Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for a Hopeful Novice

Options
  • 22-06-2013 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hey all,

I've smoked for little under ten years and just pretty much stumbled across this forum a week ago. Been doing a lot of reading, and would love to get myself a starter kit to hopefully end up off the stinkin' fags altogether.

I'm thinking of ordering the Kanger Twist starter kit, with the T2. I like the fact that I can get five free samples from the site as well. I was just wondering, what else should I order at the same time (or very shortly after) to make sure I don't sabotage myself after I begin. I'm sick of smoking, and switching to vaping (both financially and health-wise) would be a dream come true.

Also, am I making the right choice for a starter kit or are there better out there for around the same price? ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

The only thing I'd think about is throwing a couple of Boge LR cartomisers in there too. Soak them well before use or use the condom method to do the initial fill though. Some people love clearo's like the T2 etc but I could NEVER get them to vape right or they'd leak or burn or taste crap etc.

As I said, some people swear by them though so I'm kind of the odd man out really. For the sake of a couple of euro though I'd recommend giving cartos a try if nothing else.

Make sue you get some 18mg juice too. Any lower probably won't be enough if you're just starting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Eff Four

Cheers for the advice - the Boge cartos are cheap, so will definitely throw in a few when I order on Monday. I smoke 20 silk cut a day on average at the moment, so would 18mg be grand do you think or will I end up chewing my nails off cold turkey style? (sorry for that wonderful visual :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I used smoke 20 (and sometimes 20+) silk cut blue a day, and I found 12mg was enough for me to start with, and I started adding 0mg liquid to it within a few weeks. If you're getting a few samples, how about getting some 12mg and some 18mg? Maybe start with the 12, and you have the 18 to fall back to?

If you google "e cig liquid nicotine levels", there are a few sites that give you guides to compare strength of cigarettes to strength of liquid.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

18mg is definitly the minimum for someone just coming off the smoke. If you're getting the T2 get some low ohm heads as well, the ones that come with it are 2.2ohm, and it's just too high.

Also, trim the wicks of your T2 heads, long wicks mean you need more juice to keep them saturated. Just make sure to give it a wee tip every now and then to keep the short weeks wet.

Also, pick up some el toro cigarillos, it was the only juice to keep me off the fags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Hard to know to be honest. It's a pretty good starting point anyway.

Make sure the Boges are LR and set the Twist around 3.8-4 volts. The other Boges are SR and would need around 5-6 volts to get any good of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

Does the t2 drip tip fit the cartos? If not, pick up a cheap drip tip, and maybe a cone cover.

T2 mouthpiece isn't a normal mouthpiece, it's a special type that screws off to fill the liquid.

Yep, so you need a drip tip, and they dont sell cone covers but you dont really need one.

Thanks a mill for all the advice.

Am I making the right choice going with the T2, with the Twist starter pack? I don't mind trimming the wicks down or whatever if it's worth using. I guess having the Boges will be good to fall back on if the T2 doesn't cut it. There's the option of getting an E-VOD or T3 with the kit, too - from what I read though the T2 seemed like the most popular choice.

I smoke silk cut purple, so I'm going to get a couple 18mg and a couple 12mg in the sample pack. Any recommendations on the nicer juices from Wingnuts?

All the wingnuts juices are quite tasty, you can't really go wrong. If you want to see more info about one of the juices, just check the liquid review thread on here.

Again, when I gave up smokes, I still yearned for that dirty tobacco taste, I know they only sell large bottles now, but you should consider some el toro!

Regarding your choice of atomizer, I'm currently using a t3s, but I don't find it anywhere near as good as a T2. The t3s feels more reliable and well built, but it really lacks the warmth that you get from a normal cig and the T2 is much closer to this then any of its successors. Get the T2, the atomizers are only a fiver if you want to try another down the road.

• Advertisement

jamie72 wrote: »
    All the wingnuts juices are quite tasty, you can't really go wrong. If you want to see more info about one of the juices, just check the liquid review thread on here.

Again, when I gave up smokes, I still yearned for that dirty tobacco taste, I know they only sell large bottles now, but you should consider some el toro!

Regarding your choice of atomizer, I'm currently using a t3s, but I don't find it anywhere near as good as a T2. The t3s feels more reliable and well built, but it really lacks the warmth that you get from a normal cig and the T2 is much closer to this then any of its successors. Get the T2, the atomizers are only a fiver if you want to try another down the road.

Great stuff, thanks! Will definitely order a bottle of the el toro and give it a go. I'll stick with the T2 so, throw in the sample pack, the el toro, a few cartos and drip tips, maybe another large bottle of juice too. What are the first things I should do when the starter kit arrives then? So far I've got I need to clean the few bits, trim the wicks, and let the juice steep. I'm not at all a mechanically-minded person, bit anxious I'll balls it up the first day :o

Pour your liquid of choice into the T2, screw on the battery, five clicks to turn it on. Give the liquid a minute or two to soak in. At the bottom there is a dial that sets the voltage, turn it down to the bottom (3.2v). You can raise it later if you find it lacking, but I wouldn't go too far above 4v on a T2 head or it'll just burn.

When charging the battery, sometimes it won't start charging if you just plug it in with the battery screwed to the charger. Plug the charger in, the light will go green on the charger, then screw the battery on and make sure the light goes red.

I can't think of anything else really. Oh, the T2 mouthpiece screws off to fill it with liquid, try and make sure no liquid goes down the centre as it clogs up the air hole, drip the liquid slowly down the side.

Thanks a mill for all your help. I'll pop on when everything arrives later on in the week. Really looking forward to it now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

Let us know how you get on Eff Four and if it works for you and you find it enjoyable please tell as many smokers as you can about vaping.

