Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Offseason Thread 2013-2014

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

It's official from MWP himself live at the summer league on NBA TV. He's a NY Knick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

According to ESPN capologist Nick Silva, Knicks signing of Metta World Peace will cost about $4M in tax plus $1.59M in salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Is the MLE not exempt the luxury tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

stuchyg wrote: »
    Is the MLE not exempt the luxury tax?

No, there are restrictions, if you're a tax-payer, you have a smaller MLE to work with, about $3m (aka MMLE), non tax-payer MLE is around $5m.

But you do pay tax on it. The worst case was the Nets signing Kirilenko to a $3m contract using the MMLE, because they're so deep in the tax, he will actually cost them $16.7m/year!

Andrei Kirilenko joins the Brooklyn Nets, who will pay $186 million for their roster next season

That's no problem for Brooklyn though. They have the money

• Advertisement

That's no problem for Brooklyn though. They have the money

Ah yeah. I just think when they made those luxury tax rules, they never thought anyone would pay them to that extent (and it would serve effectively as a hard cap), but Prokhorov is anyway, so interesting to see how it works out.

Also an interesting one from a talent vs. coaching perspective: $186m/year on players, and a coach who's never coached an NBA game in his life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Tweet from Kevin Pritchard (pagers gm)
    Kevin Pritchard ‏@PacersKev 2h
    Apple gives me no credit - "Siri - call Larry Bird" Siri response - "Yea right"

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Knicks and Nuggets chasing Nate Robinson as Chicago unlikely to re-sign as Rose is healthy.

Jordan Farmar to return from Turkey to play with the Lakers again. Farmar opting out of his 3 year, 10+million deal with Efes to sign a veterans minimum contract with LAL. Mustn't like Turkey then!

Knicks guard J.R. Smith has had patella tendon surgery and arthroscopy on his left knee that likely will keep him from joining the Knicks when they open training camp in late September.

The team said Smith will need 12-16 weeks to recover from the operation performed Monday by Dr. Answorth Allen at the Hospital for Special Surgery. The team said the injuries were chronic, with the arthroscopy repairing a tear in the lateral meniscus.

Smith, who won the Sixth Man of the Year award, helped shoot the Knicks into the playoffs before struggling in the postseason. The New Jersey product worked out a deal to stay with the Knicks that will pay him about $25 million over four years.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Knicks and Nuggets chasing Nate Robinson as Chicago unlikely to re-sign as Rose is healthy.

Jordan Farmar to return from Turkey to play with the Lakers again. Farmar opting out of his 3 year, 10+million deal with Efes to sign a veterans minimum contract with LAL. Mustn't like Turkey then!

Lil Nate wants a return to NY given his tweets a month or so ago. Would love to see it happen.

• Advertisement

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Lil Nate wants a return to NY given his tweets a month or so ago. Would love to see it happen.

If he could play at his playoff level and intensity consistently he'd be a great asset.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

One of my favourite players in the league. Pound for pound there's no one tougher and when he's on it he's a joy to watch. He's inconsistent, sure, but he has sixth man of the year potential.

It's a pity he most likely wont be back in Chicago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Heat amnesty Miller. Im very surprised with that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Saving themselves 16 million in luxury tax

killwill wrote: »
    Heat amnesty Miller. Im very surprised with that tbh.

I am and I amn't. He delivered in a couple of play off games over the last 2 years but the regular seasons were a bit of a disappointment. Miller will get the $12m+ he's owed and the Heat save $30m in potential luxury tax payments. His production seemed to be going downward over the last few years though IMO for whatever reason. I thought he was a big, big signing for them as a role player when he joined, but he never really lit it up consistently there. He'll still find a team though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

I remember reading he has chronic back pain and cant play big minutes consistently as a result.
    Anyone any update on Rondo? Is he staying or going? Not sure if it can be pulled off but I fancy the Lakers to try pick him up...

I remember reading he has chronic back pain and cant play big minutes consistently as a result.
    Anyone any update on Rondo? Is he staying or going? Not sure if it can be pulled off but I fancy the Lakers to try pick him up...

Rondo is most likely going to be traded, He said this week he would never play for the Miami Heat, The Latest rumor has been Detroit in a proposed trade for Brandon Knight but Dumars had denied talks

The Latest rumor has been Detroit in a proposed trade for Brandon Knight but Dumars had denied talks

I'd rather trade for Michael Knight and KITT. Seriously, he's the one talent left. If they trade him, they better get something decent back.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Yup, back injuries certainly halted his career to a degree. I remember reading two seasons ago the guy couldn't stand up straight. Yet there he was in the closing game against OKC in the Finals knocking down 3's for fun. He was quite consistent in the Playoffs, and unless his health is the main reason for letting him go, those Playoff performances outweighed the negative of him being fairly indifferent during the regular season.

Charlotte officially put in a request to change name back to the Charlotte Hornets from the 2014-15 season onwards

• Advertisement

Charlotte officially put in a request to change name back to the Charlotte Hornets from the 2014-15 season onwards

The decision is to be made right now at a meeting in Las Vegas. It should pass no problem. New Commissioner Adam Silver is a supporter of the name change

Confirmed.

1193932_jumbo_shot.jpg

Brookly Nets present new stars

Nets_Presser_NSB288.jpg
    Nets_Presser_NSB190.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

I've long suspected he was inhuman, but if Kobe suits up on opening night, I think I will have a heart attack. http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/22813713/lakers-owner-jim-buss-says-kobe-bryant-to-return-in-preseason-game

buyer95 wrote: »
    I've long suspected he was inhuman, but if Kobe suits up on opening night, I think I will have a heart attack. http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/22813713/lakers-owner-jim-buss-says-kobe-bryant-to-return-in-preseason-game

Pretty amazing if he does this, but you'd have to question the logic behind it. He'd be better off resting for as long as possible (a la Mr. Rose) or even skipping next year completely given how poor LAL will be. That kind of injury needs rest to minimise the chances or it re-occurring, not an 82 game NBA season.

Brookly Nets present new stars

Nets_Presser_NSB288.jpg
    Nets_Presser_NSB190.jpg

I know I'm getting old when pretty much my first reaction to these photos was how nicely tailored KG's suit was. :)

Bynum to the Cavs now official

bynum-640.jpg

Anthony Bennett probably won't start for the Cavs

Bynum
    Varejão
    Clark

----Waiters----Irving

Check out this podcast: Bulls Beat #285 - Summer League

Skip to 8 mins in for an interesting take on the Kirilenko signing. I'd heard this before, and didn't take much notice of it, but Thonus puts it in stronger terms.

I looked it up, and he's right. Kirilenko had a $10m player option next year with the Timberwolves, opted out, and signed for $3m/year for 3 years with the Nets! Really fishy stuff.

Wojnarowski has written about it as well, surprised there isn't being more made of it:
    Brooklyn Nets' deal with Andrei Kirilenko raises suspicions from NBA rivals

• Advertisement

padraig_f wrote: »
    Check out this podcast: Bulls Beat #285 - Summer League

Skip to 8 mins in for an interesting take on the Kirilenko signing. I'd heard this before, and didn't take much notice of it, but Thonus puts it in stronger terms.

I looked it up, and he's right. Kirilenko had a $10m player option next year with the Timberwolves, opted out, and signed for $3m/year for 3 years with the Nets! Really fishy stuff.

Wojnarowski has written about it as well, surprised there isn't being more made of it:
    Brooklyn Nets' deal with Andrei Kirilenko raises suspicions from NBA rivals

There was quite a fuss about it this week in all the usual media, it's fishy as hell, but impossible to prove.

Advertisement