Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Sale Support Group

• 23-06-2013 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭

Well the inevitable Steam Summer Sale seems nearly upon us. Over the past few years I've gone mad with all the "bargains". They would be bargains if I ever got around to downloading and playing them. As it is, I tend to play the same few games over and over.

So, I've decided to start this thread for people like me who need help saying NO! A sort of support group. If tempted by a deal, post here and see if it's really a bargain.

I mean, I am very very very tempted to buy Dead Island as it's only a fiver. I bought Left 4 Dead a couple for years ago and I've only played 2mins. I was also gifted Left 4 Dead 2 for my birthday when it came out and I've never downloaded it. See, I've sort of answered my own question. I probably won't play it.

Let's hope I can hold out for the rest of the sale. I really really really cannot afford any more games.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

Last couple of Steam Sales have been a bit **** imo, so you should be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I also think the last few steam sales haven't been as good as the ones from years gone by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

http://www.samaritans.org/your-community/samaritans-work-ireland

TALKING GOT ME THROUGH
    Talk to us any time you like, in your own way, and off the record – about whatever’s getting to you. You don’t have to be suicidal.

Samaritans Ireland provides 24-hour emotional support to anyone struggling to cope.

If you really want help call them, else just man up and don't buy.
    We all go for impulse buys, nothing wrong with it, and yes...we make our game collections infinitely larger than they need to be.
    But you might wanna play that game in 20years time.

Me personally, it's the first time the sale has come around where I don't have a job and lots of disposable income as I'm saving for Korea. So I won't have a problem :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I also think the last few steam sales haven't been as good as the ones from years gone by.

That's why I plan to keep an eye on GMG etc. They offer some very competitive pricing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I fully endorse this thread, as I have a severe problem with spending. I have very addictive tendencies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Jet Black wrote: »

I knew that was there but I haven't used it before. A grand on games and I've not played 67% of them. As for the amount of hours spent playing, dear god.

I'm going to lie down for a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

This might make you feel better.

9116392275_5e19725a1f_c.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Doesn't seem to be recognising mine fully. Only registering HL2 as my games library.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

doesn't work for me either, shows the wrong profile, even with my own community page. kinda glad it doesnt work too :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

4031,19€

:D

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

3221,94€

:(

Are there any calculators around for Desura or gog.com as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not too bad. My bigger shame is the 63 days /played on WoW. Six months clean now.

2495,22€

448.8 hours spent playing games on Steam

Oh dammit, I should never look for indie bundles and offers. I've only spent 2 euro, my total's went up to 3266,41€ and my unplayed percentage has crept up by 1% to 49%. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,389 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

3172,21€

Though, given it was mostly bought on sale items, I'd guess that it's closer to €1000 than €3172.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So which a bigger sign of your steam sale problem? The cost of games? The number of unplayed games? Or the number of times you go to purchase a game only to be told you already own it? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I think a lot of that can be put down to people having bought some of the gems during past sales. I find that can be the case for myself!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

First step to recognising the problem is to admit it. Albeit in my case, playing Civ V till 1am this morning, one of my few victories on King level. I don't even wish to tally the amount of time spent on that game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Manach wrote: »
    First step to recognising the problem is to admit it. Albeit in my case, playing Civ V till 1am this morning, one of my few victories on King level. I don't even wish to tally the amount of time spent on that game.

Civ is a game where time seizes to exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Civ is a game where time seizes to exist.

I've Civ IV sitting there for god knows how long. Never even downloaded it and now I want Civ V.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,490 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

6882,08€ and 83% unplayed, kneel before Zod! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Manach wrote: »

Hey there stayed-up-way-too-late-playing-Civ5-on-a-Sunday-night buddy.

My total is only 987,46 which is a little relieving. I also didn't actually pay anything like that amount of money due to sales and what not.

EDIT: Yeah, I think the humble bundles grossly exaggerate how much real money was actually transferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Don't think that's necessarily what you paid for them. It has Darksiders 2 down as 49.99 but I got it in a bundle with a few other games which all came to less that 49.99 at the time.

Got worried as I only built my PC before Christmas and besides a couple of odd games I picked up on Mac, as it says I've spent nearly 1000 euro. Probably closer to half that, which is still a lot in just over 6 months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I checked the Steam calculator and it's clearly not very accurate. I paid €2.50 for Tomb Raider Anniversary in a sale and it's listed as €70.

I reason though that all I have to do is buy all the games and then spending money on sales won't be such a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Skerries wrote: »
    6882,08€ and 83% unplayed, kneel before Zod! :D

This is making me feel good about myself!

658,05€ 50% unplayed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Games owned 87
    Games not played 76 (87%)

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

My Steam Profile
    • Worth: 3445,84€
    • Games owned: 308
    • Games not played: 186
    • Percentage: 60%
    • Hours spent: 1,629.2h

I am sure I played a lot less than that (or at least I hope I did, or my wife will kill me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Dacelonid wrote: »
    My Steam Profile
    • Worth: 3445,84€
    • Games owned: 308
    • Games not played: 186
    • Percentage: 60%
    • Hours spent: 1,629.2h

I am sure I played a lot less than that (or at least I hope I did, or my wife will kill me)

Are you sure she's still there? When did you last see her? :P

I checked mine yesterday but computer crashed before posting. A lot less games and value than most people here. Dunno how to feel about that.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Are you sure she's still there? When did you last see her? :P

I checked mine yesterday but computer crashed before posting. A lot less games and value than most people here. Dunno how to feel about that.

Buy a load of indie bundles, you'll be past the thousand mark in no time.

Out of the €3,200 worth of games on my account I'd say I've spent less than a third of that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Piecharts and stuff!

Advertisement