Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to cook corned silverside of beef

Options
  • 23-06-2013 2:36pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a lovely bit of silverside of corned beef, about 800 or 900g. What's the best way to cook it to get a really tender result? The package says to boil it, but I wonder if slow roasting wouldn't be better?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I don't eat it myself but my mother does and has always boiled it. I think it's like bacon in that boiling works best for it. It's probably too late now if you're having it today, but 4-5 hours on high in the slow cooker with a cup of water would probably be ideal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I don't eat it myself but my mother does and has always boiled it. I think it's like bacon in that boiling works best for it. It's probably too late now if you're having it today, but 4-5 hours on high in the slow cooker with a cup of water would probably be ideal.

No, I'm doing it tomorrow :).

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

Yes boil it, its corned, into large pan, cover with water bring to the boil, skim the top and reduce to a simmer, for a couple to hours, we put the cabbage in half hour before cooked, lovely taste on the cabbage, and steamed potatoes.
    leftovers, we make one large hash brown,fry off potatoes and cabbage till starting to get brown, add beef,heat through, good knob of butter, all the while flatten down, serve in slices with fried, or poached egg on top and salad, goes down a treat,
    lovely meal, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

God don't cook the cabbage in Corned beef water..
    Cabbage should deserves more respect.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

There'll be no cabbage in my house! This is for sandwiches, not a main meal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

lucylu wrote: »
    God don't cook the cabbage in Corned beef water..
    Cabbage should deserves more respect.

Ah you don't know what your missing ;) such flavor on it, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'd always soak mine first, or pour off the first water and reboil with fresh water... Then boil away.... Love my cabbage cooked in meat water.... But only for only 10 mins or so...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I start mine off by rinsing the joint (I dislike the residue a vacuum pack can leave on the meat) in cold water, then placing in a pot of cold water. Add a cupful of malt vinegar, two large tablespoons of dark brown sugar (or some black treacle if I have it), break a whole nutmeg by cracking it with something heavy and throw that in the water, along with a heaped teaspoon of cloves. Simmer as per the directions on the packet (I try to never let it get to a rolling boil - so I don't start on a high heat and then turn it down, I start on a medium heat and leave it there).

With that I'll do some cabbage or kale (which I do by dropping it in a dry wok with a half a cup of water and two crushed cloves of garlic and a good grind of black pepper, lid on, high heat, let it steam in there). I also do mashed potato, but when the cabbage / kale is done, I'll strain it and squeeze the water out with a clean cloth, then chop it finely and stir it through the buttery mash.

Serve that with thin slices of corned beef, and top it off with a parsley sauce (I make a very quick sauce of butter, flour and milk, add a little cream if I have it, salt, pepper and loads of chopped parsley.)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

hope ok old thread, just a general question, baked in an over or boiled in water? the online recipes seem to be mostly boiled but some have them done in a oven and covered with foil. I mainly want it for hash browns but there is enough for a main meal as well

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

silverharp wrote: »
    hope ok old thread, just a general question, baked in an over or boiled in water? the online recipes seem to be mostly boiled but some have them done in a oven and covered with foil. I mainly want it for hash browns but there is enough for a main meal as well

Boil it, other wise it will be mad salty.

I've seen recipes where it's finished in the oven for a little while but cooking from start in the oven wouldn't be great in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Depending on how salty the beef is, ( ask the butcher ?) Might be worth soaking, blanching ( cold water bring to boil then pour away and replace with fresh water bring back to the boil ...
    If I wasnt soaking i'd definitely blanch

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

great, it cuts the choices down. Someone at work mentioned changing the water, it sounds like a good tip.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭sudzs

Don't boil, simmer!!

Cook it like a ham. I like to throw in a carrot or 2 and a celery stick, an onion and a clove or 2 of garlic for flavour. Lots of black pepper too and maybe a bay leaf. Simmer very gently for a couple of hours. Sorry, I'm hopeless with times as I go by tenderness (stick a sharp knife in!) and the look of the meat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Any tips on actually making corned beef from a piece of brisket?

I live in the UK and cannot find corned beef (other than the vile tinned stuff).

If anyone has a simple recipe for curing the beef myself I'd love to hear it. Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I live in the UK and cannot find corned beef (other than the vile tinned stuff).

If anyone has a simple recipe for curing the beef myself I'd love to hear it. Thanks! :)
    I had salt beef in London recently (Jewish café)
    It should be around.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I had salt beef in London recently (Jewish café)
    It should be around.

Unfortunately I live 900km from London.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I don't have a recipe, but after some research I did when I was considering making my own it would appear that you definitely need curing salt (aka Prague Powder) for whatever pickling blend you go for. Without it you won't get the proper corned beef 'pink' & you'll end up with a slab of unappetising grey meat.

There's a load of decent recipes out there on the Web, but quite a few dodgy ones that seem to be way too heavily spiced for my liking. Go with what seems good for your taste buds.

Advertisement