Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Offseason Thread 2013-2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Josh Smith is gone to the Pistons. Rockets said they never discussed sign and trade with Hawks or with Pistons either so looks like he's there to stay

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

stuba wrote: »
    Josh Smith is gone to the Pistons. Rockets said they never discussed sign and trade with Hawks or with Pistons either so looks like he's there to stay

Why would anyone want to go to Detroit for anything other than money? Daft move by Smith if he wants to win. Can't believe there weren't/aren't other teams interested in his talents so can only assume the Detroit offer is bonkers (too lazy to google it right now)?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Couple of deals just breaking.

Jarrett Jack to the Cavs, 4 year deal worth $25M.

Carl Landry to the Kings, 4 year deal worth $26M.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Why would anyone want to go to Detroit for anything other than money? Daft move by Smith if he wants to win. Can't believe there weren't/aren't other teams interested in his talents so can only assume the Detroit offer is bonkers (too lazy to google it right now)?

Detroit won't be too bad now going forward though. Maybe not next season but they are team with talented young players with great potential to improve

They will have a strong young front court who will only improve.

4260.png&w=350&h=2546585.png&w=350&h=2542411.png&w=350&h=254

14 million a year for 4 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Why is All Star Jrue Holiday playing in the Summer League?

Why is All Star Jrue Holiday playing in the Summer League?

A lot of players do. They play in this and/or other summer leagues. Part of it is to keep in optimum shape, part to work on various parts of their game (weaknesses etc.). Nothing unusual at all in this!

14 million a year for 4 years

Given the market value of other players in the league and in his position I can't believe that Smith could be the only team interested in him at that price. No matter how much the Pistons improve in the next few years can anyone seriously tell me they believe they will be contenders? Says a lot about Smith's lack of ambition. Jeez, even Atlanta are a LOT better than Detroit.

Given the market value of other players in the league and in his position I can't believe that Smith could be the only team interested in him at that price. No matter how much the Pistons improve in the next few years can anyone seriously tell me they believe they will be contenders? Says a lot about Smith's lack of ambition. Jeez, even Atlanta are a LOT better than Detroit.

Do you really rate Smith that much? I mean he takes a ridiculous amount of bad mid range jumpers. He's an excellent defender he falls down on offence especially in clutch situations. A change of teams could be just what he needs to improve his offensive game and the pressure is off in Detroit

I think Detroit could be contenders again in the near future. They added two high potential players in the draft. KCP and Peyton Siva to add to Knight and Stucky in the back court

Devin Harris to Dallas on a $9m, 3 year deal. Atlanta are now chasing Monta Ellis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Good man Kidd, first technical foul as head coach, in your first game of summer league haha

Do you really rate Smith that much? I mean he takes a ridiculous amount of bad mid range jumpers. He's an excellent defender he falls down on offence especially in clutch situations. A change of teams could be just what he needs to improve his offensive game and the pressure is off in Detroit

I think Detroit could be contenders again in the near future. They added two high potential players in the draft. KCP and Peyton Siva to add to Knight and Stucky in the back court

Yep, he's got serious game. He's often been cited as the best player in the NBA not to make an All Star Game, which says a lot about him - both positively and negatively. Positively in that he can play, negatively in that there's obviously an attitudinal issue if the coaches aren't selecting him. Totally agree on the 3 point thing, but he has serious career numbers (career averages of 15.3 points, 8.3 rebounds, 3.2 assists, 2.1 blocks and 1.3 steals) and an all round game at both ends of the court. He's been with a joke of a team in Atlanta and been poorly coached throughout his career. He needs a disciplinarian. Boston and Brooklyn have both talked about him in trades in the past but I remain genuinely shocked that there wasn't a long queue for him.

He took the first offer on the table from the first team he met too. Not exactly accomplished negotiating skills there. Why not at least have met the others? They may have offered more!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Good bit of business by my Cavs taking in Jarrett Jack and Earl Clark:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Good bit of business by my Cavs taking in Jarrett Jack and Earl Clark:)
    Jarrett "Better than John Wall" Jack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah only messing. Two really good role players to add to what is fast becoming a very exciting team

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Felexicon wrote: »
    Jarrett "Better than John Wall" Jack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah only messing. Two really good role players to add to what is fast becoming a very exciting team

Don't forget the great Greivis Vascuez

Felexicon wrote: »
    John Wall

Make it stop.....please....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭BQQ

Anyone think the Mavs will roll the dice with Bynum now they've missed out on DH?

