Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

14 Month old not walking and a walker

Options
  • 23-06-2013 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭

Hi I’ve a 14 month old boy who although is standing for short periods against objects, is not pulling himself up, cruising, standing by himself or walking and I’m just wondering if a walker would help strengthen his legs.

He never crawled just bum shuffles everywhere. I’m aware of the recent report about walkers with regards their use and delayed walking however my first child had a walker and cruised at 9 months, walked at 12, plus from what I gathered the study was done on kids that started to use walkers at 6-8 months not 14. Would it help, any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I personally would avoid them completely, The reports are not that recent either.
    Every child walks and talks at their own pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Devi wrote: »
    Hi I’ve a 14 month old boy who although is standing for short periods against objects, is not pulling himself up, cruising, standing by himself or walking and I’m just wondering if a walker would help strengthen his legs.

He never crawled just bum shuffles everywhere. I’m aware of the recent report about walkers with regards their
    use and delayed walking however my first child had a walker and cruised at 9 months, walked at 12, plus from what I gathered the study was done on kids that started to use walkers at 6-8 months not
    14. Would it help, any thoughts?

I would avoid the walker personally. I have 5 kids and they walked from between 10 and 16months. They all have their own way so no point comparing him to your eldest. If you are concerned you could ask the health nurse to assess his development but id say hes fine and for want of a better phrase 'couldn't be arsed' just yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

I don't see any issue with using a walker we've had all our kids in one at some point and they've all walked between 10 -14 mths. He'll walk when he see's fit our first crawled and walked in the same week or so.

I wouldn't be worried just yet if I were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I met a girl in the health centre a few months ago who was there because her 20 month old wasn't walking...he was a bum shuffler too and she was told that babies who bum shuffle can be later to walk because they get around so efficiently and so fast on their bums there's no incentive for them to try to walk. How true that is I dont know.

Having said that my second guy was incredibly late to do anything. ..from rolling to crawling to standing. He was about 15 months when he took his first steps. Its one of those things that they do in their own time and when they're ready.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭ladysarah

my friend's little girl bum crawled and did not walk until 23 months. but once started walking was absolutely fine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

Ok so the consensus would be to stay away from them altogether. I probably should relax more about it but it’s hard to see your kid left behind and do nothing. Thing I don’t get it if they do it in their own pace, every kid is different and there is a wide range of normal, why is there such a push to reach milestones at all? Just creates worry for the parents.

On a side note, has there been any studies on why some kids reach their milestones later than others? I always thought there was a genetic factor but both me and my partner where 10 months walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Have you tried the likes of the vtech walker or sonething that he can push. Our daughter was pushing that around a little before she could pull her self up. Also holding her 2 hands and letting her walk arohnd . We used to pull the cushions of the couch to make it lower and put a toy on it and help her pull herself up until she got the hang of it. I really wouldnt worry though i bring my daughter to gymboree every week and she was the first to walk the others around her age only starting now. 2 are 17 months one
    is 15 months. And ive heard loads say how theres was 15 plus months. He will get there in his own time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

Yes try a push along walker. My boy was 14 mths before he started walking he's 16mths now and flying round the place. I got him a push along boat thing and he loved it think it gave him more confidence to walk by himself.

Suucee wrote: »
    Have you tried the likes of the vtech walker or sonething that he can push. Our daughter was pushing that around a little before she could pull her self up. Also holding her 2 hands and letting her walk arohnd . We used to pull the cushions of the couch to make it lower and put a toy on it and help her pull herself up until she got the hang of it. I really wouldnt worry though i bring my daughter to gymboree every week and she was the first to walk the others around her age only starting now. 2 are 17 months one
    is 15 months. And ive heard loads say how theres was 15 plus months. He will get there in his own time.

Yes he has one of them, he is interested in the front but not using it to pull up or push.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Don't worry about it one bit. I know loads of kids who didn't walk until after 18 months. My buddies son didn't walk til 23 months. He is a budding athlete now.

No rush anyway! As soon as they walk they are pulling everything down on top of themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hi OP. That's the danger of 'milestones'! They are an average age, with a spread of months either side. Parents know all about them, and children don't. The little fella's method of getting around the room suits him for the moment. When he decides he wants to get up and walk, he will. I really wouldn't worry. If you want to put your mind at ease, no harm mentioning it to th GP. They'll most likely tell you the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

My son is 14, almost 15 months old & he still hasn't walked yet, he was a year old before he could roll from back to front!
    He can stand unsupported & he's taken the odd step but nothing major.
    He absolutely flies around on all fours & can climb like a monkey so I don't think he sees any advantages to walking.
    It doesn't concern me though, as I'm often told he won't be starting school not knowing how to walk!
    Milestones are just estimated targets, some hit them others take longer. No one is good at everything, some excel at one thing others another, that's just life.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maggie Benson

Any tips for training a three and a half year old who still wets his pants?

pwurple wrote: »
    Don't worry about it one bit. I know loads of kids who didn't walk until after 18 months. My buddies son didn't walk til 23 months. He is a budding athlete now.

No rush anyway! As soon as they walk they are pulling everything down on top of themselves.
    Thats true.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Any tips for training a three and a half year old who still wets his pants?

