry for her.

sari wrote: »
    I guess I see what you mean pwurple but i just feel like its so insafe and just worry for her.

Yup, that's a sign you are probably a decent human being. :)

Thanks for the advice. Just have to be happy with my partner saying something and surely someone else will say something about it too. Ill just pray they are never in an accident

sari wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. Just have to be happy with my partner saying something and surely someone else will say something about it too. Ill just pray they are never in an accident

If they are ever stopped at a garda checkpoint with the child in the car the Guard will point it out to them too (well I would hope so!).

• Advertisement

If they are ever stopped at a garda checkpoint with the child in the car the Guard will point it out to them too (well I would hope so!).

I really doubt the gardai can guess the age of a baby in the back if a car.

pwurple wrote: »
    I really doubt the gardai can guess the age of a baby in the back if a car.

But if the child is far too small for the car seat surely that would be noticable?

I mean, we are talking a 3/4 month old in a car seat designed for a 9 month to 4 year old.

Would that not be obvious? Are 3/4 month olds not tiny compared to 9 month olds? Surely the child will look tiny in a seat designed for an older child?

Oh yes, I would know, or you would know. But on of those fresh faced young gardai plonked on the side of the road? Long shot I'd say unless maybe they have kids of their own.

My younger brother can barely tell a newborn from a one year old.

Tbh I probably wouldnt know!

But a young garda stopped a car in front of me recently and there was a bit of a hoo haa over the child seat so I presumed they had some clue.

I seen the picture of her in it and there is so much space around her head, no neck or head support at all. She looks tiny in it and really slumped forward becaus it's so straight backed. It kinda looks like those 123 carseats.
    She is a big girl weight wise but still looks so small in it.

I think pwurple is right if they had kids of their own maybe they would notice but probably not if young

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

A baby in a 123 would be a disaster. The only thing that might change their mind is that when the baby falls asleep in the seat they will slump completely forward. hopefully that should change they're mind.

Advertisement