Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Text notification stopped

Options
  • 23-06-2013 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭

Hi all

We have a house alarm that up to a few months ago would notify both myself and my wife by text if it went off. However recently it doesn't notify me. How do I go about setting this up again other than contacting the fitters again?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Is it texting from a landline or via GSM.?
    If it's GSM have you topped up within the required time to keep the card active?
    Has anything changed with the alarm or with your phone provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Not really sure what way it works. The engineer set it up when he installed to send a text to both numbers. It may have stopped around the time I switched phone. If I switched network would that impact it? I would have presume its just a case of setting it up again but not sure it hat is something that can be done at the panel or needs the engineer again.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

When you say you switched phones, do you mean your landline, or you mobiles, because at present, the only provider which supports sms's via a land line is Eircom. However, if you have a GSM dialler installed, its just a matter of going into the communications menu in the Engineers menu via the keypad and set up the numbers which you want the texts to go to again.

As has been pointed out to you already thou, it may well be that the sim card in the GSM dialler has deactivated due to not topping up with last 6 months, if indeed you have the GSM dialler.

From your picture that you posted thou, it looks like thats a kepad from a 8/12 panel which would probable indicate the you are using the HKC text dialler via your landline phone.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

HKC could support SMS via landline on an Eircom line or by GSM.
    We need to establish which to help you further.
    Can you open the panel & post up some pics?

Aquos76 wrote: »
    When you say you switched phones, do you mean your landline, or you mobiles, because at present, the only provider which supports sms's via a land line is Eircom. However, if you have a GSM dialler installed, its just a matter of going into the communications menu in the Engineers menu via the keypad and set up the numbers which you want the texts to go to again.

As has been pointed out to you already thou, it may well be that the sim card in the GSM dialler has deactivated due to not topping up with last 6 months, if indeed you have the GSM dialler.

From your picture that you posted thou, it looks like thats a kepad from a 8/12 panel which would probable indicate the you are using the HKC text dialler via your landline phone.
    Switched mobiles. The house phone is with Eircom but the alarm is just a stand alone (albeit with the text notifications )
    KoolKid wrote: »
    HKC could support SMS via landline on an Eircom line or by GSM.
    We need to establish which to help you further.
    Can you open the panel & post up some pics?
    The panel pic above is a bit grainy but looking at it it says SecureWatch HKC. I'll post another pic in a minute.

• Advertisement

Pics attached

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

TheBazman wrote: »
    Switched mobiles. The house phone is with Eircom but the alarm is just a stand alone (albeit with the text notifications )

The panel pic above is a bit grainy but looking at it it says SecureWatch HKC. I'll post another pic in a minute.

If you have any of the old texts seed or if you remember the number the texts came from you should be able to tell if it was a gsm or fixed line that the alarm was sending from

Another

If you have any of the old texts seed or if you remember the number the texts came from you should be able to tell if it was a gsm or fixed line that the alarm was sending from

The main text just says the house address as the sender but going into the details the number is (35) xxx xxxx

By the way cheers for the help so far

Edit just checked my old phone and the messages came from the main landline

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

The main text just says the house address as the sender but going into the details the number is (35) xxx xxxx

Who did you switch provider too?
    Eircom and Vodafone provide the text service as they have a contract in place to bill each other.

• Advertisement

altor wrote: »
    Who did you switch provider too?
    Eircom and Vodafone provide the text service as they have a contract in place to bill each other.

Home phone is and always has been Eircom.

The issue seemed to start when I switched my O2 iPhone for a Three Samsung.

Home phone is and always has been Eircom.

The issue seemed to start when I switched my O2 iPhone for a Three Samsung.

That is the reason so.
    Three do not have a contract in place for Eircom to charge them for the texts going to your mobile. So any text to these numbers from the alarm will not send.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Ok, can we assume that you ported your O2 number over to three, also, has your wife changed over to three aswell?

Can you check and see if you can send a text from the landline?

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Ok, can we assume that you ported your O2 number over to three, also, has your wife changed over to three aswell?

There has always being an issue with this. Eircom Blame Three and Three blame Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Your best bet is to change from three .
    You can't text to an 083 number from a landline . It's a pain in the ar**.
    Is your wife with three ? Did you port your old number ?

Or else fit a GSM.
    If your away abroad the Eircom line would not text you either way. That is the good thing about voice dialers. With the GSM it will.

Or else fit a GSM.
    If your away abroad the Eircom line would not text you either way. That is the good thing about voice dialers. With the GSM it will.

Gsm won't text abroad

Evolution1 wrote: »
    Gsm won't text abroad

Really.. I take it you have not set these up before :D

Or else fit a GSM.

Don't think that's right, if yo can receive texts while on your home network, the same should apply if you are abroad roaming

• Advertisement

Don't think that's right, if yo can receive texts while on your home network, the same should apply if you are abroad roaming

The GSM is different. Home phones will not text abroad.

The GSM is different. Home phones will not text abroad.

You mean they won't text foreign numbers, or they won't text Irish mobiles which are roaming abroad?

The eircom network cannot distinguish between an Irish mobile at home, or roaming abroad, so there should be no issuez

You mean they won't text foreign numbers, or they won't text Irish mobiles which are roaming abroad?

The eircom network cannot distinguish between an Irish mobile at home, or roaming abroad, so there should be no issuez

If that is the case it should work but it does not work.

Gsm won't text abroad

A GSM will send a text to an Irish number abroad.

KoolKid wrote: »
    A GSM will send a text to an Irish number abroad.

Altor cleared this up and explained off thread about how to set this up :D will be testing this during the week .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

GSM will text anywhere that a phone on whatever network the SIM card is from can text to. That's usually most of the world.

Eircom landlines can only text some Irish networks and other eircom landlines.
    the
    It may work from other landline providers who have a billing agreement with eircom wholesale to process SMS traffic.

UPC, Smart and possibly some others don't support SMS at all.

I suspect that landline SMS isn't high on their list priorities because it never really took off commercially. Alarms are probably one of the few users of the service!

Yeah , I thought it was a misunderstanding of it somewhere ...
    A bit pointless having a GSM if you don't get notifications if your away (out of the country)
    This is what you want monitoring for..:confused:

Altor cleared this up and explained off thread about how to set this up :D will be testing this during the week .

Let us know how you get on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

it should work fine if you're out of the country in the same way as any other text as long as the alarm is texting an Irish 08X number. It makes no difference if you're roaming or at home.

eircom have never been able to text Three at all. There is no agreement between the two networks.

Seems a bit ridiculous as eircom is Meteor/EMobile's parent company. You'd think they could just route landline SMS through meteor's agreements?

• Advertisement

SpaceTime wrote: »
    it should work fine if you're out of the country in the same way as any other text as long as the alarm is texting an Irish 08X number. It makes no difference if you're roaming or at home.

eircom have never been able to text Three at all. There is no agreement between the two networks.

Seems a bit ridiculous as eircom is Meteor/EMobile's parent company. You'd think they could just route landline SMS through meteor's agreements?

Have being through the mills with both of them, each of them blame the other. Waste of time trying to get anymore info.

Advertisement