Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Offseason Thread 2013-2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The NY Toronto trade makes very little sense to me from a Knicks perspective. Can understand wanting rid of 39 year old Camby and his contract, but why give up Novak and 3 picks too to take on a 7 figure contract for 2 years? Can't really see how AB complements them offensively, and defensively he'll give the, diddly squat.

On the other trade noise, I'm done with the speculation until trades happen. Too time consuming keeping up with all the ifs, buts and maybes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭BQQ

Pelicans offer Tyreke $44 million over 4 years :eek:

With Holiday and Gordon already in the backcourt, this makes no sense whatsoever.
    No way the kings are matching that offer.

BQQ wrote: »

With Holiday and Gordon already in the backcourt, this makes no sense whatsoever.

Bye bye Gordon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Bulls use the MMLE to sign Mike Dunleavy Jr. for $3m/year over the next two years. As they're in the luxury tax, this was the most they could spend on a free-agent without doing a trade. Not gonna get someone super-exciting for that price, but looks a solid pickup.

I'm going mainly on stats/reports because I don't know his game that well, but they look pretty good. Career 37% from 3, over 40%+ over the last 3 years. 8th highest 3P% in the NBA last year at 42.8%, and 8th among SGs in TS%, at 57%.

Solid ball-handler, good assist-to-turnover ratio, good defender by all accounts.

Can play 2 or 3. While Jimmy and Deng can both shoot the 3, neither is a 40% shooter, so think it's useful to have someone like that to stretch the floor, and play either position.

Age 32, but doesn't sound like a guy who relied on athleticism that much, so should be ok as long as he stays healthy. For a guy coming off the bench, I think that should be fine.

BullsBlogger: Bulls sign Mike Dunleavy: reported 2-year deal for swingman

Mike Prada: Mike Dunleavy agrees to terms with Bulls, giving Chicago an underrated bench piece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Dunleavy sucks on D. I watched him play for the Pacers. Poor attitude aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

BQQ wrote: »

It's really not a crazy offer. It's about what he should be getting. But yes, Gordon needs to be gone, Tyreke isn't coming off the bench. And if the Kings know what's good for them, they'll match the offer. A small market like that can't let talent like Tyreke walk for nothing, especially for a reasonable contract.

You might think it's a crazy contract, but take it from someone who watched every Kings game since he was a rookie. The last couple of seasons he's been marginalised by idiotic coaches (in favor of undersized chuckers like Isaiah Thomas) who have no business being head coaches of any NBA teams. He's improved his shot selection, decision making, shooting, he's an excellent defender. And if a team puts the ball in his hands and lets him create for himself and others, you will see far more production. He was jerked around from position to position and made an after-thought in Smart's mini-chucker offense. National media isn't to be taken seriously when it comes to small market teams because they don't see them play - they go by stats and whatever lazy s**t is convenient for them to say.

Mark my words, any team that gets Tyreke for 11 mil per is getting themselves a very solid deal. He's already a top 3 player in the entire league at getting to the rim and finishing (irrefutable fact - he's at the top of the league every year in attempts at the rim and finishing % - ahead of players like Harden, Westbrook, Ginobili, Kobe etc). I'm not saying he's as good as those guys but his jumper has shown improvement and if that continues, there's no doubt in my mind that he'll be an all-star down the road.

I'd agree on above. He's been horribly under-utilized and badly coached in a poorly organised franchise (to put it mildly) yet I haven't heard him complain. You don't post numbers like he did in his rookie season without being able to play. I think Sacramento would be daft to let him go, but if they do, I'd imagine other teams other than the Pelicans will post an interest even at $44-48mil (depending on who you listen to, varying reports online).

You also have to give some props to the Pelicans for the balls they're showing in the last few weeks between draft night moves and this. It's a real statement of intent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

I'd agree on above. He's been horribly under-utilized and badly coached in a poorly organised franchise (to put it mildly) yet I haven't heard him complain. You don't post numbers like he did in his rookie season without being able to play. I think Sacramento would be daft to let him go, but if they do, I'd imagine other teams other than the Pelicans will post an interest even at $44-48mil (depending on who you listen to, varying reports online).

You also have to give some props to the Pelicans for the balls they're showing in the last few weeks between draft night moves and this. It's a real statement of intent.

Yeah, the last few years have been so painful for us Kings fans. I really don't think anyone outside of the fanbase actually realises how putrid the Maloofs were as owners. Thankfully that era is over and we have a great owner and a promising young coaching staff who will hopefully start to turn the culture around.

