Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEAR 2013 Higher Education Access Route

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

HEAR just isn't for points reduction! Financial side of it, etc. :P

Oh I know, but if you think of it, loads of people get accepted and there's only so many places in a college course allocated for HEAR applicants, it's not possible for all of those applying for that course who got accepted for HEAR to get a HEAR place, if I'm not talking bull :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Oh I know, but if you think of it, loads of people get accepted and there's only so many places in a college course allocated for HEAR applicants, it's not possible for all of those applying for that course who got accepted for HEAR to get a HEAR place, if I'm not talking bull :P

No, it makes sense. :P

I'm not too sure actually, I was always under the impression that you would still get some assistance, whether it be financially or etc.. Hmmm someone should come by and clarify it! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

There is a set amount of reduced points places. However, even if you get enough points for standard entry, although you are not actually taking one of the reduced points places, you can still avail of all the other benefits.
    Simply, if you get a place in college this year, reduced points or normally, you will be still getting other benefits of HEAR. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Suil Eile

Jaafa wrote: »
    Hi guys I'm gona be one of the leaders looking after students for the UCD HEAR orientation this year so if anyone has any questions in regards to that feel free to ask.
    So, what exactly happens during the few days of induction and why is it "mandatory" to go? Would I be denied the HEAR if I do not attend?

Hi guys I'm gona be one of the leaders looking after students for the UCD HEAR orientation this year so if anyone has any questions in regards to that feel free to ask.

what sort of financial aids do you get? How much like? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Suil Eile wrote: »
    So, what exactly happens during the few days of induction and why is it "mandatory" to go? Would I be denied the HEAR if I do not attend?

Well I haven't seen the timetable yet for this year but in past years it went something like this.

You come in on the first day, we have a talk with the whole group of you's including the parents about the week. Then you get taken out by your leaders and put into your 'sub-groups' depending on what your course is. So for example meds and radiographers would be in a group together. All vets in a group together etc etc. And thats the group you're with for the week. You get assigned an apartment then which you share usually with 4 or so other students, not from your course. Gives you a chance to meet people from courses you wouldn't normally get a chance to.

Then in the mornings you're usually taken to a number of lectures someway associated with your chosen course. So for example, biology if you're doing science, or english if you're doing arts, maths lectures, note taking lectures and various other ones. It helps to get you accustomed to the change from secondary school as it is pretty different to what you'd be used.

Then in the afternoon/evening we usually have a number of activities that we do like tours of the campus, sports day, disco/karaoke, movie night, stuff like that.

After all that is done you usually have the rest of the night to yourselves to get to know the people you're staying with.

And yes it is mandatory and I do believe you would be denied HEAR if you do not attend. Let me explain why.

The reasoning I believe is that HEAR was set up to assist students. And we believe that the week is very very beneficial to new students. This is my third year doing it and from the dozens of people I've talked to on it I have yet to met someone who did not enjoy the experience. It really is useful for getting to know your way around campus, meeting new friends, getting to experience living on your own, college lectures etc etc. You go into your first week of actual college and everyone is so surprised that you seem to know so many people already and known where everything is and so on. :D It's also important to note that a lot (if not the majority) of people are coming from outside Dublin and its their first time staying away from home so the above points are doubly important for them.

Now you might be a very shy person and this sort of thing might not appeal to you at all and I understand that. Two things on that. We've had several people come in who were like that and they've come out the other end very much delighted that they did attend. The second thing is that if you really do not wish to take part, theres really no part in the week where we force you to do something. You can just attend the various events and sit out the actual activities if you really want.

But really I would encourage you to just go into it with an open mind and try and take part, I think you'll be really surprised at how much craic it turns out to be. :)

what sort of financial aids do you get? How much like? :)

I honestly can't say because it really does change every year depending on how much funding the HEAR gets. You'll be told during the week though what the expected amount is. It's usually not a negligible figure though. :) You also will get book vouchers during the week. And then throughout your time in college, if you really need it, access to a tutor for a particular subject can be provided. :)

I honestly can't say because it really does change every year depending on how much funding the HEAR gets. You'll be told during the week though what the expected amount is. It's usually not a negligible figure though. :) You also will get book vouchers during the week. And then throughout your time in college, if you really need it, access to a tutor for a particular subject can be provided. :)

Fair enough but could you say what you got? :D
    Is it every year too? :D

Fair enough but could you say what you got? :D
    Is it every year too? :D

I'll PM you, I'd rather not get quoted on these things. And yes it is every year. :)

I'll PM you, I'd rather not get quoted on these things. And yes it is every year. :)

• Advertisement

Well I haven't seen the timetable yet for this year but in past years it went something like this.

