Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Offseason Thread 2013-2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Dwight Howard, media day 2012

Howard yesterday at media day as a Rocket

Theres a comment to be made here, along the lines of he seems much more serious in the rockets interview. Maybe he is finally maturing, and ready to leave all the nonsense behind him? Anyone else know why he has started talking like Shaq, all soft?

TBH, this would be a better post, but it's 2am and I'm tired. I would do it tomorrow, but I might forget it. So take no heed of the post, I'm slightly drunk anyway, but I think seeing the 2 vids together is interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The finals are reportedly going back to 2-2-1-1-1, great news. The committee voted unanimously to change it.

Totally missed this. Glen Grundwald has got the axe as GM of the Knicks. First off, I think that is extremely harsh. The Knicks are coming off their best season in years, 54 wins, 2nd seed, won the division, and finally getting out of the first round. My thoughts on this are well summed up by Mike Lupica of the NY Daily News, so I don't think I need to make the points he makes here. This much we know, Steve Mills will lean heavily on Isiah as GM, which is not a good thing for us Knickerbockers... Read http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/lupica-knicks-gm-move-latest-proof-dolan-clue-article-1.1469096

"If you wanted to know how threatened Dolan is by the Nets, this is how threatened: On the eve of training camp opening, he decides to make a move like this".

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Tick, tock, tick, tock...

Less than a month :)

im not sure what to think about this season there will be a lot of tanking

• Advertisement

Some storylines to watch over training camp:

http://nba.si.com/2013/10/01/nba-training-camps-derrick-rose-doc-rivers-kobe-bryant/
    Doc Rivers and the long road ahead. The Clippers paid a high price — $21 million over three years and a first-round draft pick — to hire Rivers as their coach, largely in the hope that he could get the most out of a talented roster while helping develop the team’s young, hyper-athletic big men. That work began in earnest months ago, but training camp is a prime opportunity for Rivers to set his standards for the season and lay the groundwork for his team’s defensive execution.

Rivers is already employing very different motivational tactics as he tailors his approach to each player. On the one hand, much-maligned center DeAndre Jordan — who was held to just 24.5 minutes per game last season and pulled from crucial situations by Vinny Del Negro — gets his ego stroked (via Arash Markazi of ESPN.com):

“I think he’s huge for us. I think he will be consistent,” Rivers said. “I’m looking at DeAndre Jordan as an all-defensive player. I think he should be on the all-defensive team. I think he should be a candidate to win the defensive player of the year award. It’s going to require consistency for him to do that. We need him to be the captain of our defense. I’m putting a lot on his plate. All the other stuff will take care of itself.”
    Chris Paul, on the other hand, was reminded by Rivers of all that he has yet to accomplish (via Marc Spears of Yahoo! Sports):

“As professional athletes, you always want someone to push you and motivate you,” Paul said. “The first meeting I had with Doc, he pretty much told me I wasn’t anything. He told me I hadn’t done anything in this league, and he was right. You don’t always want somebody that’s going to tell you what you want to hear.”
    Rivers has a knack for pushing the right buttons, but what remains to be seen is how he goes about reshaping the Clippers’ defense and bringing the essential personnel up to speed. Jordan might have the physical tools to be a great defender, but there’s an incredible divide between those raw capabilities and their actualized defensive form. Getting the likes of Jordan and power forward Blake Griffin to become more solid defensively is one of Rivers’ biggest challenges.

Clippers unveil sleeved alternate jersey

• Derrick Rose’s transition. While a patient rehabilitation has set up Rose for a full return to the court, the Bulls are taking a procedural approach to his reintegration. There’s an understandably deliberate process in place — one that will gear up both Rose and the Bulls gradually over the next few weeks, as he earns frequent reps with Chicago’s first unit and acclimates himself to an altered supporting cast.

For the moment, that process manifests with planned, periodic days off, just to make sure that no element of Rose’s return is in any way forced. Coach Tom Thibodeau elaborates (via K.C. Johnson of the Chicago Tribune):

“We said we’d take it step-by-step,” Thibodeau said. “[Rose] has practiced very well. The next step is to see where he is in a game. We’re trying to get it as close to a gamelike condition as we can. He has handled that part. But there’s nothing like a game.
    “The preseason games will be the next step. And of course there’s a different level when we get to the regular season. But he has prepared himself well.”
    Having been medically cleared and participated in rigorous workouts, all that really remains for Rose are those next two gradations — the training wheels of exhibition play followed by legitimate regular-season basketball. All accounts of his movement and performance in practice point to his being ready to move on to game action, but we can fully expect a Rose-centric preseason if only because of the anticipation for his return.