Personally, I think they'd be better off tanking.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Don't know why anyone would chase Bynum as if he's a big name, he should get 6million a year max on a short contract until he proves he isn't broken beyond repair.

The big takeaway from free agency so far is how good golden state is going to be. They got iggy for essentially nothing but contract dumps.

Also some players really showing that money is more important then success for them. Josh smith and al Jefferson will have no success in Detroit or Charlotte in the immediate future.
    I have to say I like Charlotte in the future though . I think zeller will be better then everyone expects.

BQQ wrote: »
    Anyone think the Mavs will roll the dice with Bynum now they've missed out on DH?

Apparantly, the Cavs have stepped up their interest in getting Bynum for a year

The fact that Bynum won't work out (?!) for interested teams makes it a "no" for me. What an attitude!

But at his height and with his game, there will be interested parties so I guess he's just calling people's bluff.

If any team do sign him it should be on a pay for play basis; but knowing Bynum, he'd never agree to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Kings apparently close to signing Ellis, Sacremento when will you ever learn?

buyer95 wrote: »
    Kings apparently close to signing Ellis, Sacremento when will you ever learn?

Will take some coach to try and contain Boogie Cousins AND Monta Ellis on the same team. Craziest trade I think we'll see this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

BQQ wrote: »

Yeah I'd go for Bynum if they had the opportunity, taking a risk of course, but that's what they need to do.

I don't think the Mavs are ever going to tank. For one, Dirk/Carlisle would get nearly 40 wins no matter who you put them with (while organisations might tank, I don't believe players/coaches really do). And secondly, I don't think Cuban would do that to Nowitzki, when he has maybe 3 good years left in his career, to spend a year tanking for a draft pick that may bear fruit a couple of years later. I think Cuban appreciates what Nowitzki means to the franchise, that he's not just another player. For that reason, I think they're still doing everything they can to win now, despite being a good bit off the top.
    The fact that Bynum won't work out (?!) for interested teams makes it a "no" for me. What an attitude!

You'd need to get some kind of medical assurances though alright.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

MWP has been amnestied.

Poor guy had tweeted about a Lakers vs Rockets Western Conference Final earlier in the day and all :pac: Lakers will save around $30M.

The Los Angeles Lakers have agreed to terms with free agent center Chris Kaman on a one-year deal worth 3.2 million

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Warriors pick up Mareese Speights on a 3 year deal, pretty solid replacement for Landry. I really can't remember a better off season for the Warriors, they have a pretty serious team now, what a difference a change of ownership makes. I think they will be looking to push on from last season and will be a real threat if all are healthy. Can't wait to crush the Lakers next year :D

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    MWP has been amnestied.

Poor guy had tweeted about a Lakers vs Rockets Western Conference Final earlier in the day and all :pac: Lakers will save around $30M.

Wouldn't it be funny if he went back to Houston? :)

-- The Nuggets have agreed to separate sign-and-trade deals that will land them guard Randy Foye from the Utah Jazz and send Iguodala to the Golden State Warriors, a person familiar with the decision told The Associated Press on Monday.

The Warriors had planned to sign Iguodala to a four-year, $48 million deal as a free agent last week, sources told ESPN. Instead, the restructured deal will give Golden State more salary cap flexibility, deliver Denver a $9 million trade exception and help Utah build for the future with expiring contracts and draft picks.

-- Former NBA player Rasheed Wallace has agreed to a two-year deal to join the Detroit Pistons' coaching staff and was on the bench Monday during the team's summer league game against the Boston Celtics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Have to say I didn't see Sheed going down the coaching route. Seems far too hot headed for such a role

• Advertisement

Atlanta and Milwaukee discussing trade for Teague and Jennings.

Cavs offer 2 year $24m deal to Andrew Bynum.

Advertisement