Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Spare MkV VW Golf Key

Options
  • 23-06-2013 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭

Lads, apologies if I am covering old ground here. Lost our spare key for the golf last week. Absolute pain in the arse. Would like to get it replaced so that I can remotely open the car as before. No way I am paying over 200 to a main dealer for that though. Is it even possible to get one to remotely open the car without going to a dealer?

Spotted this on ebay today: http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281113921822&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Suppose I could just buy this and get it cut and coded?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

That's just an empty case. Not much use to you.

If you want a proper replacement key it is going to cost you the better part of €200 no matter what way you go about it I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Autokey give them a ring or email and get a quote. They should be cheaper than main dealer. But tbh your still going to be looking around 200 euro if you want remote central locking and a flip key as before. Get a quote from them anyway id of thought a main dealer would be 300 euro plus but I could be wrong. They quoted me 160 for a focus key with remote central locking or 60 for one that would open doors manually and start engine still a genuine ford key. I went for the 60 one as it is only a spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

I doubt Autokey would be much cheaper.

The key is €130 ex VAT from VW. Then they will charge about €60 for coding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I doubt Autokey would be much cheaper.

The key is €130 ex VAT from VW. Then they will charge about €60 for coding.

That's not too bad so. A ford main dealer wanted almost 180 euro to supply and code a key for my focus that didnt even have central locking (250 with central locking) so in my case autokey worked out alot cheaper. But I suppose for certain keys the main dealer may be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭dubmick

thanks lads, I think I'll forget about the central locking then. Tell me I can get this done for less than a ton. Still hoping the keys turn up. Annoying thing is I know they must have been found. Just haven't been handed in.

• Advertisement

just to update this in case anyone else needs a spare set:

VW Main dealer Eur 250
    Autokey Eur 180

• Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How many/what type did you get?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    How many/what type did you get?

the above prices are for one spare flip type key with remote locking.

Advertisement