PHOTOS: Scenes from NBA Media Day

• A fresh start in Brooklyn. The Nets have some measure of continuity in returning the likes of Deron Williams, Brook Lopez, Joe Johnson, Andray Blatche and Reggie Evans, but this is largely a new roster led by a first-time coach and a new staff. Any shift of that kind would bring about a great deal of strategic adjustment, but the Nets offer an even more unusual case in going from fairly basic systems to what is likely a more dynamic approach.

In adding Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Andrei Kirilenko and Jason Terry, Brooklyn has overhauled its ability to execute. A wider variety of players can initiate offense, the regular rotation will be stocked with more reliable scorers and the defensive personnel has been upgraded significantly. There are a lot of pieces for coach Jason Kidd to toggle, and how he goes about managing those options has a significant bearing on Brooklyn’s season. No contending hopeful has more to accomplish this preseason in terms of fundamental operations.

• Tyreke Evans, reserve. One of the more substantive announcements from Media Day came from Pelicans coach Monty Williams, who said he plans bring Evans off the bench this season, as has been rumored since his signing. But speculation continues about what exactly that might mean for Evans in practical basketball terms. A slot in the starting five would likely have translated to a fairly conventional role on the wing, but in bringing Evans off the bench Williams has an opportunity to use his versatile new addition in more varied capacities. He could spell Jrue Holiday as a primary ball-handler, fill in for Eric Gordon as a slashing guard or simply better balance out the second unit with his scoring while nominally playing the part of a small forward.

The options are many for Williams and Evans, provided that there’s a mutual understanding of what this kind of adjustment can offer all parties involved. So far, so good, but it’s one thing for Evans to agree to this arrangement in theory and another entirely for him to play out the season as such in good spirits.

Absentee stars. Rajon Rondo likely won’t be ready for the start of the season. Kobe Bryant has no timetable for his return. Russell Westbrook is now expected to miss the first month of the season. Andrew Bynum remains more of a concept than a player. But the Celtics, Lakers, Thunder and Cavaliers, respectively, will all go through camp as best they can while attempting whatever adjustments are necessary. The costs there are twofold: Not only will all four teams miss the production of those star players for however long they’re sidelined, but they’ll also have to set the foundation of their seasons without a critical component. That can be managed, but the reintegration of such a prominent player can be an understated challenge.

• Sacramento’s fresh start and scrambled depth chart. With changes in ownership, management and coaching, the Kings have pulled off as close to a top-down reboot as an NBA franchise can manage. But Sacramento’s roster remains a stew of talent with no discernible order. DeMarcus Cousins might be the only player on the roster who can be penciled in as a starter, leaving the recently hired Mike Malone to forge his rotation from scratch. Should the pass-first Greivis Vasquez — who was acquired in a sign-and-trade for Evans — start at the point over the more scoring-capable Isaiah Thomas? What’s the best way to balance the wing rotation between Marcus Thornton, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, John Salmons and rookie Ben McLemore? How should Carl Landry, Patrick Patterson, Jason Thompson and Chuck Hayes be assigned minutes to best complement Cousins? Minutes and starting spots are up for grabs nearly across the board.

• The Lakers’ contrast in expectations. As Bryant tells it, the Lakers still have championship aspirations. He shouldn’t be expected to say anything less; there are seemingly no conditions under which Bryant would admit preseason defeat, least of all when he needs to retain full mental engagement as to best rehabilitate from a torn Achilles tendon.

That stance, however, does run contrary to common logic and positions us all for a long season of L.A.’s trying to “prove the doubters wrong.” There’s no trope in professional sports more stale than the athlete who feels as though he’s been slighted, and in the juxtaposition of Bryant’s expectations and more grounded public projections, we can already see that formula taking shape. Power to players like Bryant maintaining that their team is better than it’s been given credit — I just hope that a weird, interesting Lakers team doesn’t drudge through some wearying, year-long narrative for validation.

Kobe: I don’t care about Howard’s departure

• Miami’s reclamation projects. The two-time defending champs have two talented, minimum-salary players in camp, each looking to work from the ground up. By the nature of their reputations, both figure to be chronicled consistently. For center Greg Oden, 25, that means periodic updates on his health and availability, though coach Erik Spoelstra was quick to deflect any expectation whatsoever for the No. 1 pick in 2007 (via Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald):

“There is no timetable,” coach Erik Spoelstra said when asked when [Oden] might play in a game. “If it happens in two months, if it happens in three months, who knows? We’re going in with an open mind. No expectations.”
    As for Michael Beasley, 24, Spoelstra explains (per Ira Winderman of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel):

”We’ll see how [Beasley] fits in, and I don’t have that answer right now. I don’t have specific expectations for him on the court. I’m curious to see how it’s going to work out.”
    The status of both players bears following, but Beasley’s case is certainly more camp-relevant. While Oden has a guaranteed contract for the season, Beasley’s deal with the Heat could be nixed at any time — a fair stipulation after the volume-shooting forward wore out his welcome in each of his last two NBA stops. The Heat have the potential to make good use of Beasley’s skills if he can embrace being a role player.

