Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ZV plates?

Options
  • 22-06-2013 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Could someone tell me if ZV plates are required to be black/silver or is it just the done thing?

ta!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭w124man

Whatever you like .....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

w124man wrote: »
    Whatever you like .....

^^^^ WHS

Silver / white / grey / translucent backlit on black. (<=1986 style)

or

Black on white retro-reflective front and black on red retro-reflective rear. (1969-1986 style)

or

Black on white retro-reflective front and rear. (1987-1990 syle)

or

Black on white retro-reflective front and rear Euro type (1991=> style)

(Probably best avoid the last two as it doesn't fit with the period look IMO. Having said that I have a Euro type on my trailer as it was cheap and fits the holder.)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Sam2005

Hi All,

I am importing a 1983 car and I understand that I can choose between a ZV or 83 D 12345 formatted Reg plate.

A question that I'm wondering about is whether I can decide to get a classic style ZV plate made up and if so is that acceptable for passing the NCT.

I'd imagine it is not an issue on a pre-1980 car because those cars are NCT exempt, However if it's a classic that requires an NCT does the Reg plate need to conform to the EU style number plate??

Thanks in advance for your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Sam2005 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am importing a 1983 car and I understand that I can choose between a ZV or 83 D 12345 formatted Reg plate.

A question that I'm wondering about is whether I can decide to get a classic style ZV plate made up and if so is that acceptable for passing the NCT.

I'd imagine it is not an issue on a pre-1980 car because those cars are NCT exempt, However if it's a classic that requires an NCT does the Reg plate need to conform to the EU style number plate??

Thanks in advance for your advice.

See page 8 here...
    http://www.ncts.ie/NCT%20Manual%20Revise%20May%202012.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

macplaxton wrote: »
    (Probably best avoid the last two as it doesn't fit with the period look IMO. Having said that I have a Euro type on my trailer as it was cheap and fits the holder.)

Genuinely shocked.

• Advertisement

Genuinely shocked.

Er, um, yes D. The shame of it having now been found out 12 months later :o:o:o :D

6654750937_704107978e_z.jpg2012-01-07_09-10-57_534.jpg by macplaxton, on Flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

otther way round. In fact all re-regs should by rights have modern plates....most of us get away with it though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

what does the ZV stands for anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

BD to Z Victor One.....it's taken from the old Z Cars programmes (fact)

Diabhalta wrote: »

Zee Vintage.

• Advertisement

Diabhalta wrote: »

And the serious answer...

It's an unused Dublin series from the old system. If they had gobbled up all the ZS allocation, ZV was next up.

But any kid at the Revenue will probably say Vintage.

As an aside to the above, ZV was never in the original Irish issues, it was only introduced by Statutory Instrument in 1981(I think off the top of my head) as Dublin were fast running out of issues and also the series linked to it, AZV1 to YZV999 preceded it which was also unconventional. The same went for AZS1 to YZS999 and AZG1-AZG999 preceding ZS**** and ZG****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

As an aside to the above, ZV was never in the original Irish issues, it was only introduced by Statutory Instrument in 1981(I think off the top of my head) as Dublin were fast running out of issues and also the series linked to it, AZV1 to YZV999 preceded it which was also unconventional. The same went for AZS1 to YZS999 and AZG1-AZG999 preceding ZS**** and ZG****.

Why they didn't put an extra number per three letter issue, Northern Ireland style, is beyond me. It seemed the obvious thing to do at the time or start a year letter system....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

jca wrote: »
    Why they didn't put an extra number per three letter issue, Northern Ireland style, is beyond me. It seemed the obvious thing to do at the time or start a year letter system....

It was an option open to them I suppose.
    Perhaps they thought such plates would be confused with N.I. plates.

Advertisement