Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spots on my Rilfe Barrel

Options
  • 22-06-2013 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Noticed spots on my rifle barrel and its a bit rough not using gun oil as dealer did not have any in stock.Is this why there is spots? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

1shot16 wrote: »
    Noticed spots on my rifle barrel and its a bit rough not using gun oil as dealer did not have any in stock.Is this why there is spots? :(

use Wd40 or any form of oil to protect it on the outside will do for the minute till you get proper gun oil. WD40 is not great at protecting but its better than nothing and will remove moisture.
    Get oil and fine steel wood and if should remove any marks without damaging the blueing.
    If the gun is damp going into the safe it could cause rust spots.

Order some packs of silica gel on ebay and keep them in the safe to help remove and moisture from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Moisture and acidic compounds on your hands causing iron oxide to form.
    Use a light oil, 3n1 or similar to wipe over the barrel after you handle it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

What are the spots? Rust, marks, what?

Throw up some pictures if you have them.

Only use dedicated gun oil. High viscosity, but well spread over the barrel. Nothing that is water based or general purpose. Brunox, Hale, Hoppes, KG, Beretta, Remington, etc. Any dealer will carry oil. Anyone that does not have some sort of oil needs to rethink their definition of the word gun dealer.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Cass wrote: »
    What are the spots? Rust, marks, what?

Throw up some pictures if you have them.

Only use dedicated gun oil. High viscosity, but well spread over the barrel. Nothing that is water based or general purpose. Brunox, Hale, Hoppes, KG, Beretta, Remington, etc. Any dealer will carry oil. Anyone that does not have some sort of oil needs to rethink their definition of the word gun dealer.

Crap pictures but sure least its sumthin!Dealer has 1000 guns but no oil :rolleyes:

It was rainin one day i wiped down the rifle but must of still been moisture...

I cant scratch the spots off my nail so i dont know.Rust?

Pictures are not very clear but it looks like water spots from improper cleaning after getting wet.

You really do need an oil lad. Find someone you know with a gun and borrow oil until you can get some. Use a clean cloth and oil it well. Wipe the barrel vigorously while constantly changing the cloth. IOW don't use the same spot on the cloth. Keep wipiing, and oiling unti,t he spots are gone.

Then wipe down with fresh oil using a new clean cloth. If the rifle gets wet, even if it's just a misty night, make sure to thoroughly clean, dry, and oil. Run the cloth under the barrel (if possible), and use tools to get into the smaller spaces. The last thing you want is moisture resting, untreated, in hard to reach spots.

Leave the barrel, action, receiver, and any metal parts with a thin film of oil on it. By thin i mean a light wipe with an oily cloth.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Will wd40 do till monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

Actually WD 40 is a very good protectant, it would work fine temporarily. Its just not a good gun lubricating oil. If you can get to a good gun oil in a few days, and its not in humid storage, you should be ok.

Of the products available in Europe, I would say Brunox is an excellent protectant especially if you are worried about it in storage over some long period. If your storage situation is ok and you will be checking it periodically, like not leaving it for 6-8 months in humid conditions, other gun oils mentioned should be ok. Cass has given you a good procedure for getting rid of the spots. If you can post better pics, that might help us take a look see.

If it is all you have, and in a jam then yes. I hesitate to recommend it, but in your position and with no other alternative using it is better than leaving it as is based on the possibility of getting some proper oil Monday.

If you cannot get oil Monday, PM me, and i'll post you a can of oil.

Still in disbelief that your dealer has not got any. not even some for his own use.

Have it taken apart now have most spots off but its EVERYWHERE!!!

That's what i was saying above.
    Run the cloth under the barrel (if possible), and use tools to get into the smaller spaces. The last thing you want is moisture resting, untreated, in hard to reach spots.

Anytime my rifle gets damp, even from a misty night, i come home, take it apart (barreled action out of stock, etc) and clean thoroughly with a good oil.

Let it sit for a while, then go at it again. When you think you have done enough, do a little more. Water/moisture will get in everywhere there is even a slight gap. In the chamber, bore, under the barrel, around the receiver, etc.

Keep cleaning lad. Sometimes it looks done, but when it dries out it's not. It's important you get it all done now. If you miss any or don't do it enough the problem will build over time.

• Advertisement

Dont worry guy, the gun will survive this. I learned the hard way on a Colt Single Action Army :0

It looks ok now. Follow Cass' advice and you will be ok.

