Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap hotel in Central London- any tips?

Options
  • 23-06-2013 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Hi all, Im heading to London 1st week of August for a few days of business and Im wondering does anyone have any advice on cheapish hotels around the Picadilly or Covent Garden or even anywhere close enough to the main sights because I want to see the attractions in the evening so close proximity is essential. I have scoured the websites for hotels but cant find anything under 600euros for 4 nights ha ha. Im not that clued up on London and the best places to stay so if anyone knows of some decent enough but budget hotels (ideally with breakfast) then please let me know.

Even a hotel near the Tube would be ideal so I could travel from point to point.

Thanks. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

London has one of the best public transport systems in the world so proximity is by no means essential. Any hotels in/near central London (zone 1 transport-wise) will be expensive but you can stay a couple of zones further out, get cheaper hotel rates & still be within easy reach of the central sights.

Check out www.tfl.gov.uk for tube maps, times, fare info, etc. Take a look at Google maps to get an idea of the areas in zone 2 or 3 based on the tube stations and then try the likes of www.lastminute.com for hotel prices.

Also, moved to the London forum for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Tune Hotel by Liverpool st. (credit to Basq for the find) is cheap and cheerful and only a minute or 2 walk from Liverpool st. tube station which is one of the most central areas you can ask for really, right in zone 1. Their cheapest twin room with no extras or windows but which is very clean and comfortable cost just £55 per night and that's per room, so myself and my mate only paid £27.50 each for the night for it. For £8 you can add a 24 hour tv and wifi access, toiletries/towels/hair dryer and an in room safe.

Also worth noting is that the room was booked with about 3 days notice for a Sunday night the day before a bank holiday (after we got screwed over by a hostel we previously booked but that's another story!) so still cheap with short notice! There's about 3 or 4 of them around central London but Liverpool st seems to be the cheapest.

http://www.tunehotels.com/gb/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Hi all, Im heading to London 1st week of August for a few days of business and Im wondering does anyone have any advice on cheapish hotels around the Picadilly or Covent Garden or even anywhere close enough to the main sights because I want to see the attractions in the evening so close proximity is essential.
    As said above, it's very unlikely you'll find anything cheap in such a central location. I think there's a TravelLodge in Covent Garden - that's probably your best bet. Otherwise, I would suggest you try EasyHotel - I know there's one near Earl's Court, just on the edge of Zone 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

djpbarry wrote: »
    As said above, it's very unlikely you'll find anything cheap in such a central location. I think there's a TravelLodge in Covent Garden - that's probably your best bet. Otherwise, I would suggest you try EasyHotel - I know there's one near Earl's Court, just on the edge of Zone 1.

On a visit to London last year before I moved over permanently I stayed in an EasyHotel on Old St. I would spend the extra money for something a little bit better if you can - it was like sleeping in a coffin. Would avoid at all costs.

The room (if you can call it that) was essentially a pod with a small double glazed window that you couldn't open. So claustrophobic.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

THe County Hotel ,( part of the Imperial Hotels group )Upper Woburn Place ,between Huston station and Russel square is the cheapest i know at around 50 sterling a night single including a huge buffee breakfast .You have a sink in the room and tv but share the bathroom with 4 other rooms .The bathroom was always advailable when i stayed there .You can book on line if you google Imperial Hotels London .They have several Hotels by Russel Sq but the oldest the County is the cheapest .It was very clean last i stayed there about 5 years ago .

• Advertisement
Advertisement