Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damage to Cherry trees

• 23-06-2013 2:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭

I have just noticed some very bad damage to my cherry trees, both prunus avium and pa "plena". It looks to me like wind/frost damage, with withered leaves falling off en masse specifically on the north sides of the trees, as surprisingle there hasnt been an aphid attack on the plena this year. There is new growth happining on the damaged north sides of the trees at the moment.

Has anyone else had this type of damage or do you think it is localised to here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Yep noticed same thing about 2 weeks back. Line of 8m Kanzan and one plena with localized dead withered leaves. plena also has severe blacklfy infestation.

Some regrowth of leaves on affected branches, but now have 2 dead great white cherries from another line just across the way-not drought but planted next to blackthorn hedge so possibly honey fungus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

have similar damage to the cherries now showing up on a korean fir.

I wonder what on earth is going on????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I think cold wind damage (probabbly wind borne salt too) from earlier in the year showing up first on the cherries and now on the thicker leaved fir. I'm sure the hot weather hasnt helped either in any recovery.

A lot of sycamamor seedlings got hammered after planting this year too due to opening up their large leaves just as the winds started in earnest and not being rooted properly they just dried up and blew away. Willow, ash and poplar didnt suffer such losses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement