Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banking problems

Options
  • 22-06-2013 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I've posted before, but it's getting ridiculous.

Basically, I saved up a whole ton of money before I moved to Canada. I didn't bring it all over, I brought enough to get by on. Set up online banking with BOI, set up a TD account with online banking, left it at that.

Now TD, my Canadian bank, have said they won't accept online payments from outside the country, so I'll have to wire it. BOI say they can't wire it without me being in Ireland, I'll have to transfer it via internet. They're basically telling me "can't touch this."

Thing is, while I am working, it's an internship. According to my supervisor, I should hear before the end of the month (next Friday) if they want to keep me on long term and I'll probably get paid for the work I've done so far. Actually getting kept on looks really likely, the head loves me and everything I'm doing and keeps talking about what she wants to put me doing long after the internship ends. But I haven't been paid yet, and I have 500+ dollars left in my account. Rent's due next Friday, 600 dollars. Which is more than I have in my account, and that's before a week's food.

I finally got a straight answer from Boi, and I applied to add an international payee last Monday, still waiting on getting the confirmation code. It's going to my parents house, they'll ring as soon as it arrives. It's been nearly a week since I sent for it, I'm getting worried. First guy I spoke to said international payee's didn't exist, the second agreed with him, and they refused to listen to me when I said "I'm looking at international payee option on the online banking right now!"

I should have done this months ago. Story of my life, I get caught in stuff I should have sorted ages ago. It won't happen again. I also added a phone number and email address. Of course they'll send an automated text or email, right? Nope, sending a letter, and that's not even moving until Monday.

I (finally) managed to set up a paypal account this morning, because I'm getting desperate. I'll know the details in 2-3 business days, have to verify my accounts. Couldn't figure out how paypal worked, it was so confusing. I would rather not use paypal, but what can I do? If I can get the online stuff sorted in time, I'm not going to use paypal, but if I run out of time, it's what I've gotta do.

I really don't want to have ask family/friends for money, or use an overdraft, but that's the way it's probably going to go. The Monday after next week is Canada Day, bank's closed, so I need to at least get the money to my landlady before then. I do have a meeting with my boss about paid work either Monday or Tuesday depending on her schedule, but nothing is confirmed. It looks good, but until she says "Welcome aboard" I'm not pinning my hopes on it.

I just didn't realise how long this stuff takes, and Ireland being stuck in the dark ages (you have an email and a phone number, but no, send a letter, that's much quicker!) doesn't help. I can't believe I was so stupid. I should have sorted this out ages ago. I'm usually really good with money, never been in debt or had to use my overdraft before, but in this case it's all going out and nothing going in.

Any advice, or am I stuck?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Have you an Irish credit card? Do you have access to your laser card or is it back in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

TD does accept international online transfers. I do them regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Carlosd

just on earlier,contact transfermate.com in dublin, you transfer to them in dublin, they send to canada same day or next.
    canadian banks are a pain in the arse

Advertisement