Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MOTHS!!!!

• 23-06-2013 9:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have experience with dealing with moths in the house? Do the traps help?
    ATM we're killing any we see flying around or up on walls/ceilings but can't seem to get on top of it. :( It seems to die down and there's another cycle of then appearing. We're hovering/dusting/wiping/washing everything but still finding the cocoon things - some empty and some with the worm in and some even crawling up walls/on the floor. There's only one room in the house with carpet so wondering if they could be coming from in there. I have to pull another room apart today to make sure they're not nesting in something and dreading it - last time it was disgusting finding tons of the cocoon things on a fur training dummy that had fallen down behind a press :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

What do these moths look like?
    A family member got an infestation from a carpet they think, carpet was in over a year before it started to get noticeable, they ate the carpet and other fabrics in the house, right pain to get rid of.
    With animals around its even harder, lavender oil spayed on everything you can, dry cleaning fabrics, or do as we did and got a cheap iron and ironed everything including carets, on as hot a setting as you can. They like moisture, so open windows and air stuff out.
    I know there was something else, will find out later and update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

They're all dark brown. I'll get some lavender oil to try. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Those wooden balls, cedar wood I think are a repellant too.
    They like the dark so move anything movable too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Oh they're everywhere at the moment! I hoovered the house top to bottom yesterday and I can STILL find them fluttering about the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

First turn off the heating in the room, Bag every thing in the room and out the back. Get the hover and get into every nook and crannie wardrobes chairs beds ect will need to be done Moths breed in dark. They lay 30 to 40 eggs every four weeks, & they will hatch in 3 to 4 days.The eggs look like a grain of rice.It's the caterpillar stage of these moths that does the damage They can live all year round in a nice warm home...So you will need to clean up well .Once hovering is done spray with moth repellents, Or if you have a steam cleaner, Get steaming every inch same for the contents of the room. Wash every thing in the washer and hang out to dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Liccle trinity

My house is plagued with them also. Thanks for asking OP.
    Little feckers love chewing away at our cottons. Its hard to find any moth repellants in shops though.
    Might try bunches of fresh cut lavender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Just ressurecting this thread as there seems to be a plethora of the little buggers around this year.

I tend to zap them with my Bug Bat (nice and clean method, saves getting all the moth dust on furniture and walls that happens when you smush them)

House is fully carpetted so no chance of ironing the lot, do moth balls work or something i can leave around the place to passively kill them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

We zap/squash them on sight too and use lavender oil in my room. Don't waste your money on traps - I've gotten a few kinds and they were all useless. We took up the last carpet in the house (apart from stairs and landing) a few months back because it was infested with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I think I just found the source, looked under the couch and a nice 3-inch hole with lots of white powder around it (which I imagine are eggs). They must have been at it for a few months!

So, off to Lenehans I think to pick up something.

Any particular spray I should look out for?

Or should I just call pest-control?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Please don't bump up old threads. Locking this now as pest control threads are no longer permitted in this forum.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement