Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn shearing

• 23-06-2013 9:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭

Haven't shorn here yet , and am thinking strongly of leaving it till September and putting everything through the dip tub this week, any opinions , march lambing flock. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Haven't shorn here yet , and am thinking strongly of leaving it till September and putting everything through the dip tub this week, any opinions , march lambing flock. Thanks

Usually shear here the end of august, clik them in june.
    Its easier to organise shearing when there's no lambs around,
    They seem to be cleaner at that time...probably because they're on bare pastures since weaning.
    They also have less wool at lambing,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Lastin

I don't winter shear but it would very hard to keep enough water in the dip tub with such full fleeces, click would seem the better option to avoid maggots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Must do the sums on clik verses dipping, the tub holds 400 gallons and takes 4 litres of cypergaurd to make it up and can usually dip with one top up of 100 galls and 1 litre, so dipping when shorn costs 260 approx , would cost more with full fleeces maybe 2 more litres . will find out price of clik for 200 ewes and 300 lambs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Find Click too expensive and i dont have a dip trough either .

Mix up Cyberguard in the sprayer , an get a batch of them in a a pen so they are tight and cover them in it with the hand lance .
    Never get maggots after it .
    However they dont have full fleeces either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Do ye not find that ewes have very heavy fleeces going into August.....I find that ewes actively thrive after been shorn now....even if still rearing lambs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

We usually start shearing about this time every year and have a small few (about 40) sheared since the weekend....much kinder on them to be rid of the heavy fleeces and they thrive after it..shear all ewe lambs too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭jfh

we winter shear a few weeks after housing, find them much healthier.
    harder to catch tho!
    we used clik a few times but found it too expensive too, get that guy who calls around with the dipping truck for the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

how much do the dipping crowd charge roughly??

Richk2012 wrote: »
    Find Click too expensive and i dont have a dip trough either .

Mix up Cyberguard in the sprayer , an get a batch of them in a a pen so they are tight and cover them in it with the hand lance .
    Never get maggots after it .
    However they dont have full fleeces either

I have a dipping tank but never could get more than 4-5 weeks protection from maggots, so they'd need to be dipped twice.
    There's 500 ewes and 800 lambs here and they all get clik early june and that finishes the maggots for the year....not cheap but its handy.
    The ewes really thrive well here too after shearing and I believe it's one of the reasons that we get such good lamb crops.

rancher wrote: »
    I have a dipping tank but never could get more than 4-5 weeks protection from maggots, so they'd need to be dipped twice.
    There's 500 ewes and 800 lambs here and they all get clik early june and that finishes the maggots for the year....not cheap but its handy.
    The ewes really thrive well here too after shearing and I believe it's one of the reasons that we get such good lamb crops.

Had the shearer yesterday, from nine to nine he sheared 324 sheep, don't know how he sticks it, I'm wrecked any way.
    Any one know what wool's making.
    Have to do 120 today if they dry, and the ewe lambs in a fortnights time

• Advertisement
Advertisement