You come in on the first day, we have a talk with the whole group of you's including the parents about the week. Then you get taken out by your leaders and put into your 'sub-groups' depending on what your course is. So for example meds and radiographers would be in a group together. All vets in a group together etc etc. And thats the group you're with for the week. You get assigned an apartment then which you share usually with 4 or so other students, not from your course. Gives you a chance to meet people from courses you wouldn't normally get a chance to.

Then in the mornings you're usually taken to a number of lectures someway associated with your chosen course. So for example, biology if you're doing science, or english if you're doing arts, maths lectures, note taking lectures and various other ones. It helps to get you accustomed to the change from secondary school as it is pretty different to what you'd be used.

Then in the afternoon/evening we usually have a number of activities that we do like tours of the campus, sports day, disco/karaoke, movie night, stuff like that.

After all that is done you usually have the rest of the night to yourselves to get to know the people you're staying with.

And yes it is mandatory and I do believe you would be denied HEAR if you do not attend. Let me explain why.

The reasoning I believe is that HEAR was set up to assist students. And we believe that the week is very very beneficial to new students. This is my third year doing it and from the dozens of people I've talked to on it I have yet to met someone who did not enjoy the experience. It really is useful for getting to know your way around campus, meeting new friends, getting to experience living on your own, college lectures etc etc. You go into your first week of actual college and everyone is so surprised that you seem to know so many people already and known where everything is and so on. :D It's also important to note that a lot (if not the majority) of people are coming from outside Dublin and its their first time staying away from home so the above points are doubly important for them.

Now you might be a very shy person and this sort of thing might not appeal to you at all and I understand that. Two things on that. We've had several people come in who were like that and they've come out the other end very much delighted that they did attend. The second thing is that if you really do not wish to take part, theres really no part in the week where we force you to do something. You can just attend the various events and sit out the actual activities if you really want.

But really I would encourage you to just go into it with an open mind and try and take part, I think you'll be really surprised at how much craic it turns out to be. :)
    Well, I was more thinking about not going because I could work those days and earn just a bit more money that would benefit me in college. I've been told I'm elegible for HEAR, but do I only go to this week if I receive a course place via HEAR, or is it a certainty that I will be attending this? Also, is financial aid offered to every person in HEAR? Sorry for all the questions, there's surprisingly little information out there on this.

Suil Eile wrote: »
    Well, I was more thinking about not going because I could work those days and earn just a bit more money that would benefit me in college. I've been told I'm elegible for HEAR, but do I only go to this week if I receive a course place via HEAR, or is it a certainty that I will be attending this? Also, is financial aid offered to every person in HEAR? Sorry for all the questions, there's surprisingly little information out there on this.

Yes everyone gets the financial aid and its probably more than you'd earn working those few days so it would be worth going if only for that.

If I remember correctly, but don't quote me on this, there was a separate one day thing for students who got into HEAR but didn't require the extra points to get their course place. So in that case you wouldn't have to attend.

A booklet will be sent out after the results anyway and that should clarify everything ahead of time so don't worry about. :)

Yes everyone gets the financial aid and its probably more than you'd earn working those few days so it would be worth going if only for that.

If I remember correctly, but don't quote me on this, there was a separate one day thing for students who got into HEAR but didn't require the extra points to get their course place. So in that case you wouldn't have to attend.

A booklet will be sent out after the results anyway and that should clarify everything ahead of time so don't worry about. :)

So if you get accepted to HEAR, and you go to college on a non points reduced place, you still get all the other benefits of HEAR?

So if you get accepted to HEAR, and you go to college on a non points reduced place, you still get all the other benefits of HEAR?

Yes I believe so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 keith012

Hi im eiglibe for hear and was wondering how many points are reduced and is there anyone esle accepted for a hear place for Social Science course in ucc (CK102) ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

any one have any idea what the chances are of getting into DN250 with hear after getting 405 points??

