Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which foods can you plant in a welly?

• 22-06-2013 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Any suggestions from those of you more garden savvy than I, much appreciated! I'm in a small space and on a shoe string budget so something I can grow in my old wellies and throw in a salad is ideal.. Thank you in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

ls91 wrote: »
    Any suggestions from those of you more garden savvy than I, much appreciated! I'm in a small space and on a shoe string budget so something I can grow in my old wellies and throw in a salad is ideal.. Thank you in advance! :)

Must stuff will grow make sure they have holes in the bottom so they don't get water logged

Runner beans, Lettuce, a tomato plant, a few carrots, most herbs

Don't forget you can grow veg in carrier bags if you want.
    Basically ANYTHING that can hold soil will do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 ls91

Must stuff will grow make sure they have holes in the bottom so they don't get water logged

Runner beans, Lettuce, a tomato plant, a few carrots, most herbs

Don't forget you can grow veg in carrier bags if you want.
    Basically ANYTHING that can hold soil will do

Like plastic bags? Oh cool thanks!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,842 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd suggest anything with a deep taproot; e.g. horseradish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Don't forget the modern supermarket bags disintegrate...

looksee wrote: »
    Don't forget the modern supermarket bags disintegrate...

True, use once and throw away.
    You can even make pots out of newspaper.
    Of course, as paddy has said, you can get good growing bags cheap from the €2 euro shop. Seeds as well, everything you need.
    They even sell pouches everything you need in them for 1.50, sow, grow and pick
    Proper bags you can obviously use again and again

even fruit like strawberrys
    washing up bowls, old shoes, just try google and see!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,718 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Runner beans
    I am a complete noob, but I have just planted runner beans and in the space of a week the plant has doubled in height. I did nothing other than plant them in fresh compost, water them every second day and tie them the plants up to some bamboo canes. The light in my garden isn't even very good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Like plastic bags? Oh cool thanks!!

Your local garden centre/nursery might have old/empty compost bags.

You will get them for free.

These are great for planting seed spuds and other veg.

A few holes at the base and down low on each side to allow for drainage.

Also potato and tomato grow bags wih access panels on sale in Dealz for 1 euro 49 cents.

They are fantastic little grow bags for feck all euros.:)

You can also grow strawberries out of empty and washed out 2 and 3 litre plastic milk containers.

Ask your local chipper/take away shop for their large empty 10-15 litre Mayonnaise buckets/drums.
    They dont have to worry about throwing them out in the bin,and you get free buckets/drums to grow plants/fruit/veg.

A good wash down and some holes in the base and/or sides....and they are perfect for growing various fruit and veg in.

Simples.:)

I am a complete noob, but I have just planted runner beans and in the space of a week the plant has doubled in height. I did nothing other than plant them in fresh compost, water them every second day and tie them the plants up to some bamboo canes. The light in my garden isn't even very good.

Yes that's true of most plants
    just plant and then just add water.
    You learn by mistakes where they like in your garden

Pssst youre not a noob, now you are a gardener

watch out for slugs though!

A strip of copper tape wrapped around the various planters and tubs/containers will keep slugs at bay.

1 euro 49 cents in Dealz.

It works.:)

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    A strip of copper tape wrapped around the various planters and tubs/containers will keep slugs at bay.

1 euro 49 cents in Dealz.

It works.:)

really? Been hit and miss for me

really? Been hit and miss for me

Works a treat for us.:)

Heres a small slug test that Marino Science Tec did for Bloom last year.

Copper tape came out best,in their tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Got some outside wall space?

soda-bottle-wall-garden-1.jpg

More...

Thats a lovely feature just to look at.

Alot of time and effort/work gone into getting that right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭CarlosK

I wouldn't fancy having to paint that wall either....

Looks cool tho

• Registered Users Posts: 3 inegy

also parsnips and carrots benefit from having space for deep roots, good luck

Thanks for all your suggestions, some cool ideas there. :) Think I'll try that starter kit in the euro shop and see how it goes, I'll update if I get any further! Thanks again :):)

Tzetze wrote: »
    Got some outside wall space?

soda-bottle-wall-garden-1.jpg

More...

That is really gorgeous. Goes to show how creative you can get on a small budget. Hmmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

That is really gorgeous. Goes to show how creative you can get on a small budget. Hmmmm.

Sorry, but I'm very cynical about that photo.

Where is that photo from? I'd bet it is a concept or show garden, put up for a few days and taken back down.

How would you water them without wrecking the wall? Or pick them, or even replant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I honestly though the OP was having a laugh. Sounded such a strange idea, when pot are so cheap. Really impressed by tzetse pics. Would love to grow my own herb to jazz up my own cooking. Unfortunately I don't have a garden or a balcony. But if I did....

I honestly though the OP was having a laugh. Sounded such a strange idea, when pot are so cheap. Really impressed by tzetse pics. Would love to grow my own herb to jazz up my own cooking. Unfortunately I don't have a garden or a balcony. But if I did....
    Haha no I've heard of people doing it before and saw it on pinterest too and looked really pretty... Ya you can probably see by now that I know nothing about gardening!

Window and window boxes???:)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Gautama

Mushrooms and various fungi :)

Advertisement