Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New car purchasing, cultural question?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

hechz wrote: »
    Is the logbook in question, the log of the vehicles ownership history?

I am pretty sad that cash, won't help. I didn't even think about the differences in how vehicles are financed. The parent company of a dealership in the States has a financing arm, in my case http://www.hondafinancialservices.com/ which does all of the loan and payment processing. I infer that here it is the buyers responsibility to secure any loan personally. That really does sap all the benefit from avoiding the loan process for the dealership. They get their money from the finance company when the principle has been paid in full. If I am interpreting it right, here the car is purchased just like milk at the grocery. Pay it in full and you have it, where the money comes from is your problem.

Dealers here are also more than happy to arrange finance for you. It's the same as the states - your savings/cash, dealer arranged finance or finance you arrange through your own bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

I've got to say, I wouldn't want to do business with someone that is gonna scam on the taxes to the government. I wouldn't know if they are scamming me too.

Me neither, if they're dishonest with the tax man, who's to say they won't be dishonest with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 hechz

That is great, then... unless as it is back home, you can get a much better interest rate from your bank if you have good history. Too bad I have no credit history here yet. That's why I'll put quite a bit down, should make securing financing for the remainder easier.

Thank you so much for all of the good info, even the conflicting bits!

Good to see people with a bit of the old Internet culture still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

valerossi wrote: »
    EXACTLY!:D
    That doesn't happen with new cars. You think Revenue are stupid? "Oh look, you sold a brand new 520d for €25,000.... I'll see how you explain that in court!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

That is great, then... unless as it is back home, you can get a much better interest rate from your bank if you have good history. Too bad I have no credit history here yet. That's why I'll put quite a bit down, should make securing financing for the remainder easier.
    Not here these days. The banks here are f**ked, and aren't lending as frequently as they'd like us to believe. Interest rates are high these days. That's why many dealers are doing finance deals that are better than the banks.
    Welcome to Ireland in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭valerossi

AltAccount wrote: »
    You specifically mentioned VAT, that's what I responded to.

You can print off an RF100 as soon as the car is registered. It includes instructions how to tax online. Your password will be the last 6 digits of your chassis number.

I can't comment on whether a faker is dishonest or a tax dodger, nor shall I comment on whether you should be complicit in it.
    I still contend that cash gives no additional purchasing power, and if you're talking about tax dodging, I don't know how much the dealer will save in tax versus the financial commission available if they put you into an honest and legitimate finance deal.[/QUOTE

I paid 98,000 last Year in tax as i am self employed i get very little in return. no safety net if i lost everything tomorrow who would feed my family, pay my bill as i will never be entitled to social welfare. If i want to skim off the top let me the state takes more that enough off me!

I ended up in very similar circumstance in the states. I've got the IRS on my tail for a large bill, paid into social security for years and will never see a dime of it. That and the bubble bursting taking all my savings... as y'all say, "feck 'em all"

Advertisement