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Ryank9

I know the amount of points varies between different courses but what is the likely hood i have received my course with 335 and i course that was last year 310 and i also was accepted onto hear

Hi i was wondering that im planing on going to ucc studying social science ..... im 30 points differebce from last year points but im hoping I get in on a reduced points basis .... But the offers are out tomorrow (Monday 19th) and the oriantation takes place next Monday 26th ill i receive a booklet by then ? how much fiancial aid is roughly given if you could pm this it be much apperciated

keith012 wrote: »
    Hi im eiglibe for hear and was wondering how many points are reduced and is there anyone esle accepted for a hear place for Social Science course in ucc (CK102) ;-)
    Daniel7740 wrote: »
    any one have any idea what the chances are of getting into DN250 with hear after getting 405 points??
    Ryank9 wrote: »
    I know the amount of points varies between different courses but what is the likely hood i have received my course with 335 and i course that was last year 310 and i also was accepted onto hear
    There is no way of telling unfortunately.
    keith012 wrote: »
    Hi i was wondering that im planing on going to ucc studying social science ..... im 30 points differebce from last year points but im hoping I get in on a reduced points basis .... But the offers are out tomorrow (Monday 19th) and the oriantation takes place next Monday 26th ill i receive a booklet by then ? how much fiancial aid is roughly given if you could pm this it be much apperciated

PM'd

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Pending

I'm a bit confused about the HEAR and DARE schemes - can anyone clarify?

As I understand it from this and other threads, Dare is a set quota of reduced points places, so that if you make the points on merit you get in but don't take a Dare place from someone who doesn't.

Hear seems different, if you qualify then you get a Hear place regardless of whether you meet the minimum points or not?

But that can't be right, because then there couldn't be a set quota of Hear places.

Any ideas how it works?

• Advertisement

Pending wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused about the HEAR and DARE schemes - can anyone clarify?

As I understand it from this and other threads, Dare is a set quota of reduced points places, so that if you make the points on merit you get in but don't take a Dare place from someone who doesn't.

Hear seems different, if you qualify then you get a Hear place regardless of whether you meet the minimum points or not?

But that can't be right, because then there couldn't be a set quota of Hear places.

Any ideas how it works?

I'm not sure for DARE but this is how it is for HEAR:
    There are a certain amount of "reduced point places" set aside. Now if you are eligible for HEAR but get enough points to get in normally, you can still avail of the other numerous benefits of HEAR without taking one of the reduced point places. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Pending

Yeah, that makes sense, thanks. There's quite a few posts where the opposite info is given though, and quite a few worried students concerned that they will miss out because all the Hear places will be taken by those with enough points to get in on merit. (Sorry I don't know how to do quotes/links)

Maybe that's why the actual amount of financial support isn't specified - funding is probably finite yet they don't know how many it has to be shared between

Pending wrote: »
    Yeah, that makes sense, thanks. There's quite a few posts where the opposite info is given though, and quite a few worried students concerned that they will miss out because all the Hear places will be taken by those with enough points to get in on merit. (Sorry I don't know how to do quotes/links)

Maybe that's why the actual amount of financial support isn't specified - funding is probably finite yet they don't know how many it has to be shared between

Yeah, they are wrong. :)

That's more than likely it is right!! :D
    I know I am too far off to even get HEAR but thankfully it is transferable to next year! :D

This may be a silly question to ask, but say I get offered my first choice that isn't a points reduced place and end up deferring it until next year, do I still get to avail of the benefits of HEAR for entry next year too or does the deferral do anything against that?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Doris300

Oh thank you oh lord scheme by raising my points by 15, thank you

Thank you so much Hear got my course reduced by 25points im delighted :) ..... cant wait to start collage now :) UCC here i come

• Registered Users Posts: 3 furrypaws

Sorry for cross posting but am wondering if anyone applied through HEAR for Arts in UCD? How many points did you get ?

Thanks so much

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nc201094

I am eligible for the hear program but how did I find out if I have gotten accepted through the hear scheme?

I was told I was eligible for HEAR and I have received my course place with more than enough points. HEAR was not mentioned on my CAO so will they contact me some other way, or does this mean I will not receive any of the HEAR benefits?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 AoifeAoife

Do I have to go to the orientation if I have enough points without HEAR but still want to avail of other benefits?

Advertisement