Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pampers - 14% reduction in pack sizes now that Huggies are leaving European market

• 23-06-2013 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭

Previous packs had 48 nappies in them, now they're going to have 41, same price.

Huggies are leaving the market so Pampers corporate greed has decided to virtually bump up the price by 14% as soon as possible, using the opportunity to fleece Irish families.

Feel free to make a comment or two on their Pampers Ireland/UK facebook page here : Pampers Ireland/UK Rip Off Merchants

You should have a sick feeling in your stomach watching any cosy family adverts they show on TV too.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

SmallBalls wrote: »

Just No. They are like cardboard those ****e from lidl/aldi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

0ph0rce0 wrote: »

Each to their own I suppose. I've put 4 kids through them and never much problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

We used the Lidl nappies for our two and although they are not as soft as other big name brands...cardboard is a bit of an over exaggeration. They have never come up in any rash, or sore etc. and the price is great. Once or twice a year they have a 2 of the big packs for €10...which is fantastic value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

Aldi nappies are great-used them on both my kids and my sister used them on hers-absolutely fine!

No need to pay Pampers rip off prices!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭nino1

Previous packs had 48 nappies in them, now they're going to have 41, same price.

Huggies are leaving the market so Pampers corporate greed has decided to virtually bump up the price by 14% as soon as possible, using the opportunity to fleece Irish families.

Feel free to make a comment or two on their Pampers Ireland/UK facebook page here : Pampers Ireland/UK Rip Off Merchants

You should have a sick feeling in your stomach watching any cosy family adverts they show on TV too.

Not sure what your issue is.
    Is there someone holding a gun to your head forcing you to buy Pampers?
    We use Aldi nappies and find them equally as good as pampers.
    You'd swear pampers had a monopoly or something.
    If you think they are too expensive just don't buy them. simples.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

nino1 wrote: »
    We use Aldi nappies and find them equally as good as pampers.
    You'd swear pampers had a monopoly or something.
    If you think they are too expensive just don't buy them. simples.

Of course there being forced to buy them, sure everyone is forced into things like that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

We used the Lidl nappies for our two and although they are not as soft as other big name brands...cardboard is a bit of an over exaggeration.
    I bet if the lidl/aldi ones were actually made by a new start up company or an existing company newly making nappies, say sudocreme or someone, then there would have been no comments. People tend to have their mind made up about own-brand products, like they MUST be worse, so have their mind made up before 'reviewing' them, a "knew they'd be crap, and see I was right" mentality.

from 2009 in the business post
    Boxes of Pampers nappies that are being sold at €25 to Irish retailers are available for €10 in Britain. The Sunday Business Post sourced cases of Coca-Cola that typically sell for €9 in Ireland for €5.60 (»5) in Britain.

Price lists acquired by this newspaper showed a huge disparity in the prices which suppliers in Ireland are charging retailers compared to the prices British suppliers are charging.

‘‘The prices differences are huge, but this should not let the big retailers like Tesco with pan-European buying power off the hook,” said one medium sized independent retailer One large retailer said it had approached the British outfits directly, but many refused to open an account that bypassed the Irish office.

‘‘It is important to remember that the Irish market is extremely small, so when there is trouble, they simply shrug their shoulders,” he said.

‘‘They have passively decided they are not going to do anything about it.” The retailer said he felt ‘‘absolutely powerless. The finger is consistently being pointed at us for being too expensive, but the vast majority of us are not making huge profits’’......

REI said a comprehensive survey of 20,000 products found that the Euro supplier price was less than the UK supplier price in less than 1 per cent of cases.

‘‘Something is seriously wrong when standard grocery brands are up to 250 per cent more expensive when sourced by retailers in Ireland than in Britain,” Fitzsimons said

‘‘The anti-competitive practice of many fashion and cosmetic brand owners who refuse to allow Irish retailers to buy in sterling, instead insisting on euro payment at a premium of sometimes 50 per cent on the sterling price, will in effect lead to significant business closures.......

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭kdowling

Do you realise Pampers are in business to make as much profit as possible just like any other business.
    You seem to think that they should be under some moral obligation to keep prices down for the poor Irish families.
    That's not how business works I'm afraid.
    In business you set the price as high as you can to make as much profit as possible.
    Why do you think they should keep the prices down if they can make more money with the higher prices?
    That's a genuine question as I would really like to understand this mindset that comes across so fatten in these forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

kdowling wrote: »
    Why do you think they should keep the prices down if they can make more money with the higher prices?
    That's a genuine question as I would really like to understand this mindset that comes across so fatten in these forums.

As you imply, a company's aim is generally to maximise the return to its shareholders. This is usually a balancing act between pricing and the volume of sales.

Consumers can't directly change the price. However, they can cause the volume of sales to vary according to the price, and so change the price point at which profits are maximised. A logical company will adjust the price to maximise their profits.