Grit your teeth and wait - 3 1/2 is no age at all, I wouldn't worry about it. Use pull-ups while you're out and about, let them roam bottomless around the house if you can, all the while praising and rewarding the times when he/she does make it to the potty/toilet. Stressing yourself is only going to make it worse, in 6 months time you'll be wondering what the fuss was about.

Ms2011 wrote: »
    My son is 14, almost 15 months old & he still hasn't walked yet, he was a year old before he could roll from back to front!
    He can stand unsupported & he's taken the odd step but nothing major.
    He absolutely flies around on all fours & can climb like a monkey so I don't think he sees any advantages to walking.
    It doesn't concern me though, as I'm often told he won't be starting school not knowing how to walk!
    Milestones are just estimated targets, some hit them others take longer. No one is good at everything, some excel at one thing others another, that's just life.

I don’t think I would be as concerned if he climbed or if he took a step or could stand without me behind him but he can’t do any of that and there is no sign of him doing it. He just seems happy bumming around, been doing that for months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I don’t think I would be as concerned if he climbed or if he took a step or could stand without me behind him but he can’t do any of that and there is no sign of him doing it. He just seems happy bumming around, been doing that for months now.

My brother didn't pull himself up, or take a step until he was 2. He was happy scooting around on his bum until then. He'll do it when he's ready :)

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

My daughter was 14 months on the 14th of this month and only last week started to crawl. Prior to that she got everywhere pushing herself backwards on the floor. She will only pull herself up on furniture as far as her knees.
    She will get there eventually. And so will your lad. She took four months to start crawling forward from when she first started getting everywhere backwards and sure now she's a demon. Needs eyes everywhere nevermind in the back of my head!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

As others said, wouldn't worry in the slightest.

Milestones can be lethal, when you're a parent, especially a new parent, it's very very hard not to get worried if they don't meet them.

I find I get really worked up about them, but then he could be progressing fine in other areas and I'm not able to put it in perspective. Everything sets off alarm bells. But then as in the stories above, a LOT of kids start doing stuff way later than other kids but it doesn't affect them in any way whatsoever.

I'm making a conscious effort not to worry about it because now I'm worried (:rolleyes:) that my stress & disappointment will rub off on him. *I WILL not be a pushy mammy*

They really just do things when they're ready but more importantly when they want to and when it suits them & they're interested.

Mink wrote: »
    As others said, wouldn't worry in the slightest.

Milestones can be lethal, when you're a parent, especially a new parent, it's very very hard not to get worried if they don't meet them.

I find I get really worked up about them, but then he could be progressing fine in other areas and I'm not able to put it in perspective. Everything sets off alarm bells. But then as in the stories above, a LOT of kids start doing stuff way later than other kids but it doesn't affect them in any way whatsoever.

I'm making a conscious effort not to worry about it because now I'm worried (:rolleyes:) that my stress & disappointment will rub off on him. *I WILL not be a pushy mammy*

They really just do things when they're ready but more importantly when they want to and when it suits them & they're interested.

This is it, my brother has a daughter who was a bum shuffler/late walker and I used to say the same to him, don’t worry about it she do it in her own time but when it’s your kid you can’t help but worry.

I suppose the point of this thread is to ask is there anything I can to do to help him develop these skills, (such as get a walker).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 highflyer30

I use a walker. Baby loves it. For those who believe they slow the child down, They way i see it they ll be walking long enough when they take off. Each child gets there at different times. I know the US banned them due to the amonut of head injuries a lot of which ended up with baby hitting the stair gate loose and falling down the stairs! My man is in it downstairs in front of me for half hour a day. Dont see the harm in it. My mam swears by them too. - eight kids later, all walking before 13 months. Its up to you, they are cheap enough to buy in comparision with the stationary walker thing. Ours was 39 euro on sale.

I know highflyer30 as I said I used one on the first child who walked at 12 months (although he looked like he was going to walk at 9). Curiosity got the better of me and I had a quick look at a mini review of four studies on the subject between 1977-2002. The general consensus of the studies seem to suggest that they have no positive impact on the onset of walking with exception of the ‘see feet’ walkers.

All of the four studies showed walkers to have a negative impact on the onset of walking, (1, 14, 36 and 21 days delayed with the exception of the see feet walkers, which was only referenced on one of the studies and had a 5 day positive impact as the baby can see their feet and make the connection). Which ones are the see feet?

Here’s a link if anybody is interested in reading it, I got it through the college library so I don’t know if you can see it, if you can’t pm me and I’ll send you the pdf.

http://web.ebscohost.com.remote.library.dcu.ie/ehost/pdfviewer/pdfviewer?sid=bbbaca5d-1e34-40b2-be03-5c5d84b093e2%40sessionmgr11&vid=2&hid=22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My youngest did not walk until she was just gone 16 months. She'd hardly even pull herself up to stand the month before it.

Just relax, he'll walk when he's ready.

As for the person asking about the 3 and a half year old that is still wetting himself, put a pull up on. He's obviously not ready to train yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

My little one has only really taken off walking this last couple of days, at 17 months. She took her first steps at the end of May, but really wasn't pushed to walk, had been flying along on her knees for ages:). She was pulling herself to stand and cruising by 11 months, so I thought she was never going to walk. She used a walker occasionally, I see no harm in them once they are supervised in them. I didn't like the push along walker as a means to get her on her feet. I found it went too quickly for her, and she was face planting the whole time:(

Advertisement