Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

credit union interest rate ???

Options
  • 23-06-2013 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

i just cant get my head around how it works with the credit union interest rate can anybody help. I know the interest rate on my loan is 10.56% and i think im right in saying the credit union interest rate is based on whats left on my loan. but i cannot get the figures to add up at all..

last few weeks payments are here. im ment to pay 70 per week i pay but i pay 80 per week
    week 1
    credit paid 55.25... int paid 24.75 ... loan bal 12,244.84
    week 2
    credit paid 55.14 ... int paid 24.86 ... loan bal 12,300.09
    week 3
    credit paid 55.03 ... int paid 24.97 ... loan bal 12,355.23
    week 4
    credit paid 54.92 ... int paid 25.08 ... loan bal 12,410.26
    wee 5 loan bal 12,465.18
    almost one third of my €80 payment is going to interest how do the 10.56% rate translate into the interest amount im paying?

any help would be great..
    also ive about 3 grand in my shares account can i draw this against my loan now to get the interest down rather than waiting till ive 3 grand left on my loan with a small interest amount and clear my loan? im paying about €100 per month in interest at the min so any small thing could save me quite a bit in the long run.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Interest is a % of your loan balance, not a % of what you are repaying.

The interest rate appears right(roughly €2 per week per thousand), but it looks to me that you are going in different times of the week. Interest is accrued daily, so it should be coming down a few cent every week instead of going up.

As to your 3k, no...you cant draw it down. You could apply to get it transfered to your loan, but I doubt they would allow it. It defeats one of the main principles of Credit Unions(members maintain their capital).

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mussha

my interest is reducing by about 11 cents a week. and the payment happens at same time every week as its a direct debit payment. im just trying to work out a formula for calculating my interest rate if you can help.

loan amount €12,300 with interest rate of 10.56%
    loan repayment of €80 results in €55.25 off loan and €24.75 towards interest rate.

how do you get €24.75 = 10.56% of €12,300

what i really want to do is make an excel spread sheet so i can see exactly how long left on my loan and if i increase my payment how much it will shorten the term of my loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

mussha wrote: »
    my interest is reducing by about 11 cents a week. and the payment happens at same time every week as its a direct debit payment. im just trying to work out a formula for calculating my interest rate if you can help.

loan amount €12,300 with interest rate of 10.56%
    loan repayment of €80 results in €55.25 off loan and €24.75 towards interest rate.

how do you get €24.75 = 10.56% of €12,300

what i really want to do is make an excel spread sheet so i can see exactly how long left on my loan and if i increase my payment how much it will shorten the term of my loan.

10.56% is the interest rate per year, not per week. This is an effective rate of about 0.2031% per week on the balance. So if the balance today is €12300 then the interest accrued in a week from today is €24.97 (0.2031% of €12300).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

You can make a another payment on top of you agreed repayment and this payment can be off the balance only.

The would reduce the interest calculated on the principle weekly.

That's all I know as I made a payment over the counter for a friend and those were the directions she gave me.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    You can make a another payment on top of you agreed repayment and this payment can be off the balance only.

The would reduce the interest calculated on the principle weekly.

That's all I know as I made a payment over the counter for a friend and those were the directions she gave me.

Is this true?

Does that mean that essentially when agreeing to a loan with the credit union you should (theoretically) agree to the minimum repayment amount possibly, and then over-pay (if you're in a position to do so?)

So essentially, if i agree a repayment of €10 per week, but pay €20, then €10 of that is going directly off the loan itself?

:confused:

Or have I just confused it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Is this true?

Does that mean that essentially when agreeing to a loan with the credit union you should (theoretically) agree to the minimum repayment amount possibly, and then over-pay (if you're in a position to do so?)

So essentially, if i agree a repayment of €10 per week, but pay €20, then €10 of that is going directly off the loan itself?

:confused:

Or have I just confused it all.

All payments go off the balance. Interest gets calculated and applied to the balance and this is the new balance. Then when you make a payment it goes off the current balance which includes interest.

This thing of breaking down a persons payment into interest and capital is nonsense. All the CU is going is noting that since last agreed payment €25 of interest has built up and your payment is effectively cleared this and the rest on balance and thus any further payments will eat into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

€12,244.84*10.56%(annual rate)/365.25(days in a year)*7(days between payments)=€24.78
    Seems legit

Once your weekly payment clears the interest everything else will reduce your loan balance outstanding.

If you are lucky enough to pay an extra €2000 next week your interest the following week would be €10,244.84*10.56%/365.25*7=€20.73 saving you approx €4 per week.

If you increase your payment by €5 per week you will reduce the remaining term of this loan significantly and save your self a bundle of interest. It could also give you a buffer if you needed to reduce you payment for a while at a later stage or take a week off for the hols.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mussha

thanks very much for the responces have been very helpful.

is it true to say then that if on any giving week i pay my interest of eg€25 i can clear my loan in a single payment of the balance of the loan with no extra intrest payments.

and it it true to say the commetted payment i have to the credit union when getting the loan has no bearing on the interest ammount?

i thought the interest was calculated my the loan ammount *ammount of weeks the cu has predicted it would take you to pay back at your committed ammount. this is untrue?

Advertisement