Man, I can't wait to see Derrick Rose play again!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Purchased the league pass tonight myself, 150 for the lot. Not too bad at all, think I paid the same last year and they've included more this year!!

Andrew Bynum remains more of a concept than a player.

That is the sentence of the preseason right there. Great stuff. It's getting closer lads:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

The lads from TBJ have joined nba.com as bloggers and podcasters. Fair play to them

Thats huge for TBJ, even if the name is utterly useless. Just another reason to sign up for league pass. What this effectively will mean, is that they are now part of the inner circle of nba journalism. This makes it highly likely that they will have access to players and coaches throughout the season, for interviews and what not! Brilliant news, and a validation for Skeets, Tassy Trey and the boys, they have reached the mountain top. I can't wait for the first podcast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Just bought my tickets for the bulls n bobcats at the united centre. First ever nba game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

stuchyg wrote: »
    Just bought my tickets for the bulls n bobcats at the united centre. First ever nba game.

Enjoy dude. Don't forget to take loads of pics and post them on here when you get back!

I see the Clippers are saying no more Lob City. Doc Rivers influence on the team already beginning to show.

Well, it was fun while it lasted, but I can't see a team with a passer as good as Paul and athletes like Griffin and Jordan (amongst others) being able to resist the temptation not to throw it about every once in a while.......will be interesting to see if Doc benches anyone if they try it! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Pacers v Bulls tonight.

Pacers v Bulls tonight.

Derrick Rose is playing.

homer_simpson_drooling.gif

Paully D wrote: »
    Derrick Rose is playing.

homer_simpson_drooling.gif

I know it's just pre-season but these teams are major rivals. A can't see a game like this not being competitive.

Noah,Boozer,Deng,Buttler,Rose

Hibbert,West,Granger,George,Hill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Can't wait to see Derrick Rose back on the court tonight. At times I'd have liked to see him back last season, but right now I'm happy they held off (can't have been too easy for the player or organisation). No real expectations for his performance, will just be looking for him to stay healthy initially.

Will also be looking out for our first round draft pick Tony Snell, liked the look of him in Summer league. Will be a development project, but some Jimmy Butler-type potential there. Stylistically he reminded me a bit of Scottie Pippen....similar frame, 6-7, long arm-span, very good ball-handler for his size, good shooter too. Looked very slight in Summer league and will need to bulk up a bit, but definitely a player with potential.

I know it's just pre-season but these teams are major rivals. A can't see a game like this not being competitive.

Noah,Boozer,Deng,Buttler,Rose

Hibbert,West,Granger,George,Hill

You've obviously never watched preseason. It wont be competitive.

D. Rose looks good, wasn't sure if the explosiveness was gonna be back at this stage, but it's there. I think he was playing the game a bit in 3rd gear, particularly in the first quarter, eased himself back into it, but at times turned on the jets and looked as fast as ever. Also doesn't look like he's going to change the way he plays, still going into traffic, no tentativeness either in his play, which is a great sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

padraig_f wrote: »
    Can't wait to see Derrick Rose back on the court tonight. At times I'd have liked to see him back last season, but right now I'm happy they held off (can't have been too easy for the player or organisation). No real expectations for his performance, will just be looking for him to stay healthy initially.

Will also be looking out for our first round draft pick Tony Snell, liked the look of him in Summer league. Will be a development project, but some Jimmy Butler-type potential there. Stylistically he reminded me a bit of Scottie Pippen....similar frame, 6-7, long arm-span, very good ball-handler for his size, good shooter too. Looked very slight in Summer league and will need to bulk up a bit, but definitely a player with potential.

I really disliked Snell as a prospect before the draft and I don't really know if I've changed my opinion. He has nowhere near the talent of Butler, and I'm aware of where Butler was picked. Snell put up completely pedestrian numbers at a small school and failed to stand out. Not like he was a freshman either, pretty sure he was a junior if I recall correctly (could be wrong on that as memory is hazy).

