Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Offseason Thread 2013-2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Atlanta and Milwaukee discussing trade for Teague and Jennings.

Cavs offer 2 year $24m deal to Andrew Bynum.
    I would take Jennings any day. So much potential there.
    If Bynum can stay healthy he could be great for the Cavs. Him and KI playing the pick and roll would be awesome

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

All Jefferson officially becomes a Charlotte Bobcat

BO1OvZ5CQAUk3Jv.jpg:large
    BO1XFzKCYAAypU8.jpg:large

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Bynum signing with Cleveland.

Only 50% of 12m salary guaranteed for year one, with team option for year two. That's good business right there. If they can get him fit, and add a decent SF (they're in talks with Andrei Kirilenko, but I suspect he'll head back to Russia), that's a solid squad there.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1655592-andrew-bynum-to-cavaliers-cleveland-reportedly-signs-star-center-to-2-year-deal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Bynum signing with Cleveland.

Only 50% of 12m salary guaranteed for year one, with team option for year two. That's good business right there. If they can get him fit, and add a decent SF (they're in talks with Andrei Kirilenko, but I suspect he'll head back to Russia), that's a solid squad there.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1655592-andrew-bynum-to-cavaliers-cleveland-reportedly-signs-star-center-to-2-year-deal
    I think with Dwight going the Lakers should have gone after Bynum with a similar offer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Look we all know Bynum can play when healthy, but the fact that he refused to work out for teams scares the beejayzuz out of me. This is the guy who's had invasisve surgeries on both knees before the age of 25 - knees expected to support at least 20 stone and a 7 foot frame. and he cost the 76ers $16m for 0 minutes, 0 points and 0 rebounds last year. Shows how much money there is in the NBA where $12m isn't even considered a big risk.

And that's before we even talk of attitude. He was hated on the Lakers, no way were they taking him back. Kobe has been quoted as saying Bynum was "poisonous" to the team. And Kobe has clout in LA.

Shows how much money there is in the NBA where $12m isn't even considered a big risk.

If he doesn't play, Cleveland are only on the hook for 6m and can show him the door next June.

If he doesn't play, Cleveland are only on the hook for 6m and can show him the door next June.

Wonder what odds Paddy Power will give me for Andrew Bynum playing 1 minute next year?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Sounds like there's still major doubts about his health, the Mavs didn't make an offer, and his best offer from Cleveland only has $6m guaranteed. Think it's a reasonable risk for them, hopefully for them it doesn't cause any locker room problems. Noticed this in Wojnarowski's article:
    Doubts about the aggressiveness of Bynum's effort in rehabilitating his knee injuries since missing the season have caused some teams to fully back away from making any offer to him, league sources said.

And didn't he reinjure himself bowling? Still the Cavs have an out in 1 year if it doesn't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

I'd imagine the Cavs won't try to resign Bynum do they can make a run ay the 2014 free agents. This year will be about pushing for the 8th seed so they can get some playoff experience for kyrie etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Apparently he hasn't played around with a ball in a long time and has put on a fair bit of weight. This really is a massive gamble by the cavs.

Apparently he hasn't played around with a ball in a long time and has put on a fair bit of weight. This really is a massive gamble by the cavs.

He has put on weight no doubt but preseason and diet will sort that out "fairly lively". They showed a clip of him doing basic drills on Around the Horn this morning and whilst he didn't look like a complete lard ass, he is definitely carrying timber.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Following bledsoes introductory pressed in Phoenix. I don think its possible for him to be any less interested in being there!

Following bledsoes introductory pressed in Phoenix. I don think its possible for him to be any less interested in being there!

Must be nothing worse for a talented player to go to a crap team that you have zero interest in playing for. Still, Phoenix is lovely......really nice place to live apparently!

AK47 signed for the Nets. At 3.1m per season that's good business.

I'm going to start a Metta World Peace to Cleveland rumour, it's just crazy enough to work...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Must be nothing worse for a talented player to go to a crap team that you have zero interest in playing for. Still, Phoenix is lovely......really nice place to live apparently!

...if you're 85.

leggo wrote: »
    ...if you're 85.

That's kinda what I was getting at! You left out the "and rich and white and like golf" though!

I'm going to start a Metta World Peace to Cleveland rumour, it's just crazy enough to work...

Really good deal for a seriously under-rated player. Will help on both ends of the court, is very smart, gives height, distance shooting and a team first philosophy too. Brooklyn are stacked for next year, but they really only have one shot. A huge potential front line with Lopez, KG and AK 47 on court at one time, would be interesting to see that. Depends on who they get though. I think it's almost a cert they'll be seeded higher/win more games than the Knicks now.

leggo wrote: »
    ...if you're 85.

