Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd fix plumbing

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

Where are the best locations to put heating control stats? Is it a good idea to have one in the upstairs hallway or is it more beneficial in a bedroom? Also what is a good brand copper 3 coil cylinder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Where are the best locations to put heating control stats? Is it a good idea to have one in the upstairs hallway or is it more beneficial in a bedroom? Also what is a good brand copper 3 coil cylinder?

Best location for a room stat is the room that would be of average general heat for the zone it is controlling, such as for ground floor the hallway (kitchen not good as cooking, living room not good as fires, stoves, etc) & for upstairs the master bedroom. Heat can travel to landing via stairs from downstairs.
    Stats should be located at 1.5m high & never above radiators, near windows/doors where sunlight can affect them & never within 300mm from a corner.
    Much better to go with a stainless steel cylinder for heat loss reasons. Joule are excellent cylinders. For copper, Coppercraft are good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭corkplumber

shane0007 wrote: »
    Too difficult to price over a forum. Too many unforeseens that could only be determined on inspection.
    shanes on the ball . if your close to cork i can quote on viewing . no obligation . im sure if your in dublin. shane. or another can doveze same . just pm.

shanes on the ball . if your close to cork i can quote on viewing . no obligation . im sure if your in dublin. shane. or another can doveze same . just pm.

Some of us are also known for invading Cork ;-) lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Best location for a room stat is the room that would be of average general heat for the zone it is controlling, such as for ground floor the hallway (kitchen not good as cooking, living room not good as fires, stoves, etc) & for upstairs the master bedroom. Heat can travel to landing via stairs from downstairs.
    Stats should be located at 1.5m high & never above radiators, near windows/doors where sunlight can affect them & never within 300mm from a corner.
    Much better to go with a stainless steel cylinder for heat loss reasons. Joule are excellent cylinders. For copper, Coppercraft are good.

I'd go with coppercraft for copper too. Can't judge joule on their stainless steel cylinders but I'd never fit another of their copper ones

• Advertisement

copper craft is not the same as they use to be. they dont make the cylinders any more. they import them. i use to go to ballyfermot and buy them to do work in cork. they moved to tallaght and only sell them. be careful. i havnt bought of them over 3 years now.

sorry should have mentioned . i use to bring cylindes there to be insulated . great job they done. cant find a pláče does it now . i use to put a coil in the old cylinders . much better cylinders. they would insulate them for me

did not read post fully. apolgies. but i wouldnt trust there copper pípe either . unless someone can tell me who they are importing from. its defo not the supplier of old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Some of us are also known for invading Cork ;-) lol

Hi, just to say I let the air out of any foreign service van I could find in Passage last week.
    Hope I gave you a little let down Shane!!

scudo2 wrote: »
    Hi, just to say I let the air out of any foreign service van I could find in Passage last week.
    Hope I gave you a little let down Shane!!

I anticipated that you scoundrels would do something like so I swapped my plates with the Cork boyo's working next door. I had a bit a giggle to myself driving off watching a few heads being scratched.....

• Advertisement

did not read post fully. apolgies. but i wouldnt trust there copper pípe either . unless someone can tell me who they are importing from. its defo not the supplier of old.

Kingspan own CopperCraft now.

copper craft is not the same as they use to be. they dont make the cylinders any more. they import them. i use to go to ballyfermot and buy them to do work in cork. they moved to tallaght and only sell them. be careful. i havnt bought of them over 3 years now.

Fair play to you. A lot of effort to do good work that most costomers wouldn't have a clue about or appericate.
    Or did you make a fortune this way and pay off the villa?

Only joking.

ps. I always thought that baths should be sprayed too.
    Anybody agree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

scudo2 wrote: »
    Fair play to you. A lot of effort to do good work that most costomers wouldn't have a clue about or appericate.
    Or did you make a fortune this way and pay off the villa?

Only joking.

ps. I always thought that baths should be sprayed too.
    Anybody agree?

Totally agree. On my own bath I've packed fibreglass around it as an insulator then put on the panel

Dtp79 wrote: »
    Totally agree. On my own bath I've packed fibreglass around it as an insulator then put on the panel

Dito

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Just a useless bit of knowledge. Joule operate from the same premises that Coppercraft used in Ballyfermot. Joule do both Copper and Stainless cyls.
    They still insulate them in House. I was there last year looking at them being insulated.

So I finally got the keys to the new house and got the plumber in for a look. He said I have to go for a pressurised system as no space above 2nd floor for tank fed system. He also advised splitting house into a zone for upstairs one for downstairs and one for just heating water. He also mentioned using a tank with a submersible pumped dropped into it, I'm assuming is for heating system. Is it a good idea having this upstairs in attic space? Would it be noisy when in bed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

So I finally got the keys to the new house and got the plumber in for a look. He said I have to go for a pressurised system as no space above 2nd floor for tank fed system. He also advised splitting house into a zone for upstairs one for downstairs and one for just heating water. He also mentioned using a tank with a submersible pumped dropped into it, I'm assuming is for heating system. Is it a good idea having this upstairs in attic space? Would it be noisy when in bed etc.

definately a good idea to zone.
    the submersible pump hes talking about will be fitted in the tank to supply you hots colds,so yes it will be noisy.
    if you can put a pump in the utility room or somewhere that you wontt hear it.

rightjob! wrote: »
    definately a good idea to zone.
    the submersible pump hes talking about will be fitted in the tank to supply you hots colds,so yes it will be noisy.
    if you can put a pump in the utility room or somewhere that you wontt hear it.

In the meantime I was talking to someone else and they said to supply downstairs with a gravity fed system from tank and supply upstairs with a negative head pump. Dont really understand this tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

If you do go with the pump get a vessel also put in. Otherwise every time someone opens a tap the pump will come on. Drive you mad after a while especially during the night.

sky6 wrote: »
    If you do go with the pump get a vessel also put in. Otherwise every time someone opens a tap the pump will come on. Drive you mad after a while especially during the night.

Would that vessel store water and when it drops below certain point pump refills again?

• Advertisement

sky6 wrote: »

I have a boiler house attached onto house so I could put pump out there I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

In the meantime I was talking to someone else and they said to supply downstairs with a gravity fed system from tank and supply upstairs with a negative head pump. Dont really understand this tbh.

he was prob saying do a gravity fed system and then bring the hots and colds into a pump and boost from there..if your going for pressurized system put the pump in the boilerhouse.good pressure and you wont hear it running too.
    no harm to put the toilets off a gravity feed so the pump isnt kicking on and off for them

Plumbing coming along well. Manifolds connected, cylinder installed and radiators connected. Boiler arriving tomorrow. I went for the Grant Vortex in the end. I am currently wiring the heating control system.

I am surprised at the cost of materials. I originally had a budget of €2500 allocated however we are now close to €4000 excluding bathroom ware and stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

Be careful with the stove if your zoning the heating, could be dangerous. You have to make sure the stove can disperse the heat with all motorized valves closed!!!

Froststop wrote: »
    Be careful with the stove if your zoning the heating, could be dangerous. You have to make sure the stove can disperse the heat with all motorized valves closed!!!

Not installing a stove with a back boiler so don't need to worry about that. Thanks anyway.

Not installing a stove with a back boiler so don't need to worry about that. Thanks anyway.

Same rules apply with a back boiler!

Froststop wrote: »
    Same rules apply with a back boiler!

I am not connecting the stove to the heating system.

I am not connecting the stove to the heating system.

Sorry got threads mixed up.

Advertisement