I don't think anybody in this forum is appealing directly to retailers to lower prices. I see the aim of this forum being twofold. Firstly, to alert consumers to instances where price gouging is taking place, highlighting the alternatives that exist. Secondly, if alerting people causes a change in consumer behaviour, sales volumes may be affected, resulting in lower prices.

This forum is a very small part in all of that, but "every little helps" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭kdowling

animaal wrote: »
    As you imply, a company's aim is generally to maximise the return to its shareholders. This is usually a balancing act between pricing and the volume of sales.

Consumers can't directly change the price. However, they can cause the volume of sales to vary according to the price, and so change the price point at which profits are maximised. A logical company will adjust the price to maximise their profits.

I don't think anybody in this forum is appealing directly to retailers to lower prices. I see the aim of this forum being twofold. Firstly, to alert consumers to instances where price gouging is taking place, highlighting the alternatives that exist. Secondly, if alerting people causes a change in consumer behaviour, sales volumes may be affected, resulting in lower prices.

This forum is a very small part in all of that, but "every little helps" :)

I agree. But that wasn't my point.
    My point is that many people here like the op are outraged that company A has increased their prices to maximise profits, what about the poor Irish families, how dare they!
    It's ridiculous.
    For sure, use the information on the forum when deciding what to buy but realise that a company is in business to maximise profits and are under no moral obligation to keep prices at what you think are a reasonable level .

I agree. But that wasn't my point.
    My point is that many people here like the op are outraged that company A has increased their prices to maximise profits, what about the poor Irish families, how dare they!
    It's ridiculous.
    For sure, use the information on the forum when deciding what to buy but realise that a company is in business to maximise profits and are under no moral obligation to keep prices at what you think are a reasonable level .

You should know by now that all companies are out to get everyone :rolleyes: Of course they should lower there prices because of the poor irish family's...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

nino1 wrote: »
    lala88 wrote: »
    Of course there being forced to buy them, sure everyone is forced into things like that...

Wow, there's some unconstructive replies that could be applied to every post in this forum...
    You seem to think that they should be under some moral obligation to keep prices down for the poor Irish families.
    That's not how business works I'm afraid.

Thanks for the condescending reply.
    I'm well aware of the concept of supply and demand.

I'm also aware of corporate PR, how Pampers constantly portray a very family friendly image and just wanted to knock a bit of a lump out of that image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I think the Lidl/Aldi nappies are far superior to Pampers/Huggies. Pampers don't hold nearly as much wee as the Lidl/Aldi ones.

Do you have them on yourself that you know there like cardboard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭sungear

lidl, aldi, boots, dunnes, own brands are all fine, they seem to hold just as much and are just as useable as pampers and huggies nappies. As they are on only for a few hours I prefer to use the cheapest brand, we apply a barrier cream anyway.
    Cant say Ive noticed the cardboard nature of the cheaper brands mentioned by someone here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Dunnes nappies are fantastic! I haven't tried Aldi or Lidl, mainly because I don't shop there. But with Dunnes own brand at €6.26 and the same size pampers pack for €11.85, there is absolutely no way I would ever pay that again.

Huggies nappies never suited mine. They always leaked and caused nappy rash. So when I started buying Dunnes nappies I had a spare box of pampers on hand for night time and was going to continue like that. But I couldn't justify paying double the price, so we're full time Dunnes now and no problems at all. Wouldn't it be funny if they just bought all huggies nappies and repackaged them :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Cloth nappies FTW. Far, far better than the throw away brands, and far cheaper and better for the environment. If people only knew how easy they were I think more would use them. I'll never go back to disposables full time, we use them the odd time but I can't wait to get back to the cloth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

i balance them.

Use Pampers for nightime nappy and the Lidl ones for the rest of the day.

I find that the Lidl ones dont hold as well the amber nectar as the pampers do over a long period.

Means i only buy a pack of Pampers once a month maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mary28

I used nothing but pampers on my first 2. No 3 is almost 7 mths now and I swapped to lidl 2 mths ago almost by accident. They are virtually half the price of pampers. Yes pampers are a bit nicer but not twice the price nicer and with a family of 5 now the grocery bill is bigger and I realise I am spending way too much in dunnes & there is absolutely nothing wrong with lidl & Aldi. Groceries are getting more expensive but with having babies and extra taxes my income has not increased in the past few yrs. I actually feel a bit silly for using pampers so long when so many had told me lidl nappies were as good.

Yes it's a rip off what papmers are doing. There was an article in the times lately saying lots of companies are doing this - keeping the price the same but reducing the amountnofmproduct. I think birds eye waffles packs have reduced too and some ice cream tubs. The discrepencies between Ireland and England sicken me too but being an island means we are going to be taken advantage of that way unless the government intervenes I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement