Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Offseason Thread 2013-2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Found this by accident the other day. For those of you too young to remember the time when a slightly overweight white guy with a 2inch vertical jump was the best player in the league, check out this videos of Larry Bird's passing skills.

Some of those passes are insane, esp. the ones where he's diving on loose balls and throwing passes in one movement (2:20ish, 2:57ish, 4:30ish, 4:55ish marks), some of the bounce passes in traffic are cool and some of the shot and pass fakes make the defenders just look dumb.

And if you think that's good and aren't that familiar with Bird, check his shooting and game winning shots videos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭padraig_f

I'm not even a Thunder fan and this makes me kinda sad.

Found this by accident the other day. For those of you too young to remember the time when a slightly overweight white guy with a 2inch vertical jump was the best player in the league, check out this videos of Larry Bird's passing skills.

A bit before my time alright, but when I watch Bird's famous steal against the Pistons, what I find nearly more impressive is his presence of mind to make the pass after, and DJ making the cut, expecting Bird to make the pass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Unapologetic

Celtics are going to be bad this year, hopefully really bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Pek has got a 60 million 5 year deal. What position will this put them in regarding Rubio. His rookie deal expires at the end of the 14/15 season

• Advertisement

stuchyg wrote: »
    Pek has got a 60 million 5 year deal. What position will this put them in regarding Rubio. His rookie deal expires at the end of the 14/15 season

I think they know themselves that Love won't be hanging around so not much really. Scary as it seems, $60m is not a max. They were in a corner here with Pek, given his production this year it's likely someone would have come in for him so they faced losing him and Love in the next couple of years. After AK47 bolted they were screwed.

padraig_f wrote: »
    I'm not even a Thunder fan and this makes me kinda sad.

For all the talk of Presti being a genius last year this one has really backfired on them (OKC). I said it at the time I thought it was a mistake letting a guy of Harden's ability and age go and I think now Harden is likely closer to a ring than KD. To clarify, I don't think either will win one next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

I think they know themselves that Love won't be hanging around so not much really. Scary as it seems, $60m is not a max. They were in a corner here with Pek, given his production this year it's likely someone would have come in for him so they faced losing him and Love in the next couple of years. After AK47 bolted they were screwed.

Oh I know 60 isn't even close to max but and I could be wrong here, I'd imagine Rubio deal will be up while love is still under contract. Theregore if pek doesn't develop the way they imagine and they lose Love as you say they shall be rightly fcuked

For all the talk of Presti being a genius last year this one has really backfired on them (OKC). I said it at the time I thought it was a mistake letting a guy of Harden's ability and age go and I think now Harden is likely closer to a ring than KD. To clarify, I don't think either will win one next year!

Yeah, Presti's stock has fallen a bit since the trade, a few dodgy moves now....going for Perkins, giving Scott Brooks a new contract, the Harden trade. I suppose the thinking was they couldn't afford all four of Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka/Harden, and they picked Ibaka over Harden, because Harden was more similar to Durant/Westbrook.

You can defend the trade a bit that way, but I think in hindsight it was a mistake not keeping Harden for at least last year, when he was being paid only $5m, and they'd been so close to a championship the year before. Even though he'd be a free agent at the end of the year, you'd still have leverage, do an extension during the year, or a sign-and-trade at the end of the year.

A lot of luck in drafting, Presti's probably not a bad GM, but possibly overhyped a year or two ago (and maybe he started to believe the hype himself, getting too clever with the Harden trade).

On OKC and Presti, if they paid the luxury tax they could have kept Harden. Then they'd be legit contenders. Had the won it all last year (not inconceivable if they had kept Harden and Westbrook didn't get injured) no-one would have complained about the tax. Also, the game is going small, yet Presti choose to keep the bigs.

• Advertisement

Mildly amusing Jeremy Lin self-deprecating video.

Celtics trade Fab Melo for Donte Green who's likely to be immediately released to bring the C's under the luxury tax. Strange move (save for the money aspect) as he's just 23 and 7 feet tall with good college shot-blocking and rebounding capabilities. Yes, I know he just played 6 games last year and spend the rest in the D League but it's still strange that a team in transition would give up on his potential so early.

