Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Offseason Thread 2013-2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

So Houston have Howard and Asik and are now after acquiring Marcus Camby. Does this mean Asik is on the move or will all 3 be on the roster?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

killwill wrote: »
    So Houston have Howard and Asik and are now after acquiring Marcus Camby. Does this mean Asik is on the move or will all 3 be on the roster?

Asik has said that he doesn't want to be a backup player, so he'll likely be traded.

At $5.25m this season and $14.89m :eek: next year, however, finding a home for him might take some creative trading.

The Pistons and Bucks are nearing an agreement that would send Brandon Jennings to Detroit in a sign-and-trade, according to multiple reports.

In the deal, Jennings, a restricted free agent, would be receiving a three-year, $24 million contract with the Pistons.

Monroe and Drummond are going to be overworked with Jennings and Smith (if he's playing SF) chucking bricks all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

killwill wrote: »

Houston have stated they don't want to trade him, but they can hardly say they do as it lowers his market value. I'd keep him for a variety of reasons.

I think keeping him would be a better option than Camby though, given how teams would have to line up against him and his relative youth vs Camby. Dwight can't play 48mins every game. Asik would be a quality sub in that scenario. And what happens if someone gets injured? Money aside, I think they should try and find a way to get him regular minutes and keep him happy, as in the post season a guy who can rebound like he does has to be a bonus. He also spaces the floor and any team that relies on the 3 like Houston does will create a lot of rebounding opportunities. Plus he's still learning the pro game and I think he still has upside. And that old adage - you can't teach height and size! Houston could put a huge front line on the court with him in the roster.

Apologies as that's all over the place, typing on iPhone!

Monroe and Drummond are going to be overworked with Jennings and Smith (if he's playing SF) chucking bricks all over the place.

They'll need to re-inforce the glassin Detroit next year.......

Could be painful to watch Detroit next year if this backfires - and it has serious potential to do that. I like Jennings, think he's been badly handled in the NBA, but I wouldn't put him and Josh Smith on the same team. Two lefties with games like they have on the same side of the floor? Crazy in theory. Will take a strong coach to handle those two. Imagine playing with them (on current form and reputation)? You'd stop crossing half court after a while......Team chemistry could be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Butters hit the nail on the head. I think Monroe is left handed too. If only they kept Prince as well!

I don't rate Jennings, the guy lacks IQ on the court whenever I've watched the Bucks, as little as that has been admittedly. Hogs the ball and throws up bricks who plays little to no D. I know people will reference the cast at the Bucks he had, but sure, we'll see what happens in Detroit.

Drummond's offensive rebound numbers will go up at least though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

As reported by Yahoo!'s own Adrian Wojnarowski, Jennings has agreed to a contract with the Detroit Pistons for $24 million over three years and engineered a sign-and-trade deal that will send guard Brandon Knight, forward Khris Middleton, and center Slava Krastov to the Bucks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Rookie point guard Peyton Siva has been the odd man out since the Detroit Pistons had 15 players signed to contracts for the upcoming season. Well, two roster spots will open up on Wednesday when a trade with the Milwaukee Bucks is officially approved by the NBA league office.

Pelicans jerseys are out, I like em, more than a hint of Notre Dame gear off it:

p16697979dt.jpg

p16698373dt.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Jesus those are actually lovely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Nice enough, the road colour is nice I think. The font is very New Orleans. I prefer rounded necks to v-necks myself.

Reminded of that lovely Thunder alternate jersey from last season, much nicer than their standard one imo.

hi-res-6731646_display_image.jpg?1354845435

The jerseys are a bit plain. 5/10 to the the design team for creativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭BQQ

Oden set to join Miami.
    Will make 1 million this year and have a player option for 2014/2015.

Not sure it will help us much, but worth the gamble for 1 million.
    Will take him a long time to get up to speed. I don't expect him to make much of a contribution untill the playoffs (if he makes it that far without getting injured again)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

It'll be a slow start anyway, he said that one of his main reasons for joining the Heat was that they didn't want to use him in a major role right away

Oden is an everything to gain and nothing to lose situation for Miami. Any contribution he has is a bonus. It's low risk with small possibility of him rediscovering the kind of for that made him a No.1 overall Draft pick.

Remember what a fit Oden can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭akthung

Old man kept getting injured. How much did Miami pay for him, anyway?

If he does nothing but bring his huge frame into the paint, he's a big addition for Miami on both ends of the floor as he will concentrate the mind of the opposing team, but I think he'll find form over the season and be a big contributor for them if he can stay healthy. You can't teach size, and Oden has this and some rebounding and finishing skills too (he wasn't the No. 1 pick for nothing). On a team like Miami though with LeBron's passing game he could pick up a lot of easy buckets just having around the rim. I hope it goes well for him personally - even though I dislike Miami.

