Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Offseason Thread 2013-2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Josie Colossal Hive

stuba wrote: »
    Adrian Wojnarowski reporting that the Celtics and Nets are trying to work out a trade with Garnett, Pierce and Terry to Brooklyn and Humphries, Wallace, Bogans, Evans, Shengalia and 3 first round picks going to Boston.

Could be the massive overhaul Celtics are looking for. An expensive deal for the Nets too. A Williams, Iso-Joe, Pierce, Garnett, Lopez starting 5 would be interesting even if it was only for a year, or 2 max.

3 first rounders seem like madness though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

New Nets Team
    3448.png&w=350&h=254261.png&w=350&h=254662.png&w=350&h=2541007.png&w=350&h=2542798.png&w=350&h=254

jet wont start instead of joe johnson hes been terrible this year

jet wont start instead of joe johnson hes been terrible this year

You are right, Damn Johnson completely slipped my mind

You are right, Damn Johnson completely slipped my mind

:) also if kidd has a head on him in garnett and pierce will be rested a lot during the season they have played way to many mins the last 2 seasons

This team makes the playoffs I'd be shocked if they didn't biggest issue is having everyone rested come playoff time

• Advertisement

:) also if kidd has a head on him in garnett and pierce will be rested a lot during the season they have played way to many mins the last 2 seasons

This team makes the playoffs I'd be shocked if they didn't biggest issue is having everyone rested come playoff time

Yeah If they are to be championship contenders they will need decent players coming off the bench. Brooklyn have allot more work to do before the new season begin to get their bench in order

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Anyone see this?
    Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 1h
    Rumble in coaching circles is that Celtics see Jay Larranaga's stint in charge of summer-league team as audition for replacing Doc Rivers

I remember Jay playing for Ireland a few years ago, he was a very good player. Would be awesome to see him coaching in the NBA! Wish him all the best if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

moneyman wrote: »
    Anyone see this?

I remember Jay playing for Ireland a few years ago, he was a very good player. Would be awesome to see him coaching in the NBA! Wish him all the best if it happens.

2 pages back http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85248338&postcount=41

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

BN4d_MGYCMAEst_Zz.jpg

looking over the celtics offseason so far i dont think they could have done much better we lost a coach that didnt want to stay anyway and 2 aging stars and got 4 first rounders

so in 2014 we have:
    our 1st rounder-possibly a lottery pick in what could be one of the best drafts since the lebron draft

Brooklyns 1st rounder- likely a late round pick but we could potentially trade up to get a good role player or may actually pick one up where we are

2015-
    our 1st rounder- likley a lottery again as whoever we picked top or the 2014 draft may need a year to get used to the nba if not its another role player or trade piece
    clippers first rounder- again should be late bar an injury to cp3 probably more use for trading up a few spots with our other pick/ in the 2014 draft

our 1st- we should be improving at this stage and in the playoffs

broolyns 1st- i think the nets are going down hill at this stage kg and pierce will likely be retired deron williams and joe johnsons contracts are huge for the players they are i think this is potentially a lottery pick

2017-
    we should have a late first rounder but we have the rights to swap with the nets and who knows how they will be here i dont think they will be doing well at this stage they no longer have jay z to attract free agents and i think the hype around them will be quietned down unless they win a title next year

our 1st-who knows
    brooklyns first-who knows

i understand this is dream scenario but i think we have so many firsts (and i dont think the nets will have bad picks for the 2016 or 2017 draft) that we should be able to do something. pretty happy with how things have gone even if we did have to see pp go

what do ye think or am i dreaming

• Advertisement

also we have a few trade exceptions and tons of cap flexability come the 2014-2015 season

can we amnesty gerald wallace?

You're going to have to absolutely tank next season to get one of the Wiggins/Parker/Randle's of next years draft.
    The bigger question is will Rondo stick around for this rebuilding?

can we amnesty gerald wallace?
    I don't think so. Boston will have to pay him $10m next season

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

looking over the celtics offseason so far i dont think they could have done much better we lost a coach that didnt want to stay anyway and 2 aging stars and got 4 first rounders

I wasn't sure how to evaluate that trade, there was so many pieces in it. But yeah, I think the Celtics did ok out of it. People say the late first-round picks aren't worth a whole lot, but you get a few shots at them (think it's 9 first-round picks they have, over the next 5 years), and could find some good role players or a starter or two.

Then their own picks will probably be lottery picks, they're basically trying to do what the Thunder did (which you need a bit of luck to do, but they're giving themselves a good chance).

Next year will be ugly, but the following year should be fun.

I don't think so. Boston will have to pay him $10m next season

Yeah think you can only amnesty your own players who where under contract at the time the CBA was signed, doesn't apply to new players you get in a trade. Don't think the Gerald Wallace contract is a big problem anyway, not gonna be challenging for any honours in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

As a C's fan, I'm sad to see KG and Pierce go but it was the right move long-term.

Re. those 9 picks over the next 5 years...I wouldn't be so sure Ainge is done wheeling and dealing just yet.i'd imagine some of those picks will be traded along with possibly some of the new acquisitions either for a player or for higher picks.

Will suck to see Kris Humpdashian in a Celtics jersey though if it happens!

On the subject of the Celtics being blown up, I'm gonna miss those Bulls-Celtics games next year. Since the 7-game series in '09, they were always the games I enjoyed most. Just two tough, fundamentally sound basketball teams playing the right way, you always had to earn your wins.

