Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abnormally high bill out of the blue from Airtricity

Options
  • 21-06-2013 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭

I got a terribly high bill from airtricity last March, no idea why, but hundreds over the usual and not because of estimates, I am still in arrears since when I was close to getting it cleared, another high bill came in, but I pay a good bit every week. They are pushing and pushing for me to get the pre-pay meter and tbh, I don't want one since I am frightened I will have to choose between food for dinner for a night or two or electricity, some weeks the money doesn't go far enough, many people know the feeling. I told them my landlord said no (never discussed it, but they wouldn't stop harassing me about how it means I would never be in arrears again) and I was told "it didn't need to be okayed with the landlord because the account was in my name" I was shocked, that to me is altering the property and I have no right to do so without my landlords consent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I got a terribly high bill from airtricity last March, no idea why, but hundreds over the usual and not because of estimates, I am still in arrears since when I was close to getting it cleared, another high bill came in, but I pay a good bit every week. They are pushing and pushing for me to get the pre-pay meter and tbh, I don't want one since I am frightened I will have to choose between food for dinner for a night or two or electricity, some weeks the money doesn't go far enough, many people know the feeling. I told them my landlord said no (never discussed it, but they wouldn't stop harassing me about how it means I would never be in arrears again) and I was told "it didn't need to be okayed with the landlord because the account was in my name" I was shocked, that to me is altering the property and I have no right to do so without my landlords consent.

Hmmmmm, now that might be remarkably similar to what happened in my case because in fairness, while my tenants beat a hasty enough retreat, they had paid their rent to date. Could have left the place a bit better but that's a subjective matter. I would not be surprised if Airtricity led them on like you stated above.

My previous experience with Airtricity is shocking also. And the simple word of advice is, unless you're absolutely certain you'll never need customer service, stay well away from AIRTRICITY! That would apply equally to Landlord and tenant.

Thanks for sharing wolfpawnat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Avns1s wrote: »
    Hmmmmm, now that might be remarkably similar to what happened in my case because in fairness, while my tenants beat a hasty enough retreat, they had paid their rent to date. Could have left the place a bit better but that's a subjective matter. I would not be surprised if Airtricity led them on like you stated above.

My previous experience with Airtricity is shocking also. And the simple word of advice is, unless you're absolutely certain you'll never need customer service, stay well away from AIRTRICITY! That would apply equally to Landlord and tenant.

Thanks for sharing wolfpawnat.

As soon as I have this cleared, I am running back to Electric Ireland with my tail between my legs. I have had nothing but stress with the b-tards! 8 months pregnant and harassing me to pay more each week. I have gotten countless phonecalls and all saying the same, Pre-paid is so much better and it was a matter for me and them only. So maybe your tenants genuinely thought they didn't have to, or maybe they knew, but just to let you LL's know that is what they are telling us tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

no idea why
    Switch off EVERY plug in the house, every light, everything.

And look at the meter. See if it's still moving. If it is, something is using the power...

the_syco wrote: »
    Switch off EVERY plug in the house, every light, everything.

And look at the meter. See if it's still moving. If it is, something is using the power...

It's not the Electricity that is all over the place, it's the gas readings :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It's not the Electricity that is all over the place, it's the gas readings :confused:
    Couple of questions;
    Have you bled the radiators? (sometimes air would be trapped in the rads, and stop the rad from getting hot)
    What are you comparing the prices to?
    How long each day do you have the heat on?
    How is the shower hot water heated?

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Couple of questions;
    Have you bled the radiators? (sometimes air would be trapped in the rads, and stop the rad from getting hot)
    What are you comparing the prices to?
    How long each day do you have the heat on?
    How is the shower hot water heated?

No, I need to bleed the one in the bathroom though, it was freezing the whole time.

I am comparing the price of that bill (€390 for gas) to the ones I got all winter (usually €120-150)

I would have it on one hour at 6am and an hour at 7pm. occasionally when it was cold adding a half hour to 45 min in the afternoon and about midnight IF it was really cold (my partner and son are like polar bears so it was rare)

Showers are heated by immersion(sp?) so the electricity.... I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What's the billing period?

It was bleeding freezing all spring and you would have had the heating on much longer.

Are you sure it wasn't because your previous bills were not estimated, does the current meter reading match the m3 on the bill ( ignore the kwh)

Is your time clock broken , how we'll insulated is your house, because I find it hard to believe that you only needed the heating on for 1 hour in the evening a d morning when its being so Baltic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Avns1s wrote: »
    unless you're absolutely certain you'll never need customer service, stay well away from AIRTRICITY!

Are they really that bad? I have been with them for a year for lecky and gas but have never had cause to contact them. I have not read anything good about their customer service so might jump ship before I have an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

I had a shocking 'customer service' experience with them a few years ago.
    Long and complicated story for another time but what I got from them was HORRENDOUS.
    I was laughed at and told that among other things that I should have read my contract properly. The attitude of the customer care management was beyond awful and this was 2008/2009 before they were in the consumer market as they are now and before pre-recession.
    I WILL never ever use them and would advise people NOT to use them!

Advertisement