And like dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

He made his priorities clear, win now, by opting out of 10 million this year with Minnesota. He's earning 7 million less, but will be an integral piece for the nets next year. KG has said he can only play 25 mins a game during the season, so AK47 will have a big role to play. He's just a great "glue guy" who can do everything, and should be a big help to the nets being contenders next year. As a Knick, and having just made a questionable acquisition in Bargnani(no defense, terrible rebounding) I'm worried about who will reign supreme in NYC next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Most of ye probably already know, but Monta Ellis has signed a 3 year deal with the Mavs, rumoured to be worth in the region of 25-30 million over the 3 years. The Mavs need scoring so the acquisition makes sense, and a Calderon Ellis backcourt doesn't seem terrible. Around the league he is almost universally considered a black hole guy by the analytics gurus... He is terrible inefficient and plays below par defense, add to that shooting 28% from 3 last year and the argument could be made that this is a poor move by Dallas. However he is a great athlete, who can get to the ring at will, but settles far too often for the lazy jump shot. Personally I thought it would have been more beneficial to the Mavs to stink for a year and try and get one of the outstanding players in next years draft. Maybe Dirk put pressure on Cuban to make a move after missing out for the 2nd year in a row on the big free agents... What's ye're take lads?

buyer95 wrote: »
    Most of ye probably already know, but Monta Ellis has signed a 3 year deal with the Mavs, rumoured to be worth in the region of 25-30 million over the 3 years. The Mavs need scoring so the acquisition makes sense, and a Calderon Ellis backcourt doesn't seem terrible. Around the league he is almost universally considered a black hole guy by the analytics gurus... He is terrible inefficient and plays below par defense, add to that shooting 28% from 3 last year and the argument could be made that this is a poor move by Dallas. However he is a great athlete, who can get to the ring at will, but settles far too often for the lazy jump shot. Personally I thought it would have been more beneficial to the Mavs to stink for a year and try and get one of the outstanding players in next years draft. Maybe Dirk put pressure on Cuban to make a move after missing out for the 2nd year in a row on the big free agents... What's ye're take lads?

Surprised they spent that much on him, but maybe Carlisle can get something more out of him. A large part of his inefficient shooting is probably his shot-selection, I don't think it's really a lack of talent, so if you can improve the shot-selection (which the Mavs are well-coached at), he could justify his contract.

Seems like there was a bit of a run on shooters in free-agency this year, I'm glad the Bulls acted quickly and got Mike Dunleavy (we discussed his flaws, but good value for $3m/year). A team who really failed to act here is the Thunder. They let Kevin Martin go as well, leaves them a bit thin in outside shooting, which is so important these days.

I'm so bored, I'm probably gonna watch the Summer League tonight. Bulls draftees from this year and last will be in action (Marquis Teague, Tony Snell, Erik Murphy), and also two brothers of famous players: Carlos Boozer's brother Charles (!), and Tony Allen's brother Ryan.

Vegas Summer League 2013: Schedule, roster for Bulls taking shape

Sat 13th - Chicago vs. Memphis
    Mon 15th - Chicago vs. Denver
    Tue 16th - Chicago vs. Portland

Boston looking to trade Wallace and Kris Humpdashian. Not surprised given their contracts; plus has the added bonus of freeing cap space for next year Free Agency class, never mind rookie crop.

I assume they'd even take draft picks considering who's available next year (FA) so looks like a relatively smart and money-saving exercise. But it will be a long year for C's fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Boston looking to trade Wallace and Kris Humpdashian. Not surprised given their contracts; plus has the added bonus of freeing cap space for next year Free Agency class, never mind rookie crop.

I assume they'd even take draft picks considering who's available next year (FA) so looks like a relatively smart and money-saving exercise. But it will be a long year for C's fans.

No one's going to give up a pick in next years draft for either of those contracts, though. I'd be surprised if they can find any takers for Wallace, they're likely stuck with it. Especially considering he's pretty much done as a player.

moneyman wrote: »
    No one's going to give up a pick in next years draft for either of those contracts, though. I'd be surprised if they can find any takers for Wallace, they're likely stuck with it. Especially considering he's pretty much done as a player.

Sorry, didn't mean next year per se, maybe a year or two down the line after next year - sorry if that wasn't clear.

Wallace will find a team - someone will take him for his "energy" etc. even despite his contract. Humphries is lucky he's got one year left on his contract, otherwise I can't exactly imagine teams queueing up for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I know they keep denying it, but I wouldnt be at all surprised to see Wallace packaged with Rondo to go somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Missed the discussion on Bynum last week, but I think that's a very, very good pick up from Cleveland.

Only $6m guaranteed in year one and with the other half dependent on fitness, I'm sure the Cavs would be more than happy to end up paying the other half, before deciding if they want to go with him again next year due to having the team option in year two.

It's easy to forget that a couple of seasons ago he was an all-star that was probably only behind Howard in terms of centers in the league, averaging 18.7/11.8/1.9. He's also still only 25!

For a rental, try out fee of $6m you can't really go too wrong. At worst you lose $6m which is pocket change in today's game, at best you have an all-star caliber center.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Metta World Peace wants to play for the New York Knicks, according to a person close to the veteran small forward.

World Peace cleared waivers late Sunday afternoon, making him an unrestricted free agent. A source told ESPN.com's Brian Windhorst that the Knicks, who can offer him part of their taxpayer mid-level exception (roughly $1.7 million), already have reached out to the former Los Angeles Laker.

While the Knicks are World Peace's first choice, he is also holding onto the Los Angeles Clippers and China's Shanghai Sharks as possible teams to join next season.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Dennis schröder very impressive in summer league today, Could be a solid PG for Atlanta in the NBA

Advertisement