There is an absolute wealth of information, statistics (both basic and advanced) out there proving just how misused Tyreke has been since his rookie year, and showing the various improvements he's made. He'll never be a superstar, but as an all-star level player who plays on BOTH sides of the ball - that's valuable and 11 million is not overpaying. Especially when you consider his age (still only 23), upside, and type of game. He's a big, physically punishing guard. Those are the types that get you deep into the playoffs. It's always been that way and always will be. Getting to the rim sets everything up.

EDIT: Another point that you touched upon - Tyreke literally never complains. He's very professional and a quite guy. He's been put through the ringer the last few seasons and not once has he thrown the coach or anyone else into it. He's a great teammate, never whines or blames anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

In other Bulls news (such as it is) Rip Hamilton will be heading for the dole queue http://bit.ly/13jXo5h and Nazir Mohammed will be back for next season, presumably for minimum pay http://bit.ly/162fXpo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Not Sure Evans will be the starting SG for long with McLemore around

• Advertisement

Not Sure Evans will be the starting SG for long with McLemore around

STOP. PLEASE STOP.

simpsons-maggie-makes-three-4.jpg

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Dunleavy sucks on D. I watched him play for the Pacers. Poor attitude aswell.

I was probably wrong to say he was a good defender, but equally "sucks" is probably overstating it.

John Hollinger player profiles 2012/13:
    Defensively, Dunleavy also had renewed juice. He's not a gambler, finishing in the bottom 10 at his spot in both blocks and steals per minute, but opposing small forwards had just a 10.1 PER against him according to 82games.com and the Bucks gave up 5.6 fewer points per 100 possessions with him on the floor. While the Bucks monitored his matchups and rarely let him within hailing distance of an elite scorer, he has shown he can defend the 3 position competently.

Basketball Prospectus 2012/13:
    On defense, Dunleavy doesn’t have the best reputation, posting poor numbers in all the counting stats and ranking low in the play-by-play metrics. Yet the Bucks’ Defensive Rating was 5.7 points better with him on the floor, so while that may say more about Carlos Delfino, it’s apparent that Dunleavy wasn’t killing them at that end.

I found this as well, from when he was playing with the Pacers, so maybe this is what you saw.

Hollinger player profiles 2011/12:
    Playing out of position at shooting guard for much of the season, Dunleavy often found himself in impossible defensive predicaments; he's challenged enough keeping up with small forwards, but fleet shooting guards treated him as a traffic cone. Nonetheless, his heady team defense helped make him a solid performer overall defensively; he just can't be asked to check talented wings by himself. Dunleavy takes charges by the bushel and reads opposing plays as well as anyone in the league, plus his improved rates of blocks and rebounds are indicators that his balky knee was feeling a lot better.

As long as he plays ok defensively within a system (which seems to be the case), that's fine. He's a $3m/year guy who shoots 40% from 3, you're not asking for the world.

Clippers gain a little there. Reddick is a little more solid than Bledsoe right now.

Its a nothing trade really, Not going to make any waves in the NBA. But lesser teams won't want to next season. If you're not a playoff contender you don't want to play yourself down the Draft order

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Shocked Bledsoe went there.

Amyway, Kevin Martin has joined the Timberwolves and will earn near $8M a year..
    Guess Lamb and Jones III will see far more action next season for OKC.

Talk of AK47 to Spurs as well.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Shocked Bledsoe went there.

Amyway, Kevin Martin has joined the Timberwolves and will earn near $8M a year..
    Guess Lamb and Jones III will see far more action next season for OKC.

Talk of AK47 to Spurs as well.
    e

Just when you thought the Harden trade couldn't look any worse."OKC you should have paid the man"

This is good for the T wolves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

padraig_f wrote: »
    Bulls use the MMLE to sign Mike Dunleavy Jr. for $3m/year over the next two years. As they're in the luxury tax, this was the most they could spend on a free-agent without doing a trade. Not gonna get someone super-exciting for that price, but looks a solid pickup.

I'm going mainly on stats/reports because I don't know his game that well, but they look pretty good. Career 37% from 3, over 40%+ over the last 3 years. 8th highest 3P% in the NBA last year at 42.8%, and 8th among SGs in TS%, at 57%.

Solid ball-handler, good assist-to-turnover ratio, good defender by all accounts.