On the C's, I'm still not sure what they'll do with Rondo. Viewing it from the outside in. I'm not sure Rondo is the guy to lead a young team. His playing style and temperament are more conducive to playing with established stars - I'm not sure he'd have the patience to lead a young team. He's only ever been on winning teams and next year will try his patience to put it mildly. Add to that he'll be coming back from injury and that too will take time. Trading him might be the best option. I say this as a Celtics fan!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

New Suns home jersey, I quite like it.

newlook_2.jpg

New Suns home jersey, I quite like it.

newlook_2.jpg

Have you seen the long sleeve orange away version? Not so hot! On iPhone so can't post a pic but have a look on the googlemachine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Have you seen the long sleeve orange away version? Not so hot! On iPhone so can't post a pic but have a look on the googlemachine.

Yeah it's horrific! Really don't like this new sleeved jersey thing coming into the league, the Warriors have started something awful!

Yeah it's horrific! Really don't like this new sleeved jersey thing coming into the league, the Warriors have started something awful!

In fairness it's more NBA and Adidas than the Warriors, but I think there are 5 teams lined up for that this year!

Just saw a video of Kobe running on an anti-gavity treadmill on si.com. Still a long way from game ready but "wow".

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

He isn't human.

anyone else you'd be supprised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Apparently Lamar Odom is missing and has been addicted to crack cocaine for two years! It's all over social media at the minute.

Paully D wrote: »
    Apparently Lamar Odom is missing and has been addicted to crack cocaine for two years! It's all over social media at the minute.

If only he had a reality show.....:)

What a waste of talent if true.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Question for everyone. Which rookie drafted this year will go on to have the most successful career?

Question for everyone. Which rookie drafted this year will go on to have the most successful career?

Tough call that one as this year's draft was considered quite weak and with teams making some unpredicted calls on draft day. Bennett has a good shot as he's going to a poor team and will get a lot of the ball and they're both big factors in being Rookie of The Year. Beyond that who knows? It depends what you define as success - if it's rings then your pool becomes quite small as only a handful will ever win one, if it's individual stats you're better off being drafted by a poor team. A little f*cked up in a way but true. Short of LeBron rejoining Cleveland, no-one picked 1-11 this year will win a Championship with the team that drafted them in the next 5 years. OKC picked at 12, next contender is Chicago at No. 20.

You could for example be drafted by Miami, play 2 mins garbage time per game all year and win a ring - does that make you successful?

Any news on Lamar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Paully D wrote: »

It will be a cold day in hell before I take a Kardashian press release as fact.

I'm waiting for Kim and Khloe to save him from crack through the powers of ass clenching and talking really slowly. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

The great Tracy McGrady retires from the NBA.

Here are just a few highlights of a great NBA career.

From si.com:
    The agent for free-agent forward Lamar Odom refuted a TMZ report Sunday that said Odom had been missing for 72 hours after a dispute with his wife, reality TV star Khloe Kardashian, reports ESPN.com.

ESPN is also reporting that Odom is in a Los Angeles hotel where friends are trying to get him help for an undisclosed drug problem.

Odom’s agent Jeff Schwartz told ESPN.com on Monday: “Lamar is not missing. His wife knows exactly where he is. Playing in the NBA is still very much a part of Lamar’s plans.”
    Odom, 33, spent last season with the Los Angeles Clippers, averaging four points and 5.8 rebounds while playing all 82 games.

In 13 seasons, Odom has averaged 13.3 points and 8.4 rebounds a game.

And to think some people thought it was more publicity-whoring from the Kardashians....:rolleyes:;)

I don't know what to make of this? Too soon? Personally, I doubt he'll ever achieve the heights (or stats) of that Linsanity period with NY ever again, but great story nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Slow And One Sided

I don't know what to make of this? Too soon? Personally, I doubt he'll ever achieve the heights (or stats) of that Linsanity period with NY ever again, but great story nonetheless.

Totally agree with you, think once he started making those headlines, he's lost the hunger that put him there in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Amusing series of videos for anyone with some time to kill and looking for a chuckle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

I was just killing time there on youtube and I came across this video. I've never heard of "The Courtside Collective, " but fair play for getting that type of access.

Advertisement