I used to smoke primarily when I was drinking and partying (as I had pretty much given up smoking otherwise) and have no replaced that with vaping. I MUCH prefer vaping, the taste, the smell, everything about it is better. Smoking is so last century.

Thanks Sticky, and yeah I've already been spreading the word amongst family and friends, warning them too just in case they get a bit of a shock when they see me vaping away in the near future! Unfortunately, I went to order everything ten mins ago on ESI and discovered they only accept Paypal. I suppose I shouldn't assume everywhere accepts Visa :confused:

Any advice on another decent site selling the Twist starter pack? Damn it, I was looking forward to that Wingnuts sample pack too hahah. Back to square one I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭redkid

Eff Four wrote: »
    Thanks Sticky, and yeah I've already been spreading the word amongst family and friends, warning them too just in case they get a bit of a shock when they see me vaping away in the near future! Unfortunately, I went to order everything ten mins ago on ESI and discovered they only accept Paypal. I suppose I shouldn't assume everywhere accepts Visa :confused:

Any advice on another decent site selling the Twist starter pack? Damn it, I was looking forward to that Wingnuts sample pack too hahah. Back to square one I go.

Would you not just set up a Paypal account and jus attach your card, it would only take two mins.

You can use your cc as a guest of paypal.

Hah, yeah nevermind. Just realised linking a CC to Paypal is a lot less a pain in the arse than a bank a/c. Haven't even looked at PP in years. All the gear ordered now. No lower ohm replacement heads available though so will have to make do with the ones supplied for a bit. One step closer to getting off the stinky fags I hope!

Got my parcel from ESI first thing this morning, great service, very promt. I ordered 2 x Nutjuice, Ecto Cool, RY -40 or other, and Gummie Bears. Have to say after reading this forum for a while I found it a lot less intimidating than I anticipated. I quickly learned to take slower, longer drags off it and am now sat her vaping away happilly on the Gummie Bears in front of the pc. Have had 5 fags today instead of 20 (I went out with my younger sisters and didn't fancy whipping the Twist out at the shopping centre just yet). Not feeling at all like I'm going into withdrawl. Fantastic!

My only regret is ordering two of the Nut Juice, against what seems to be popular opinion I don't like it at all...bit too nutty for me. The aftertaste had me a bit nauseous tbh. I think I'll be ordering some different juices next week to try out and a few replacement heads, but all in all one very happy lady at the mo :D

Different people have different opinions, but I wouldn't force yourself off the fags. I found I just eventually migrated over after a while. Glad to hear it worked out for you anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

jamie72 wrote: »
    Different people have different opinions, but I wouldn't force yourself off the fags. I found I just eventually migrated over after a while. Glad to hear it worked out for you anyway!

Exactly, i went straight from smoking to vaping but there's people who use the e-cig only in the evenings or others who use it once a day. Do what you think yourself and you'll be fine :)

Cheers for the advice guys, it wasn't really that I forced myself, moreso that I was at home most of the day with my son and I much prefer a cheeky vape in the kitchen than sneaking out the front for a fag ;)

I found I got an awful headrush from the 18mg Nut Juice, whether it's the flavour as well as the strength I don't know, but I definitely didn't feel like a cigarette for a good while! My plan is to just go with the flow, get some more juices, find ones I really like and could see myself using regularly. Even if I smoke half the amount I'm saving a fortune so to me there are no drawbacks.

I only have two of the T2 clearos at the mo, so I was wondering what's the best way to clean them out properly? I want to get the Nut Juice out of it and try another but I'm a bit confused how if I use boiling water a. I won't crack it and b. How do I make sure there's no water left in it before I fill it up? Sorry if these are silly questions, I just like the kit so I'd rather keep it working :D

The heads can need a bit of a soak in boiling water to get them cleaned out after a particularly strong juice, but the tank itself cleans out well by just running it under the tap, then dry it with some tissue.

Make sure you dry out the heads well (I leave them on a radiator wrapped in a bit of tissue), otherwise it'll be hard to get a vape from them.

Since you have spare heads (I presume the kit comes with some?) just rinse out the tank, dry, plop on a new head, then pour your new liquid in.

Pour a bit of boiling water from the kettle into a cup and place the nut-juice head in it for a while, then dry as I said earlier so you can use it in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

So much nut juice all over this thread.

grindle wrote: »
    So much nut juice all over this thread.

I'm ashamed to say I only got that pun now.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭DublinCJM

I started with the same kit eff four. I bought a few extra T2s as I thought they were great.

Since then I've got somes t3s, T3Ss, a T5, an evod and a protank!! Costs a couple of quid but I'm experimenting at the moment looking for the setup that works best for me. So far, the T3S and the protank are working really well and I'll probably get a few more of them and give my old T2s to a mate who's just starting out.

Like you, am still having a few smokes but am just taking my time with the vaping and have cut to about 5 or 6 a day from 25 or 26 so the outlay on new tanks is more than covered for now!

As for cleaning, I run heads and tanks under hot water to clean them, steep them overnight in a drop of vodka, and then let them dry out on the radiator in tissue for a day. That's why you need spares!!

Good luck!

Since you've tried both DublinCJM, did you not find the T3s lacking? I have a T3s here and I just find the vapour too 'cold'.

Not at all. But I've only been vaping el toro Virginia prime in it. I think it's brilliant so far. Have another one which I'm going to try something else in so will let you know.

Still have to try the VP in the protank too!!

Maybe I have a dud... all the reviews of it are pretty good, but I just find it lacking the heat from the T2 that makes the El Toro range more authentic.

• Advertisement

It's the only clearo I've put the VP in cos only just got both it and the juice last week. Am still on the same head and its vaping brilliantly.

However, that's all relative as I'm pretty much a novice. But great TH and loads of vape and I don't find it cold at all.

Advertisement