Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in greater Gorey area

Options
  • 23-06-2013 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

My wife and I have been looking for a house now for about 6 months to no avail. "A buyers market they say"? Not really, people are buying again and sellers are being very cautious to accept anything less than 10% off the asking price.

We are a young couple originally from Dublin, renting in Gorey, looking for our first home and wanting somewhere quiet but with good access to Gorey and the N11. Our budget won't allow us to pick up a four bedroom spread in some of the more desirable spots for city re-locators such as Tara Hill, Mount Alexander, Kilanerin and much of Ballymoney, so we have been looking in the Ballycanew and Hollyfort directions mostly to little success.

As much as neither of us would ever settle in Dublin as we like the pace and cultural aspects of Wexford, we don't want to segregate ourselves into a deeply rural community and for this reason have been researching the area as much as we can before we settle on any properties. Time is not really on our side nor is our mortgage expiration date hence why we have been considering properties in Kilmuckridge and Ballyedmond.

Could anybody shine a bit of light on the two aforementioned areas as well as Hollyfort and the Camolin side of Ballycanew. What can we expect from each area? Personally I would like to settle out the Hollyfort direction but recently we are finding ourselves driving further south into more rural communities to find homes.

My wife is a clothing designer and I am an architect. Both of us hope to work from home and neither of us have any interest in sport or bars/pubs. Yes I know terribly boring. As silly as it might sound we would like to avoid deeply rural, nosey communities where the locals call an un-official meeting down the local newsagents to discuss the colour you have just painted your door. I've heard Craanford is a bit like that from some Gorey locals without the extremities of-coarse. A nice quiet, private community is a must.

Any thoughts, advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

I don't think that the Craanford people are like what you have been told. I do know for a fact that they rally around when someone is in need.

Have you looked at any properties in Banntown, Clogh and Ballyoughter all of which are on the N11.

Advertisement