Watching the above video though you have to feel sorry for Portland. Losing Oden and Roy to injury whilst both in the early days of promising careers is such a body blow.

Says something about the current CBA. The Heat amnestied Mike Miller, which was a total money-saving move (i.e. no added flexibility), and are taking a flier on a guy who's hardly been able to play in the 4 or 5 years since he was drafted.

How much is he worth? I think you're worth more or less what you get paid (unless maybe Prokhorov is involved), and he's getting paid the vet minimum.

If he does nothing but bring his huge frame into the paint, he's a big addition for Miami on both ends of the floor as he will concentrate the mind of the opposing team, but I think he'll find form over the season and be a big contributor for them if he can stay healthy. You can't teach size, and Oden has this and some rebounding and finishing skills too (he wasn't the No. 1 pick for nothing). On a team like Miami though with LeBron's passing game he could pick up a lot of easy buckets just having around the rim. I hope it goes well for him personally - even though I dislike Miami.

Watching the above video though you have to feel sorry for Portland. Losing Oden and Roy to injury whilst both in the early days of promising careers is such a body blow.

I'm with you, I dislike Miami. I'm a Pacers fan. But I wish Oden the best of luck I hope this is the start of a new beginning for him, He's had rotten luck with injuries, still quite a young man at 25, he can still have a great NBA career

Portland's bad luck with big men didn't start with Oden. It goes back to the infamous 1984 draft when they selected Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan.

If you have a hour to spare today. I recommend you watch this documentary that explains everything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Damn, I was hoping he wouldn't go to Miami. As I said in here when he was being discussed a few weeks ago, if they can get him on the floor, he's exactly what they need to combat their greatest weakness.

I'm with you, I dislike Miami. I'm a Pacers fan. But I wish Oden the best of luck I hope this is the start of a new beginning for him, He's had rotten luck with injuries, still quite a young man at 25, he can still have a great NBA career

Portland's bad luck with big men didn't start with Oden. It goes back to the infamous 1984 draft when they selected Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan.

If you have a hour to spare today. I recommend you watch this documentary that explains everything

Ah yeah, know all about Bowie. Didn't mention him as didn't think the young guns on here would know of him! :)

Ah yeah, know all about Bowie. Didn't mention him as didn't think the young guns on here would know of him! :)

84 is a bit before my time as well. but since I really stated following the NBA in a serious way about 10 years ago I've looked back into the history of the game. Particularly focusing on the period between the mid 80's to the present day.

84 is a bit before my time as well. but since I really stated following the NBA in a serious way about 10 years ago I've looked back into the history of the game. Particularly focusing on the period between the mid 80's to the present day.

:confused:

Didn't you say last season you've been following the NBA for a year or two? I'm sure I saw someone here else mention this when addressing you too.
    BQQ wrote: »
    Oden set to join Miami.
    Will make 1 million this year and have a player option for 2014/2015.

Not sure it will help us much, but worth the gamble for 1 million.
    Will take him a long time to get up to speed. I don't expect him to make much of a contribution untill the playoffs (if he makes it that far without getting injured again)

That's the stop and start of this Oden discussion. Somewhat amusing some Miami fans are making him out to be a superstar already elsewhere though.

82 games plus practice is loads to get in shape and regain your touch - this is not some bum who never played before. Miami will play in a lot of blowouts so he'll be able to get his touch and confidence up in garbage time and easier match ups, as well as during the game itself. I'd be more concerned about fitness and flexibility than "game brain". Biggest challenge he'll face will be staying healthy. Hope it works out for him, really do.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    :confused:

Didn't you say last season you've been following the NBA for a year or two? I'm sure I saw someone here else mention this when addressing you too.

I don't recall ever saying that. Maybe 3 years since I've supported the Pacers. Have to admit I'm a relative new convert to Pacer nation

Word from stateside is Carmelo unlikely to resign with the Knicks after this season,with LA Lakers his likely destination.

LeBron and Melo in Purple and yellow?

Word from stateside is Carmelo unlikely to resign with the Knicks after this season,with LA Lakers his likely destination.

LeBron and Melo in Purple and yellow?
    I doubt both will go to the Lakers. I think Lebron could possibility end up at the Knicks

I doubt both will go to the Lakers. I think Lebron could possibility end up at the Knicks

No chance. LeBron to LAL or back to Cleveland.

• Advertisement

Knicks open up with a game against the Bucks, I'll hopefully have tickets for that.
    Small matter of The Return happening in Miami on opening night as well with the Bulls travelling to South Beach.

Heat vs Lakers and Clippers vs Warriors are on Christmas day. Kobe to return I bet for that :D

Advertisement