Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Offseason Thread 2013-2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Lamar Odom's week going from bad to worse, firstly the Kardashians brand him a crackhead, now arrested for DUI http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1755828-lamar-odom-reportedly-arrested-for-dui

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Simmons' column this week on the career of Tracy McGrady is a good one: The Unfortunate Tale of T-Mac

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Grizzlies release Fab Melo. 6 game NBA career for a 7 footer. Dang.

padraig_f wrote: »
    Simmons' column this week on the career of Tracy McGrady is a good one: The Unfortunate Tale of T-Mac

Great read, thanks for the link!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Grizzlies release Fab Melo. 6 game NBA career for a 7 footer. Dang.

An extra year in college would have done him the world of good.

• Advertisement

An extra year in college would have done him the world of good.

Exactly. He clearly wasn't mature enough (by all accounts) to handle the transition to the pro game. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Great read, thanks for the link!

Yeah was a great piece. I saw after, T-Mac liked it too:

https://twitter.com/Real_T_Mac/status/373656244877156352

Couple of things jumped out of the article for me:

1. How good his stats were,particularly his playoff stats
    2. How bad the rosters he played on were

I've always been amazed by how much Americans value rings when comparing players. Well, Kurt Rambis has more rings than Larry Bird - how's that for an old school reference right there?! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

I have faith in my Pacers this season. The East is going to be tough with The Nets improved and the Bulls getting Rose Back.

But we will be stronger too. Our star man George is improving year on year. Granger will be fit and ready to go. Big Roy will be a force in the paint, our rim protector.

Re-signing West was our most important move of the summer. We've also added important pieces in Scola and Copeland

Champions 2014
    ap-201204172058755044061.jpg

LeBron's mom is dating a rapper I haven't heard of named Lambo. Wonder if he'll get the Yo Momma trash talk this year? at least he has the game to shut it down though. After the Delonte West story I'd say he was hoping for a nice quiet accountant to be his mom's bf......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Derrick Rose and Eric Gordon versus Blake Griffin in high school:

Suns cut Michael Beasley. No surprise really after his latest arrest and the new management and coach. Only question now is will he find anothe NBA team or is he off to China/Europe/Puerto Rico etc.?

Suns cut Michael Beasley. No surprise really after his latest arrest and the new management and coach. Only question now is will he find anothe NBA team or is he off to China/Europe/Puerto Rico etc.?

Such a bust and it's made all the worse by the fact that he actually has talent but has no interest in using it. I have no time for players like that.

Padraig posted a good anecdote a while back about Beasley in the pre-draft meetings with the Bulls which is worth posting again:

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/03/derrick-rose-michael-beasley-and-the-importance-of-pre-draft-interviews/
    During the session with Beasley, there were a couple occasions in which (one of) his (two) cell phones went off. Believe it or not, he answered the calls!

New head coach Vinny Del Negro advised him that he was meeting with the owner and that, at that time, there couldn’t be too many things more important than listening to what Mr. Reinsdorf had to say and answering whatever questions the people at the meeting had of him. When Reinsdorf posed the question, “What about college basketball bothered you most?” Beasley contemplated for a moment and said, “When you go on the road and the referees make bad calls.”

When it was Rose’s turn in front of the brass, he sat up straight and was totally focused. He had a thorough grasp of the magnitude of the encounter. He put his ego aside. Consider this is a guy who won back-to-back state titles in high school and went 38-2 in his only season in college, dropping the national championship game in overtime. His answer speaks for the kind of guy Derrick Rose is and why he’s destined for (even more) greatness. What was his response to Reinsdorf’s question, “What about college basketball bothered you most?”

“Losing.”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

NEW YORK (AP) -- New York Knicks guard J.R. Smith was suspended without pay for five regular-season games by the NBA on Friday for violating the anti-drug program.

Smith, coming off offseason surgery on his left knee, will sit out the first five games for which he is eligible and physically able to play. Smith had patella tendon surgery and arthroscopy that will keep him from joining the Knicks when they open training camp late this month.

"There is a collectively bargained process in place, established by the NBA and the players association, and until that process has played itself out, it would be inappropriate for the NBPA or J.R. to make further statements about the matter," Ron Klempner, the union's acting executive director, said in a statement. "We all look forward to a resolution in due course."

Smith won the Sixth Man of the Year award last season and helped shoot the Knicks into the playoffs before struggling in the postseason. He averaged 18.1 points during the regular season.

Woj reporting that the Heat have a strong interest in bringing Beasley back to Miami. That's exactly the type of signing that destroys a winning culture.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

I can't see Miami 3peating. I think The Pacers will be a stronger force in the East. Bulls, Nets will also present a greater challenge to Miami this time around.

This is a massively important year for the Clippers in the west. They really need to put their stamp on the conference and assert themselves as Championship contenders

Paully D wrote: »
    Woj reporting that the Heat have a strong interest in bringing Beasley back to Miami. That's exactly the type of signing that destroys a winning culture.

Yup, wouldn't touch him with a barge pole for all the off courts extras. If you think about it, if Beasley had just average NBA-level talent and a good attitude and work ethic, he'd have 2 rings by now. He's got an above average game, but an even bigger self-destruct button. If Ray Allen thought he had problems in Boston he'll be in for some fun times at band camp with this guy.

You look at guys like him and Odom and you think if any of us had that much talent.......sigh.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Days like today over here in the US make me yearn for the NBA regular season to begin that bit more.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Days like today over here in the US make me yearn for the NBA regular season to begin that bit more.

Hey Nuri,

Good to hear from you, hope you're enjoying NY?

Lucky b@st@rd! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Beasley signed with the Heat according to Woj.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Josie Colossal Hive

stuba wrote: »

It's a long long shot but Maby lebron s work ethic will rub off on him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭BQQ

As a Heat fan, all I can say is WTF! :confused:

League pass released today, 188 for the for extensive package and 149 for the normal package. Discount codes for both were included in the email aswell, so happy days. Enter code NBALP152013 to save 15% on NBA LEAGUE PASS Premium, or code NBALP102013 to save 10% on NBA LEAGUE PASS.

League pass released today, 188 for the for extensive package and 149 for the normal package. Discount codes for both were included in the email aswell, so happy days. Enter code NBALP152013 to save 15% on NBA LEAGUE PASS Premium, or code NBALP102013 to save 10% on NBA LEAGUE PASS.

Does that include the playoffs?

Yup, they both do. The premium package includes..

EVERY NBA game - follow All 30 NBA Teams*
    Live and On-demand
    Home & Away Announcers**
    NBA TV Live Subscription
    Access to NBA Video Vault
    Watch games from 2012-2013 Season***

And the regular package includes...

EVERY NBA game - follow All 30 NBA Teams*
    Live and On-demand
    Watch games from 2012-2013 Season***

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Is there an expiry on those codes?

It doesn't give a date but it says "And, if you act fast and purchase now, you can save!". So it's ambiguous enough but I did get a 15% discount code online last year too so I presume it was just one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭decies

The nba live TV looks good works on app and you get archeive TV as well !! I wish gamepass would have archeive NFL network . Still no radio coverage on app then which is disappointing for that price .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭decies

No nba TV programmes today or yesterday on app ??

• Advertisement

Training camps have begun. I'm not particularly bothered with them truth be told, but it means the start of the season is getting a lot closer. :D

Advertisement