Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert History RSR

• 23-06-2013 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'll be writing my RSR for History soon, and I was thinking about whether or not to choose the subject of Elizabeth Báthory (who was a serial killer). I'm not sure if I should write about her because of the whole 'murdering hundreds' thing, but I find her very interesting.
    Here's a brief history about her:

Elizabeth Báthory is one of the most prolific serial killers in all of history.

She was born into nobility and was highly educated but also very vain.

One day, infuriated, Elizabeth struck one of her servant girls so hard that some blood dripped from her face onto Elizabeth’s hand and she immediately thought that her skin took on a glowing freshness of her young maid.

Elizabeth believed she had found the secret of eternal youth. After this, women were abducted and hung upside down, while they were still alive and their throats were slit to prepare Elizabeth’s bath.

The Countess of Transylvania and four collaborators were accused of torturing and killing hundreds of girls, with one witness attributing to them over 650 victims, though the number for which they were convicted was 80. Elizabeth herself was neither tried nor convicted.

So, should I write about her?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

TheIrony wrote: »
    I'll be writing my RSR for History soon, and I was thinking about whether or not to choose the subject of Elizabeth Báthory (who was a serial killer). I'm not sure if I should write about her because of the whole 'murdering hundreds' thing, but I find her very interesting.
    Here's a brief history about her:

Elizabeth Báthory is one of the most prolific serial killers in all of history.

She was born into nobility and was highly educated but also very vain.

One day, infuriated, Elizabeth struck one of her servant girls so hard that some blood dripped from her face onto Elizabeth’s hand and she immediately thought that her skin took on a glowing freshness of her young maid.

Elizabeth believed she had found the secret of eternal youth. After this, women were abducted and hung upside down, while they were still alive and their throats were slit to prepare Elizabeth’s bath.

The Countess of Transylvania and four collaborators were accused of torturing and killing hundreds of girls, with one witness attributing to them over 650 victims, though the number for which they were convicted was 80. Elizabeth herself was neither tried nor convicted.

So, should I write about her?

Go for it if you find her interesting. :) I did one on Vlad the Impaler who was even more gory and my teacher said examiners find different essays like that interesting compared to the sort of stuff which comes up over and over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The only problem with such a topic would be sorting out the facts from the myths that have proliferated about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Goong125

You also have to make sure the information that you're using is unbiased and that the sources are reliable.... but other then that it's a good topic :)
    The Examiners must get so bored of reading the same old topics,so your topic could catch their attention. Also,the more often a topic has been done,the harder the examiner would mark it.
    -Hope I helped :)

Advertisement