Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In foal mare and twins

Options
  • 22-06-2013 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

My mare got her first scan at 16 ish days after covering and the vet said that the embryo is quite big, and could be a chance that its twins. However he said he wants to see her for a 30 day scan ...

I thought that twins where nipped at the 15 day scan, so I'm quite confused as to why he's making me wait another 15 days, considering at 30 days the embryo is normally implanted firmly. He couldn't tell me then and there if it was twins or not though.

Can anyone shed some light onto this, he just said that the embryo is big, and seemed to throw the word twins around which has me so worried, surely if it was twins he'd have known by the 15 day scan? My head is wrecked over this.

I'm going to get him out a week earlier just in case 30 days is too late, I don't want to make any rash decisions my vet is not being very clear about all of this.

If he says he thinks its twins and will just suggest abortion I will venture for another opinion from another vet. Can anyone recommend me through pm a good vet they've used for mares and foaling.

I'm just so worried and upset over this, and so confused, I assumed that if he wasn't sure he'd have checked sooner than ten days time. I don't want to loose this embryo as its my mares last year but I also don't want to risk my mare for the sake of twins.

To be honest id be happier if I could have gotten a definite response, a big embryo doesn't always mean twins, but the vet kept mentioning it.

Sorry for the essay, Im just all over the place with worry and want to know what others think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hollysf

God thats a pain! Where abouts are you, if I were you i'd get a 2nd opinion asap, but how well do you the current vet, is he/she very exprienced. if not i'd get the 2nd opinion. Can you travel to the Curragh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

He's very experienced, resident vet in one of the more well known stud farms in Kildare and has foaled for them for years.

He came with great reference from a lot of people and I've been super happy with him up until this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 EquineReproC

Hi,

I understand your worry- my own mare was scanned with twins yesterday, at day 12.

I would suggest speaking with your vet and letting him know you're confused. If he did come with good references and is experienced, it's worth asking why he has come to this decision.

A few things that are important- did you know exactly when your mare ovulated? (Day of ovulation = day 0).

Scanning accurately in the early days requires accurate dates as the embryo grows so rapidly. Did your vet measure the embryo and think it was 'big for its dates'? Based on this? Was it the shape that made him think it was possibly twins?

Day 16/17 are the days when the embryo implants. When worried about twins or with a double ovulation at time of insemination/covering, it would be usual to first scan the mare at 14 days. (Or if you're pedantic and a worrier, scan at 12 days!!). At this time, the embryo (or embryos) are still moving around within the uterus. Pinching one twin at this stage is advantageous as the vet can manipulate their position and move then as far apart as possible- this protects the twin you wish to keep from the chemicals that will be released from the pinched twin.

If the twins are already implanted and close together, the chances of losing both due to pinching one increase.

So, it could be that your mares twins have already implanted. Also, if the embryo only looks a little big, it may that there are twins, but that one is already regressing. It is common (although given the choice I'd never take the chance) that mares resorb one twin naturally. Mares know as well as you that it's not a good idea!!

In summary- I think you should contact your vet again, and explain your concerns. Give him the chance to explain his thoughts and plan. If you don't understand, tell him, part of his job is to inform you so that you understand and agree with his approach. If you've done this and are still unhappy with the plan of action, by all means seek a second opinion. At the end of the day, she's your mare and you have to be happy!

Hope this helps! (An essay to add to your own essay!!)

Was talking to my vet today just to ease some concerns. He says it is twins, however the embryo just looks 'big' as opposed to an obvious split so he reckons there's a high chance she will absorb one of them and may already be in the process of it.

I was told to take her off feed and limit hay Intake so her body will lack what is needed to sustain twins and will be more likely to naturally get rid of one of them.

I can't remember the term he used let me know if this is right 'Olympic twins'? May not be correct though. It was one egg that got fertilised and split ascopposed to a double ovulation where both eggs got fertilised.

I now need to wait for the 30 day scan to see if she resolved it herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 EquineReproC

Was talking to my vet today just to ease some concerns. He says it is twins, however the embryo just looks 'big' as opposed to an obvious split so he reckons there's a high chance she will absorb one of them and may already be in the process of it.

I was told to take her off feed and limit hay Intake so her body will lack what is needed to sustain twins and will be more likely to naturally get rid of one of them.

I can't remember the term he used let me know if this is right 'Olympic twins'? May not be correct though. It was one egg that got fertilised and split ascopposed to a double ovulation where both eggs got fertilised.

I now need to wait for the 30 day scan to see if she resolved it herself.

Glad it is all clear now- there's nothing worse than wondering and worrying! Let us know how 30day scan goes. Best of luck!

• Advertisement

Update: she got rid of one naturally and is now having a healthy single foal!

Advertisement