Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From serious couch potato to Olympian !

Options
  • 23-06-2013 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

I've decided it's high time I start whipping my ass into sorry shape. At 20 I'm as fit as someone quadruple my age and about as active as a sloth, I'm also as lazy if not more than one too. I really don't know anything about fitness other than it's a vehicle that allows you to lose weight combined with a caloric deficit so any tips/advice etc would be more than appreciated. My goal is to lose 1st and to tone up and improve my overall fitness.

Now as I already said I'm incredibly lazy/unmotivated/bored easily so I'm desperately searching for fun ways to exercise without my brain realising it. As such I started Tag rugby but really need to find more ways especially after my dismal attempt at going for a jog today.

Day one:

Jog 5 mins
    Walk 10 mins
    Jog 3 mins
    Walk 5 mins

Result : Epic fail ! But at least it's a start :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Monday had Tag rugby training for 1.5 hours, lots of running around etc. so just took it easy after as I strained my hamstring over the weekend.

Tuesday finally made it to the gym and did a proper session (well as proper as someone who has no clue what they're really doing can!) Spent 20 mins on the treadmill running for 2 mins and walking for 2 mins following roughly the couch to 5k running plan. Found having even a rough guide written down really helped instead of the usual jumping on the machine and saying to myself ,"Ok we'll do this for 10 mins"but then get bored/tired and change it to 5 mins half way through.

20 mins Bike

5 Mins Stairmaster thing for fun

10 mins crosstrainer (this thing is my nemesis I mean I REALLY hate it so I'm chuffed I stuck out the full 10 mins)

5 more mins running

Home !!

Goal now is to continue with the couch to 5k and learn how to do things like squats , lunges and some light weights correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

No sure if this the done thing here but are you sure you're pushing yourself when your alone . I mean you can play tag for an hour and a half but could only manage 8 minutes of a jog ?

No sure if this the done thing here but are you sure you're pushing yourself when you're alone . I mean you can play tag for an hour and a half but could only manage 8 minutes of a jog ?

I'm definitely not but I've had issues before where I started off going full blast for a week or two and then just getting burnt out pretty soon and giving up. So I've figured since I plan to be in this for the long haul that I'd start off fairly easy , enjoy exercising (as opposed to watching tv all day) and then step up the pace in two weeks or so. However having said that 8 mins of a jog is pathetic still !!

Tag rugby match yesterday , was loads available to play so only got about 10 mins game time with 2/3 good sprints.

Spinning class this morning , first time ever trying it and it was really fun !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Really recommend booking in with a trainer at your gym.
    Most should be able to get you on a program without you having to pay anything.

While doing what your doing at the moment is better than doing nothing, you would see a lot more gain by working around a well designed plan.

What exactly are your goals? Want to look better? Run faster for further? Make yourself harder to kill from zombie hoards?

Also, key to all of this is getting the diet correct too (something which I find the hardest to do.)

Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

shoutman wrote: »
    Really recommend booking in with a trainer at your gym.
    Most should be able to get you on a program without you having to pay anything.

While doing what you're doing at the moment is better than doing nothing, you would see a lot more gain by working around a well designed plan.

What exactly are your goals? Want to look better? Run faster for further? Make yourself harder to kill from zombie hoards?

Also, key to all of this is getting the diet correct too (something which I find the hardest to do.)

Best of luck with it.

Gym doesn't seem to have any trainers at all with the exception of advertisements for this guy to to personal training with (which I definitely don't have the money for ! ). I could be wrong (its sportslink in santry btw) but I've never seen anyone around that could remotely be a trainer of some sort like you see in other gyms with the exception of the people who teach the classes like spin , trx , yoga etc.

I completely get what you mean , I saw that myself actually the days I went in and followed the couch to 5k running plan. Even just that little bit of structure I found made a massive difference to the effort I put in and what I got out of it. As opposed to falling aimlessly around like usual. I've been looking around on the internet and in books etc to see if I could come up with some sort of idea but haven't had much luck especially since I need to start with the basics.

I've been using myfitnesspal for the diet side of things. I've found creating the calorie deficit easy enough. The hardest thing is trying to eat cleaner and getting the right amount of proteins:carbs:fats along with vitamin/mineral intake.

Overall I'd like to lose weight ( I'm 66.6kg now and I'd like to be between 56kg-58kg) be more toned/lean particularly my arms , ass and abs and improve my core strength and fitness and of course defeat the impending zombie apocalypse ;)

Have been fairly under the weather with a nasty cold the past couple of days so it been lots of strolls along the beach and not much else. Played Tag rugby on monday albeit only for 30 mins with lots of standing aimlessly round the wings watching the game I was supposed to participating in.

Felt a bit better today so had a go at TRX for the first time. Really enjoyed it, despite the straps kept twisting themselves up but felt I could have gotten much more out of it if the instructor had been a bit better.

More of the same Spinning Weds (sister threw up twice during the class 'cos she couldn't hack it which turned the horrible pain in my legs into something hilarious!! )

Tag Thursday same old same old cept WE WON!! :D

Trx yesterday , different instructor , seriously feeling it today !! Also went for a 15 min jog on the treadmill afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 15 abaragry1

Are you still keeping the exercise going, and if so, did you notice results?

Advertisement