Having said that, he does have the prototype SF game. Long, good shooter and supposedly plays good man defense (I say supposedly as I didn't get to see much of him in college and his numbers don't back up that claim, but there's more to defense than steals/blocks and he does have a rep of being a good defender). Not that I want the guy to fail or anything, but I can only see him being a solid role player at absolute best. And that's if I squint hard...

I'll be interested to see how he does because he gained a lot of momentum before the draft, was originally thought of as a mid 2nd rounder.

• Advertisement

Rose out tonight with ''left knee soreness.'' I'm sure it's just precautionary, but....

*Goes to corner of the room and weeps*

moneyman wrote: »
    I really disliked Snell as a prospect before the draft and I don't really know if I've changed my opinion. He has nowhere near the talent of Butler, and I'm aware of where Butler was picked. Snell put up completely pedestrian numbers at a small school and failed to stand out. Not like he was a freshman either, pretty sure he was a junior if I recall correctly (could be wrong on that as memory is hazy).

Having said that, he does have the prototype SF game. Long, good shooter and supposedly plays good man defense (I say supposedly as I didn't get to see much of him in college and his numbers don't back up that claim, but there's more to defense than steals/blocks and he does have a rep of being a good defender). Not that I want the guy to fail or anything, but I can only see him being a solid role player at absolute best. And that's if I squint hard...

I'll be interested to see how he does because he gained a lot of momentum before the draft, was originally thought of as a mid 2nd rounder.

Fair enough, I only saw him in Summer League, so was very much initial impressions. I did notice he was a bit on the passive side, but wasn't sure if that was to do with playing with unfamiliar teammates. Maybe that explains why he didn't put up big numbers in college. One thing I forgot to mention that I liked was his court-vision, not a big thing for an SF maybe, but when his selling point was apparently his shooting and defense, was good to see. But yeah, I was very much projecting, so will need to see how he does in the NBA.
    Rose out tonight with ''left knee soreness.'' I'm sure it's just precautionary, but....

*Goes to corner of the room and weeps*

Makes this pre-season game a lot less appealing. Wouldn't say it's anything to worry about at this point. Heard they are being a bit more careful in general with health this year...

Have the Bulls undergone a culture shift in regards to health?

padraig_f wrote: »
    Makes this pre-season game a lot less appealing. Wouldn't say it's anything to worry about at this point. Heard they are being a bit more careful in general with health this year...

Have the Bulls undergone a culture shift in regards to health?

Good news especially if it means it's less likely Thibs will run the players into the ground and have them burnt out come playoff time.

Taj is on fire tonight by the way, I'm expecting a big season from him this year. I was disappointed with him last season but he said a lot of it was down to a confidence issue due to the pressure of playing under a big contract extension. He's supposedly put on 15 pounds of muscle during the offseason!

I've put on my Blue and Gold tinted specs and put my money where my heart is. I've backed my Pacers at 6/1 to win the eastern conference.

Bulls and Nets are joint 2nd favorites at 9/2. Miami obviously hot faves at 11/10

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Oladipo is a steal at 4s for the ROY I think.

Good news especially if it means it's less likely Thibs will run the players into the ground and have them burnt out come playoff time.

Taj is on fire tonight by the way, I'm expecting a big season from him this year. I was disappointed with him last season but he said a lot of it was down to a confidence issue due to the pressure of playing under a big contract extension. He's supposedly put on 15 pounds of muscle during the offseason!

Yeah Taj is looking great in the pre-season. You can see the extra weight on him, looks physically more like Boozer now. Seems to be playing more aggressive offensively, which is good to see. There'll probably be a lot of talk of amnestying Boozer next summer, so if Taj can improve his offensive game this year, it would make that decision easier.

I've put on my Blue and Gold tinted specs and put my money where my heart is. I've backed my Pacers at 6/1 to win the eastern conference.

Bulls and Nets are joint 2nd favorites at 9/2. Miami obviously hot faves at 11/10

Not a bad bet, especially as I can't see the Heat coming out of the East again this year. If the Bulls hold it together, and Rose can get back to past form,then I would back them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

buyer95 wrote: »
    Not a bad bet, especially as I can't see the Heat coming out of the East again this year. If the Bulls hold it together, and Rose can get back to past form,then I would back them.
    It's going to be the Heat again unless James gets injured. Sorry to burst the bubble so early but it is what it is. Anyone wants to back the field against me I'll take a few

• Advertisement

Felexicon wrote: »
    It's going to be the Heat again unless James gets injured. Sorry to burst the bubble so early but it is what it is. Anyone wants to back the field against me I'll take a few

Can't see it being the Heat. LeBron can't do it all on his own and Wade and Bosh are going backwards at a rate of knots.

My bet for the year will be that the Heat will not win it all.

Advertisement