Can play 2 or 3. While Jimmy and Deng can both shoot the 3, neither is a 40% shooter, so think it's useful to have someone like that to stretch the floor, and play either position.

Age 32, but doesn't sound like a guy who relied on athleticism that much, so should be ok as long as he stays healthy. For a guy coming off the bench, I think that should be fine.

BullsBlogger: Bulls sign Mike Dunleavy: reported 2-year deal for swingman

Mike Prada: Mike Dunleavy agrees to terms with Bulls, giving Chicago an underrated bench piece

I watched him play for Warriors for a long time, pretty solid player and Thibs will do a good job utilizing him, could come in handy for the playoffs

I watched him play for Warriors for a long time, pretty solid player and Thibs will do a good job utilizing him, could come in handy for the playoffs

Tru dat. Thibs is the perfect coach to maximise what audible any has to offer on both ends of the court. And he can shoot which will space the floor. Seems like a good fit to me.

Surprised on the Bledsoe trade. Despite his stats, the Clippers seemed determined to get rid of him - wonder what the real issue is? Not sure how much Reddick helps though if I'm honest.

After the Denver Nuggets expressed an unwillingness to match the Sacramento Kings' $14 million-a-year proposal to free-agent forward Andre Iguodala, Iguodala's reluctance to immediately accept the four-year, $56 million offer caused the Kings to withdraw the deal late Tuesday, league sources told Yahoo! Sports. With no major offers elsewhere, Iguodala could return to talks with the Nuggets on a five-year contract extension. Denver wants to keep Iguodala as part of its core, but has shown restraint in formulating potentially salary-cap crippling offers to re-sign him to a long-term deal, sources said. Yahoo

The Memphis Grizzlies have re-signed Tony Allen to a four-year contract worth $20 million

• Advertisement

As an Indiana Pacers fan I'm delighted that David West has agreed to a three-year contract with Indiana on the second day of free agency, The deal is reportedly worth $36 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Brad Stevens, previously of the Butler Bulldogs, is the new Celtics coach.

killwill wrote: »

Wow, that's outta left-field! Good coach but that's a big jump. Jay Larranaga must be pissed.

Wow, that's outta left-field! Good coach but that's a big jump. Jay Larranaga must be pissed.

Huge stepup and with all the changes to the roster i fear too much of a stepup.

I thought Larranaga had the job.

Huge stepup and with all the changes to the roster i fear too much of a stepup.

I thought Larranaga had the job.

So did everyone. Adds fuel to the tanking talk - throw in a very young coach with zero NBA experience to a team where a meglomaniac like Rondo is going to run the team on court with very little talent around him and next year will be ahem.....interesting. I say all of this as a C's fan!!!

Just looking at his Wikipedia page, I think it's a great hire for where they are. Talented young coach, you couldn't put him in charge of a contending team with his lack of pro experience, but he can learn that over the next couple of years, when it doesn't matter if they win or not. In two or three years time, you could have a great young coach who's now got experience. If it doesn't work out, you haven't really lost anything.

padraig_f wrote: »
    Just looking at his Wikipedia page, I think it's a great hire for where they are. Talented young coach, you couldn't put him in charge of a contending team with his lack of pro experience, but he can learn that over the next couple of years, when it doesn't matter if they win or not. In two or three years time, you could have a great young coach who's now got experience. If it doesn't work out, you haven't really lost anything.

That wont happen with Rondo on the roster. If they can trade Rondo there may be hope.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

As an Indiana Pacers fan I'm delighted that David West has agreed to a three-year contract with Indiana on the second day of free agency, The deal is reportedly worth $36 million.

Ok

Celtics need to tank next season anyway so they were always going to go with a no name sacrificial lamb

• Advertisement

That wont happen with Rondo on the roster. If they can trade Rondo there may be hope.

I'd probably try and trade Rondo, not sure he's the right personality to lead a group of young guys (I dunno, he might surprise you) But certainly if he's undermining the coach, you'd need to get rid of him. I think you'd always get takers for him in a year's time.

I just like the hire because in the NBA, you have to gamble if you're not a top 5 or 6 team, you go for the jackpot or bust. The worst thing the Celtics could've done was hire a competent-but-not-great coach, like say Scott Skiles. Not good enough to get them to the top, not bad enough to put them into the lottery. They should go for someone who'll either be brilliant or a disaster. By going for a hotshot college coach with no NBA experience, that's what they're likely to get.

Advertisement