Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No promotion prospects

Options
  • 23-06-2013 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I was unsuccessful with an interview, but was told by my manager that I did a great interview and there really was nothing between myself and the successful candidate. I was also told that I was placed on a panel and should another similar position arise in the next couple of months then I'd get that job.

2 months past, and someone in the identical position handed in their notice. I approached my manager to see what the story was, and if I was going to slot into their position. I was told that these panels usually last for 2 or 3 months and as this person had only handed in their notice, by the time they finished up, HR signed off on the request to fill their position then the panel would be over and I'd have to go through the interview process.

I was confused and disappointed, as we have to give 2 months notice, so not sure how I was ever supposed to get a job off this panel, also others on panels have gotten jobs after a lot longer than 3 or 4 months. Didn't want to cause a stir at this time, so didn't say anything, and went through the interview process.

Got a call from HR, to be told I was unsuccessful with this interview ! I asked HR how the panel system works and was told as above except that it lasts for 6months. Explained the situation, and was told they would check with the manager. Got a call back and was told that cause I was on a panel I actually should not have had to do another interview, but other candidates were entitled to do an interview.

I'm disappointed with the changing of the stories both from my manager and HR.

I like my job, and have had only positive reviews on my work. What can I do ? I realise that I'm going to be the loser in the long run if I challenge my manager. I realise that HR are always going to side with the Manager too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

I don't want to be cruel: but perhaps your manager was just trying to be kind, avoiding confrontation and demotivation by giving you positive feedback after your first interview.

Did he say specifically what the deciding factor was at the first interview?

Experience, Qualifications, aptitude, attitude, etc. what gave the job to the other candidate? If so what has changed that would prompt him to give you the job this time?

After all a panel does not mean that you are owed the net job that comes along? In the interest of the business, if the role is significant it is his responsibility to search for the best person for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I don't want to be cruel: but perhaps your manager was just trying to be kind, avoiding confrontation and demotivation by giving you positive feedback after your first interview.

Did he say specifically what the deciding factor was at the first interview?

Experience, Qualifications, aptitude, attitude, etc. what gave the job to the other candidate? If so what has changed that would prompt him to give you the job this time?

After all a panel does not mean that you are owed the net job that comes along? In the interest of the business, if the role is significant it is his responsibility to search for the best person for the job.

Thanks for reply and don't worry bout being cruel !! Perhaps he was trying to be kind and avoid confrontation etc giving me positive feedback but for other unsuccessful candidates his feedback wasn't as positive and they weren't told they were put on any panel ? I also felt that the interview did go very well.

He said it was tough as there was no real deciding factor, and he would have no problem with me getting the role, but two into one doesn't go blah blah ... ...

Qualifications would be similar, Experience - I would have slightly more. IMO and the opinion of others on the team that discussed it my aptitude, attitude, timekeeping, work ethic, attendance would be better.

I was told that I'll get the next role that comes along if its in the next couple of months. It has worked like that for others on the team. HR confirmed that this is how it works but then changed the story to say that others can get interviewed.

I agree that its his responsibility to get the best person for the job, but what is stopping him from filling the positions that arise with his friends, drinking buddies, good looking females that he fancies, his cousin, etc. when the team ultimately picks up their slack to get the tasks done.

Advertisement