Cant get all the spots off.Will put more and leave it for awhile!

Feel like going into the deal here u can clean it!!

Im home thursday and my guns have been in storage with 3 months. I gave them a good rub with brunox oil before I left so hopefully all is ok. The hmr is stainless so not too worried about that but the baikal has seen less than 25 shots since I got it and was spotless so hopefully its the same.

The trigger finger is getting itchy.

Id recommend brunox
    http://www.thegunstore.ie/eu/guns/brunox-gun-oil.html

Its a much bigger can than usual oils ive seen and will last a long time.

Cant get all the spots off.Will put more and leave it for awhile!

Leave the wd40 on for a bit and it will take them off. Ive never tried it but people have used fine steel wool and plenty of oil as lubricant and gently rubbed off surface marks with it. (not a brillow pad:D) Id keep trying with a cloth first though.

Leave the gun stripped, and go at it again tonight, and tomorrow (as you said). Wait until Monday to see if you can get better oil before re-assembling the rifle.

DO NOT loose the plot, and go at it with anything other than a cloth. If you're not confident, and use an abrasive cloth/item you may cause more damage than the the water spots.

EWQuinn is right. The gun could be rusted and still function (exaggerating). It's just a pride issue as well as helping maintain a well functioning rifle. Take a deep breath, and stay calm. IT won;t fall apart, and the WD40 will suffice in halting any firther marks until you get something better.

Yep and I think you will get the spots off too, I'm thinking / hoping its not too deep to ruin the finish. If you can manage it, post a better pic.

Cant take off the spots!!!Sh*t

Lad, don't panic.

Please, as said above, don't do anything drastic. Use steady circular motion on the stubborn spots. If they don't come off then soak a cloth with oil, spray the area wit oil, wrap the area with the cloth, and let it sit for a little bit. Let the oil do it's work.

Walk away, have a cup of joe then go back with a straight head. Work the area again.

Fairly Bad :mad: :(

• Advertisement

They look more like pit marks.

Is it rough when you run your finger over them?

They look more like pit marks.

Is it rough when you run your finger over them?

Yeah before the oil really rough! :(

Only guessing here, but seems it may have been there before it got wet. don't think that kind of marking could happen so quickly. When did it get wet?

If it is pitting, and not spots then it could be a re-bluing rather than a cleaning. They do home kits, but i'd recommend getting someone with experience to do it.

Only guessing here, but seems it may have been there before it got wet. don't think that kind of marking could happen so quickly. When did it get wet?

Em dont kill me but last week... have it 3 weeks no gun oil
    If it is pitting, and not spots then it could be a re-bluing rather than a cleaning. They do home kits, but i'd recommend getting someone with experience to do it.

Ah sure leave it :mad:

I'm only going by pictures and best guess lad so i cold be wrong. It might be a simple fix.

Best thing to do is oil her, and leave it for the night. Go at it with a fresh head in the morning.

I'm only going by pictures and best guess lad so i cold be wrong. It might be a simple fix.

Best thing to do is oil her, and leave it for the night. Go at it with a fresh head in the morning.

So it might not be rust or that bad?

All i'm saying is a picture is not the same as seeing the rifle. So my thoughts on the problem could be panicking you for no reason if it's a simple fix.

Ah sure tis second hand anyway one it shoots be grand!Will get oil either monday or thursday.Its smooth none probally coz of the oil!

Agree, looks like there could have been some pitting or slightly irregular finish already, that the surface rust just took advantage of. I don't live in Ireland, and I could be wrong, but also find it hard to believe that the rust could have acted that deep that fast.

What kind of gun is it? It looks to me like it can be remedied if you wish to pursue it. So all is not lost, probably several options here.

This reminds me of one time came in from shooting in 100 F & heavy humidity, instead of just throwing the guns (inside the cases) down for later, I pulled them out. In the air conditioned house in mid summer, they all had a coating of condensate, inside the cases. I got lucky.

• Advertisement

Its a air rifle HW97K by Weihrauch looks to be okay when i put it back into the stock other than one area.Took the scope off it to give it a good clean.Will get to the gun shop soon to get oil and lots of ammo none left!Will also give the barrel a good clean!Getting 1500 pellets so last me awhile.Love shooting but i thnik ill give it a break for a week or two.Not healthy to be always usin it! :)

Will do a bit of shooting me thinks :)

Advertisement