Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stiff and Dripping Tap

Options
  • 22-06-2013 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to fix this tap please - it drips and is stiff.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

The spindle, (brass bit in the tap body) needs replacing.
    Buy a standard 1/2" tap repair kit from a plumbing suppliers (approx 20euro), comes with two spindles and two handles.
    Turn off the hot and cold water supply to the mixer tap.
    Hot is usually in hot press.
    Cold at the stop cock.
    Hold and support the main tap body and using an adjustable spanner turn spindle anti clockwise to remove from tap body.
    Fit new spindle and tighten down with adjustable spanner, fit new handle and colour insert.
    Now do the other side the same way while you are at it.
    Turn on water supply and check that they operate correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Thanks very much for your detailed reply - much appreciated

I this what I need:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ceramic-cartridge-valve-insert-quarter/dp/B008EBSJF0/ref=pd_sim_kh_4

Most likely this is what you need in 1/2"
    armitage-mk5-1-2in-gland-body-t20-6-548-p.jpg
    Which normally come with a new set of handles in the pack like this.
    tradefit-5412-basin-sink-repair-kit-247739-p.jpg
    You can easily find them in any plumbing supplies shop or Woodies, B and Q, Homebase etc in the plumbing section.

So I took it out and this is what it looks like exactly

Yes, that looks like a fairly standard item, much the same as the image I posted.
    The piece you have is in the closed position and the one in the picture is in the fully open position, which is why they look different.

• Advertisement

What a rip-off - €24.19 in Woodies :(

Thanks for your help K-Flyer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭BobLeeSwagger

iba wrote: »
    What a rip-off - €24.19 in Woodies :(

Thanks for your help K-Flyer :)

Are you serious??:eek:

€13.50 in the local hardware beside me and they do the spindle on its own without the handle and its €3.50.
    That price is pure madness! Nearly half the price of a decent mixer tap.

Are you serious??:eek:

€13.50 in the local hardware beside me and they do the spindle on its own without the handle and its €3.50.
    That price is pure madness! Nearly half the price of a decent mixer tap.

Oh no, pity you didnt get to post yesterday.

Whats the name/location of your hardware store so we all know for next time?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭BobLeeSwagger

I'm down the country in Cavan so I doubt it would be of any addition to many on here.

Local family owned hardwares do seem to offer the best value though. Some of the prices in Woodies are fictional.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭rumar

Any one able to help me fix this dripping tap? Had a plumber in last year who fixed it but now dripping again. Step by step guide would be appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭rumar

Any one able to help me fix this dripping tap? Had a plumber in last year who fixed it but now dripping again. Step by step guide would be appreciated

Advertisement