The '09 series was a kind of coming-of-age series for the Bulls. A young team against the defending champions in the first round. Even though the Bulls would end up losing it, the fact that they could take the NBA champions to 7 games I think gave the players & fans a lot of belief in the team.

This play is still an iconic one. Noah is an all-star now, but up to then, there were still some question-marks about him, and this was a defining moment for him and the team.

After that, the Celtics always seemed to be benchmark for the Bulls, and the games were always close. Even when the Heat got on top in the last year or two, I still kind of measured the Bulls against the Celtics, because they were a more balanced team than the Heat and so fundamentally sound. You knew if you could beat that Celtics team, you were in pretty good shape.

Celtic Team Right now
    Olynyk-Kelly.jpg2745.png&w=350&h=2543209.png&w=350&h=254

4240.png&w=350&h=2543026.png&w=350&h=254

Celtic Team Right now
    Olynyk-Kelly.jpg2745.png&w=350&h=2543209.png&w=350&h=254

4240.png&w=350&h=2543026.png&w=350&h=254

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Especially if you're a Celtics fan......:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Poor auld Rondo.

Rajon Rondo Rumors:

The latest rumors surrounding Boston Celtics superstar point guard Rajon Rondo indicate that he may be headed to the Dallas Mavericks.

A report by Gary Washburn of The Boston Globe on Saturday cites an NBA source with knowledge of the situation, who indicates the Mavs are indeed interested in obtaining Rondo's services.

Part of the reason the pursuit of Rondo is under serious consideration, too, is because Dallas is also in the running to land Dwight Howard. The franchise figures that the addition of Rondo would enhance the recruiting pitch, and therefore the odds of signing the center in free agency.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! confirms what Washburn is reporting, and provides details from his own sources who say that Boston GM Danny Ainge is angling to have the Mavericks absorb some of the Celtics' contracts:

Read more at http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1688900-rajon-rondo-rumors-latest-on-celtics-stars-potential-move-to-mavericks?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Rockets are getting the first round of negotiations with Dwight. Given that the latest was that he was swayed towards the Mavs, that could be onimous for Houston as they have to beware being used as bargaining fodder to demand a super max offer from Dallas. This is also the last roll of the dice for this era of the Mavs, Dirk might be able to get one more season of big numbers if motivated but that's about it. Cuban has placed all his eggs in this Howard-shaped basket. You sense that Houston could cope better without him too, given that they've a young core. But, to me as I've said before, I still think that'd be a perfect fit.

Either way it looks like we're just a couple of weeks away from being able to finally put any Dwight Howard/contract discussions to bed once and for all.

Rajon Rondo Rumors:

The latest rumors surrounding Boston Celtics superstar point guard Rajon Rondo indicate that he may be headed to the Dallas Mavericks.

A report by Gary Washburn of The Boston Globe on Saturday cites an NBA source with knowledge of the situation, who indicates the Mavs are indeed interested in obtaining Rondo's services.

Part of the reason the pursuit of Rondo is under serious consideration, too, is because Dallas is also in the running to land Dwight Howard. The franchise figures that the addition of Rondo would enhance the recruiting pitch, and therefore the odds of signing the center in free agency.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! confirms what Washburn is reporting, and provides details from his own sources who say that Boston GM Danny Ainge is angling to have the Mavericks absorb some of the Celtics' contracts:

Read more at http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1688900-rajon-rondo-rumors-latest-on-celtics-stars-potential-move-to-mavericks?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

If you're Rondo you have to be thinking about leaving given all the upheaval, but another body blow for the C's if this happens. Or all part of the tanking to get #1 or #2 plan.

If you're Rondo you have to be thinking about leaving given all the upheaval, but another body blow for the C's if this happens. Or all part of the tanking to get #1 or #2 plan.

I'm thinking he has to leave. Even if Boston tank next season enough to Get on one of the Wiggins/Parker/Randel/Gordon class in 2014. There is still on enough there to challenge for championships for another 4/5 years by which time Rondo is in his 30s on the back slope of his career

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Bargnani gone to the Knicks for Novak, Camby, a first round pick and 2 second round picks. Not sure if this is a great trade for either team but the guys on the basketball jones podcast will be delighted Bargnani is gone from Toronto!!!
    Collison of the Mavs is also a unrestricted free agent now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Great trade for the Raptors.

They have gotten rid of a soft 7 footer on a big contract who can't rebound. Bargnani's era at the Raptors was a dark time for the franchise. Time for them to move on.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Raptors are the only winners here >_<

TRADE

The Houston Rockets trade Thomas Robinson to the Portland Trailblazers for the rights to Kostas Papanikolaou and Marko Todorovic as well as two future second-round draft picks.

• Advertisement

Detroit Pistons general manager Joe Dumars met with Atlanta Hawks forward Josh Smith at 12:01 a.m. ET with a plan to make the free agent forward a substantial four-year offer
    2411.png&w=350&h=254

Kings restricted free agent Tyreke Evans began free agency by meeting with the New Orleans Pelicans
    3983.png&w=350&h=254

As the Memphis Grizzlies plan to make a pitch to free agent Tony Allen on Monday, the Indiana Pacers, Milwaukee Bucks and New York Knicks are part of a growing cast of suitors interested in Allen
    2367.png&w=350&h=254

Advertisement